PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Possible postseason invite?

http://happyvalleyball.com/penn-state-basketball/statseed-update/statsheet-projects-penn-state-as-cbi-team-02-20-2012

Found this on stat sheet. I have no idea what there credibility is. I didn’t realize you could even make a postseason tournament with a losing record. Any thoughts?

If we can qualify, it would be great for these kids to get extra practice.

Pass.

What’s the downside?

Isn’t the CBI the one where you have to pay to enter?

I’m cool with that if it gets our guys some post-season experience. We’re not making the NIT with our RPI right now. If we win two of three down the stretch and steal a BTT victory, we’d probably be a shoe-in for the CBI.

I believe they asked for $60,000 to host a game last year. sees pretty minor if coach thinks there is something to be gained by playing.

I’m guessing if you pay the $60,000 to host, you get to keep a portion of the ticket sales and all concessions, because I read that the CBI claims that most schools that host still make a profit on the game.

so after a little research, he’s how it seems to work apparently:

the cost has been about $35,000 for the first round and increases per round up to $75,000 for the finals. It appears that when you enter the tourney, you agree to pay the fee to host if you win and have to host or you can opt to pay the fee and chose to host.

On the other hand, the school collects money from ticket sales, any additional advertising, and any other profits associated with playing a home game. I have no idea how much PSU generally makes on a home game or how big of a crowd they could draw for a 3rd tier tourney, but it seems like other larger schools have generally broke even or made a small profit. with an average ticket cost of $10, PSU would probably make money in the early rounds with their average regular season attendance.

Pass.

What’s the downside?

The CBI & CIT are pushing basketball to the verge of the Bowl system where over half of the schools are ‘rewarded’ with a post season bid.

Shut the team down, let them get some rest, focus on classes & watch the dance as incentive for next year.

[quote="timauman, post:3, topic:3102"]Pass.[/quote]

What’s the downside?

The CBI & CIT are pushing basketball to the verge of the Bowl system where over half of the schools are ‘rewarded’ with a post season bid.

Shut the team down, let them get some rest, focus on classes & watch the dance as incentive for next year.

Ehh, it’s not really the same thing at all in my view. Outside of a few stragglers in the Ivy League and some conferences that don’t allow everyone in their postseason tournament, you only have 4 teams that will end their season with a win when you count the NCAA, NIT, CBI, and CIT. These tournaments provide a chance to play more games in a tournament setting, which isn’t something you get access to everyday as the coach of a team like PSU or similar schools. Bowl games provide something like 30% of the country to finish on a win, this is like 1% of the country. Not really the same to me.

And how much rest do our guys need? I think a coach would want as much time with the team as possible, you have to remember they don’t have unlimited access to these guys once the season ends.

Exactly, that’s why it’s called the off season.

Consider this…

NCAA - 68
NIT - 32
CBI - 16
CIT - 24

140 of 344 is 41% of DI schools in the postseason. Beyond absurd.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:10, topic:3102"]And how much rest do our guys need? I think a coach would want as much time with the team as possible, [b]you have to remember they don't have unlimited access to these guys once the season ends.[/b][/quote]

Consider this…

NCAA - 68
NIT - 32
CBI - 16
CIT - 24

It’s a lower percentage than teams in the NBA, NHL, and bowls.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:10, topic:3102"]And how much rest do our guys need? I think a coach would want as much time with the team as possible, [b]you have to remember they don't have unlimited access to these guys once the season ends.[/b][/quote]

Consider this…

NCAA - 68
NIT - 32
CBI - 16
CIT - 24

Is that taking away from the main tournament? It’s not like there is a dispute over which is better. I doubt any team feels particularly satisfied by making these other tourneys.

Good discussion thread. I just hope PC makes a solid decision (yes or no) for the good of the kids. Him and his staff and senior players have a good feel for what would be the best course of action.

Ever watch football games where one team is HOPELESSLY behind late in the game and all they do is pass pass pass with the first team still in the game. I think this is foolish. All this does is build stats for players and coaches. ( This is one reason why stats are sometimes meaningless.)
I respect coaches more who put in their subs and run the ball and the clock.
So, I don’t want PC to keep playing ONLY because they are able to get into an event. I want an intelligent (what is best for the kids) decision.

Is that justification?

Then why have them?

I just find it odd that they keep extending the season for more schools while supposedly keeping a closer watch on grad rates.

The reason for a post season is not for more practice time. it’s to crown a champion.

[quote="rwd5035, post:12, topic:3102"]It's a lower percentage than teams in the NBA, NHL, and bowls.[/quote]

Is that justification?

It is justification. This team could use more practice time, and that could be beneficial for next season.

[quote="rwd5035, post:12, topic:3102"]It's a lower percentage than teams in the NBA, NHL, and bowls.[/quote]

Is that justification?

Then why have them?

I just find it odd that they keep extending the season for more schools while supposedly keeping a closer watch on grad rates.

The reason for a post season is not for more practice time. it’s to crown a champion.

I here ya tim. I’m not in favor of these minor league post season events. But I disagree on the REASON of the post season. The REASON is to make money!! PERIOD.
If it was to clown a champ THEN you would only invite conference champs.

Are you calling the postseason a circus act, tundra? :smiley:

Then let’s play the “Change one letter in the word” game…Conference champs play in the NCAA’s, conference chumps play in everything else.

I’m not agreeing with timauman here, but you have to ask yourself, when is enough, enough. I believe that if PC can get more practice time for his young team then he will look to grab it and run with it. i think this is a hungry team that is looking, actually starving for more and more games to improve itself. I would welcome a post season tournament. (Not so much for the back half of my screen name :-[ )

We deal with this stuff in youth sports all the time…when is enough, enough. After a while, the kids get tired and just want some time off, while the parents, who are living their lives through their kids (me included ;D) want them to play in tournament after tournament until you burn them out. So, careful what you ask for.

Is that justification?

It is justification. This team could use more practice time, and that could be beneficial for next season.

The purpose of the post season is not extended practice.

I’d argue this team needs real game time more than it needs practice time. Of course, the end result in this argument is the same.