PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Post-season depression

OK, after taking two days off for the best two days in sports, my post-season depression is sinking in. Seven months to go.

• We’re in a contact period right now - coaches can talk to seniors off campus. Chambers was in to see Jeter yesterday. That ends March 22 (this Thursday).

• Late signing period: April 11-May 16

• Early signing period for next year: November 14-21

The rules for recruiting are constantly changing. Right now, the staff can call juniors once per month through the end of July, and that’s about it.
In August, the juniors become seniors and can be called twice a week, be contacted off campus on or after Sept. 9 (during contact periods) and can make an official visit after their school year starts.

Also, in August, the rules are going to change and coaches can have off campus contact with juniors at their school and during April, at their school or home.

Anyone with a lawyer handy or a school compliance officer on retainer can take in the whole convoluted hairball, made necessary by the Kentuckys, Connecticuts and Syracuses of the world, in NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Off-Campus Recruiting Guide.

With Norfolk St beating Mizzou and Lehigh (friggin’ Lehigh!!! ;D ) beating the Dukies…well, just good stuff. hard to be depressed by that.

Besides, I’m one of the few baseball fans left, so I’ve got that going for me…

Don’t forget about the mighty Wolverines losing to Ohio. Always a good thing when the Wolverines lose to a MAC team.

I have no problem acting in my rational best interest by always rooting for Big Ten teams out of conference, though I’ve read enough about human behavior now to understand why so many of us don’t. And I’ve made peace with it. :slight_smile: But a strong Big 10 helps Pat Chambers in living rooms this week.

Plus, just like Jay Wright has made me set aside my lifelong contempt for all things Villanova, Beilein is a keeper, too. You can’t imagine him cheating. Same goes for Crean and Izzo. I don’t think Matta does, either, although I don’t quite know that in my soul yet.

C’mon Shaka - Illinois needs you.

Tim, I tried your link but it did not work. Anyway you could edit it?

EDIT - Thank you Tim!

[quote=“Great Santini, post:3, topic:3183”]Don’t forget about the mighty Wolverines losing to Ohio. Always a good thing when the Wolverines lose to a MAC team.[/quote]Even though its tough at times , I always root for the b10 teams when not playing PSU :-\

Additionally, here is an FAQ regarding rule/policy changes for basketball for this off season/next season

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/AMA/legislative_actions_issues/Division%20I/QA/MBB%20Q%20and%20A%20Vol%201.pdf

[quote=“pennst92, post:2, topic:3183”]With Norfolk St beating Mizzou and Lehigh (friggin’ Lehigh!!! ;D ) beating the Dukies…well, just good stuff. hard to be depressed by that.

Besides, I’m one of the few baseball fans left, so I’ve got that going for me…[/quote] I’m counting down the days til the Phils opening series in Pittsburgh. I will be there ready to watch them begin their trek towards a WS ring ;D

Oops, didn’t test it… Here it is (and I will correct it, above, thanks!)

http://pennstatehoops.com/recruiting/Mens%20Basketball%20Guide.pdf

BEAT 'EM BUCS!! ;D

They just may. Phils need Chase and Ryan healthy to make a serious run

[quote="Great Santini, post:3, topic:3183"]Don't forget about the mighty Wolverines losing to Ohio. Always a good thing when the Wolverines lose to a MAC team.[/quote]Even though its tough at times , I always root for the b10 teams when not playing PSU :-\

I more or less root for Bo due to some old ties, but that’s about it. I’m still not enamored of the Big Ten.

[quote="pennst92, post:2, topic:3183"]With Norfolk St beating Mizzou and Lehigh (friggin' Lehigh!!! ;D ) beating the Dukies...well, just good stuff. hard to be depressed by that.

Besides, I’m one of the few baseball fans left, so I’ve got that going for me…[/quote] I’m counting down the days til the Phils opening series in Pittsburgh. I will be there ready to watch them begin their trek towards a WS ring ;D

Actually spend many more hours down at the Little League fields this time of year. My DVR gets a serious workout.

And i agree with PS92…how can you be depressed over watching Norfolk beat Mizzou and LeHIGH beat the dreaded Dukies. Good…no, Great stuff.

Finally, yes Tim…the Illini should open the vault for Shaka.

Every year me and a bunch of my buddies I grew up with rent a house in the Poconos to watch the first games & play cards. It always seems as if instead of enjoying PSU in teh tourney, I’m tracking which player(s) are transferring out. Some day, I hope PSU can reach my dream of making the NCAA 3 out of 5 years with an NIT thrown in there as well.

Did enjoy the Bucknell, Drexel & Lehigh wins thus far.

Don't forget about the mighty Wolverines losing to Ohio. Always a good thing when the Wolverines lose to a MAC team.

I have no problem acting in my rational best interest by always rooting for Big Ten teams out of conference, though I’ve read enough about human behavior now to understand why so many of us don’t. And I’ve made peace with it. :slight_smile: But a strong Big 10 helps Pat Chambers in living rooms this week.

Plus, just like Jay Wright has made me set aside my lifelong contempt for all things Villanova, Beilein is a keeper, too. You can’t imagine him cheating. Same goes for Crean and Izzo. I don’t think Matta does, either, although I don’t quite know that in my soul yet.

C’mon Shaka - Illinois needs you.

Being glad that the rest of the league is good and openly rooting for them to win are two different things in my mind. Other B10 teams winning is a necessary evil, but I’ll still be pretty happy to see UM lose any day of the week.

+1

Buccos end the infamous streak this year.
86 -76

BEAT 'EM BUCS!! ;D

+1

86 -76

I hope you are correct. As a fan of the bucs for 53 years, I love them, but I actually think they will be worse this year. Pitching staff totally shaky.

Here in Pittsburgh, Pens-mania is in full swing. 11-game win streak, team is fully healthy for the first time in two years, and they play the Flyers today at 12:30. If you want a diversion from the tourney, the game will be on NBC and it should be intense.

Keeps the mind off of basketball for a little while.

I was pretty disapointed with that game. I don’t get where this hatred for UM comes from (ok, I do get it, but think it’s unfounded) - I like Michigan fans! The 3 times I have been out there for a game I have been treated with NOTHING but class from their fans. I’ve gotten to the point of liking Michigan - now, Ohio State… that’s an entirely separate issue.

BEAT 'EM BUCS!! ;D

+1

86 -76

83 - 81 The division is weak this year. Reds look OK on paper BUT they stunk on the field last year.

Bucs are going all the way, all the way, all the way…