PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

PPG Chambers Article

More Marketing…

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11173/1155333-143.stm

Geez, it used to be tough getting a sportswriting job at a mid-sized metro. I am pleased with the coverage, but what manner of hackery is “While Chambers, 40, and the message he stressed – the same one as on the shirts – were nothing short of a foreign concept to a majority of the Nittany Lions fan base, it was a familiar mantra for Chambers.”

I was corresponding with an old colleague of mine from the Times Union who said that copy desks are dead and not coming back. I can imagine the pillorying this would have taken. Overwrought in nearly every paragraph.

I agree tjb…but, in reality I don’t think many(at least in Western PA) actually read much of the story. Thus the entire content is not that important. I would want Pittburghers to see a new face and remember NEW
PSU basketball coach. Hopefully the idea of CHANGE and PSU hoops will be remembered.
Marshall McLuhan coined the phrase “The medium is the message.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_medium_is_the_message

[quote=“tundra, post:1, topic:2509”]More Marketing…

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11173/1155333-143.stm[/quote]

This is an interesting read from the story…

Out late in Philadelphia one night in 2002, [i]Chambers ran into an old friend from high school and her friend[/i] and stopped to talk with them briefly. After he left and headed to the elevator to return home, [i]Chambers was attacked from behind by a husband of one of the women and was stabbed twice in the neck [/i] with a broken wine glass.

Does anyone else think that there is a LOT more to that story !?!?!?!? :-X

[quote="tundra, post:1, topic:2509"]More Marketing...........

Out late in Philadelphia one night in 2002, [i]Chambers ran into an old friend from high school and her friend[/i] and stopped to talk with them briefly. After he left and headed to the elevator to return home, [i]Chambers was attacked from behind by a husband of one of the women and was stabbed twice in the neck [/i] with a broken wine glass.

You’re not kidding. Getting stabbed in the neck while talking to an old friend and her friend motivates you to switch jobs? Kind of throws you off the scent as to why this happened. Sounds like an old flame, of which the drunk hubby was both evidently aware and suspicious. In vino veritas.

As a copy editor, this pains me.

Gerald Henderson (Duke) and Wayne Ellington (UNC) attended high school at Episcopal Academy in Merion, Pennsylvania, both players were being recruited by Jay Wright and Villanova. Chambers was coaching at Episcopal Academy at the time. One could make the assumption that Wright thought Chambers could provide a leg up in recruiting those two players and brought him to Nova in a limited capacity. If he was coaching at another high school without two great players he is probably is still selling printing services. To his credit, he leveraged the opportunity.

Gerald Henderson (Duke) and Wayne Ellington (UNC) attended high school at Episcopal Academy in Merion, Pennsylvania, both players were being recruited by Jay Wright and Villanova. Chambers was coaching at Episcopal Academy at the time. One could make the assumption that Wright thought Chambers could provide a leg up in recruiting those two players and brought him to Nova in a limited capacity. If he was coaching at another high school without two great players he is probably is still selling printing services. To his credit, he leveraged the opportunity.

What does anything you just said have to do with him being attacked? ???

The article is titled “‘Life change’ steers Penn State’s Chambers”. His jump into college coaching likely has more to do with those two players than getting attacked.

Sure but you quoted the post about his attack so the logical assumption is that your post is somehow supposed to relate to that. You should have quoted the original post if that’s what you intended to reference.

[quote="Skeeza, post:4, topic:2509"]Does anyone else think that there is a LOT more to that story !?!?!?!? :-X[/quote]

You’re not kidding. Getting stabbed in the neck while talking to an old friend and her friend motivates you to switch jobs? Kind of throws you off the scent as to why this happened. Sounds like an old flame, of which the drunk hubby was both evidently aware and suspicious. In vino veritas.

If there really were more to the story why in heaven’s name would Chambers continually bring it up. Do you really think he would want to bring ant attention to it? Hell no. He’d want to bury the story.

[quote="Locksmith, post:9, topic:2509"]The article is titled "'Life change' steers Penn State's Chambers". His jump into college coaching likely has more to do with those two players than getting attacked.[/quote]

Sure but you quoted the post about his attack so the logical assumption is that your post is somehow supposed to relate to that. You should have quoted the original post if that’s what you intended to reference.

Slap me Silly

I guess we’ll have to wait for the police reports to be posted on the Smoking Gun.

Will something that old really make it? BTW, I checked that site, and that beach tryst article quite revealing. Guess they were pretty drunk. I thought the digital comment was about wiring the beach hotels for the internet.

[quote="timauman, post:13, topic:2509"]I guess we'll have to wait for the police reports to be posted on the Smoking Gun.[/quote]

Will something that old really make it? BTW, I checked that site, and that beach tryst article quite revealing. Guess they were pretty drunk. I thought the digital comment was about wiring the beach hotels for the internet.

;D

[quote="Skeeza, post:4, topic:2509"]Does anyone else think that there is a LOT more to that story !?!?!?!? :-X[/quote]

If there really were more to the story why in heaven’s name would Chambers continually bring it up. Do you really think he would want to bring ant attention to it? Hell no. He’d want to bury the story.

This is what I find interesting…

Here’s a story about the incident from 2008…
Toohey: ’Nova’s Chambers living a fairytale story

The Newtown Square native was coming home from a night out with friends when he was viciously mugged on Vine Street in Philadelphia. During the attack, Chambers was stabbed in the neck and left to die.

…and here it is from Sporting news from about 2 weeks ago…
Penn State coach Patrick Chambers’ new reality trumps perception

He was a single man out on the town one autumn night when he ran into a woman he knew from high school and two friends of hers, a married couple. Soon afterward, the husband attacked Chambers, stabbing him twice in the neck with a broken wine glass. Chambers has said he believes the man was either drunk or high or both and suspected Chambers was hitting on his wife.

…notice a difference ?? :stuck_out_tongue:

Not really. The second just provides first hand info.

What’s the difference from your perspective?

...notice a difference ?? :P

Not really. The second just provides first hand info.

What’s the difference from your perspective?

Mugging is defined as “assault with intent to rob

The first makes it sound as if it were a random robbery on the street. The second is quite different.

Think you’re reaching a bit, skeeza. Without looking into it at all, isn’t it possible the first story/reports had absolutely no details about the assault and it was initially presumed to be a mugging? Or maybe they just chose an unfortunate word.

What do you really think isn’t being told here?

ESPN’s Jay Bilas Comments on Coach Chambers