PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Poll on curley

i’m not sure which it is

Based on the recent string of good hires, I believe “intentional” must be the call. If he was incompetent, we wouldnt have any good coaches at PSU. I think I’ll refrain from answering this time until I see the results of this hire.

I agree and I really hope we come out of this with a good hire. If we come out of this with Kanaskie I think there will be a huge uproar of discontent.

We could do a thousand times worse that Coach Kanaskie. A good man, a good coach.

We could also do ten million times better. In 7 years at Drake he never broke .500 overall or in conference play.

Why hire Fogler to help promote an assistant? I’d be outraged for that alone.

[quote="tjb, post:4, topic:2427"]We could do a thousand times worse that Coach Kanaskie. A good man, a good coach.[/quote]

We could also do ten million times better. In 7 years at Drake he never broke .500 overall or in conference play.

I disagree. Just to be clear. Good coach, good man.

I just don’t think we are in the mindset to find someone demonstrably better, just different.

[quote="tjb, post:4, topic:2427"]We could do a thousand times worse that Coach Kanaskie. A good man, a good coach.[/quote]

I disagree. Just to be clear. Good coach, good man.

I just don’t think we are in the mindset to find someone demonstrably better, just different.

I’d settle for different - meaning somebody with no ties to this program’s past. I’m upset by the Brown story but that was a really long shot anyway. Chambers, Dempsey, Jeter or Matt Brady would be a refreshing change for us. Somebody who has already been an assistant at PSU would NOT be a great move IMO.

Curley does well when he can leverage the extra money PSU can spread around to its high profile but non revenue producing teams.

Unfortunately he has no grasp of the labor market that is men’s college Bball coaching and wants desperately to hire for cheap (So as to keep the pipeline flowing to the other sports that PSU does well in). So we get killed much worse than we should and will have to spend exponentially more to be good just like every other BCS school.

Of the young candidates Jones mentioned in his piece I bet they each bid themselves right out of PSU’s range because they believe this is a BCS job and that the money should be theirs and not the volleyball team.

Thus I put incompetent when it comes to managing an Athletic department that fields a college basketball team in a BCS conf. They give you all sorts of extra money so the expectation is to spend it on the programs that earn it and not rely on a Pegula to save us.

The only way out of this is a letter of reprimand from the Big 10 for failing to spend the money PSU has been given. Any other AD understands this labor market. He is the only outlier.

Can you name a Penn State athletics director who did have a good feel for basketball? Penn State ADs are weaned on football. The last two have been hand-picked by Joe Paterno, but you can go back as far as you want and you won’t find a guy who had a good understanding of basketball or was truly excited by the potential of the sport at University Park. Football is #1 at Penn State, always has been and will remain so for the foreseeable future. If you don’t understand that, you probably don’t know Penn State is in Pennsylvania.

He doesn’t deserve all the credit by himself, but Curley runs one of the most respected, successful and profitable athletic departments in the country. That wouldn’t happen if he was as incompetent as some claim. He oversees 29 sports and only men’s basketball, women’s tennis and women’s golf are perennial problem children as far as W-L outcomes. That’s a ratio most schools would envy.

We’d all like to be better in MBB, but Curley won’t lose his job over MBB frustrations, unless the next coach proves to be a cheater.

Why hire Fogler to help promote an assistant? I’d be outraged for that alone.

This is exactly what I was wondering too. This is like when Rendell hired some consultant to figure out how Penn Dot should plow the roads. It is (or should be) totally unnecessary. I would have thought they had an evolving go-to list available to them at all times. Outraged, no, but disappointed.

[quote=“charnold, post:9, topic:2427”]Curley does well when he can leverage the extra money PSU can spread around to its high profile but non revenue producing teams.

Unfortunately he has no grasp of the labor market that is men’s college Bball coaching and wants desperately to hire for cheap (So as to keep the pipeline flowing to the other sports that PSU does well in). So we get killed much worse than we should and will have to spend exponentially more to be good just like every other BCS school.

Of the young candidates Jones mentioned in his piece I bet they each bid themselves right out of PSU’s range because they believe this is a BCS job and that the money should be theirs and not the volleyball team.

Thus I put incompetent when it comes to managing an Athletic department that fields a college basketball team in a BCS conf. They give you all sorts of extra money so the expectation is to spend it on the programs that earn it and not rely on a Pegula to save us.

The only way out of this is a letter of reprimand from the Big 10 for failing to spend the money PSU has been given. Any other AD understands this labor market. He is the only outlier. [/quote]

Very well thought out post charnold. Is it that simple that Basketball is the sacrifice for the the olympic sports?

[quote=“Evan Ceg, post:10, topic:2427”]Can you name a Penn State athletics director who did have a good feel for basketball? Penn State ADs are weaned on football. The last two have been hand-picked by Joe Paterno, but you can go back as far as you want and you won’t find a guy who had a good understanding of basketball or was truly excited by the potential of the sport at University Park. Football is #1 at Penn State, always has been and will remain so for the foreseeable future. If you don’t understand that, you probably don’t know Penn State is in Pennsylvania.

He doesn’t deserve all the credit by himself, but Curley runs one of the most respected, successful and profitable athletic departments in the country. That wouldn’t happen if he was as incompetent as some claim. He oversees 29 sports and only men’s basketball, women’s tennis and women’s golf are perennial problem children as far as W-L outcomes. That’s a ratio most schools would envy.

We’d all like to be better in MBB, but Curley won’t lose his job over MBB frustrations, unless the next coach proves to be a cheater. [/quote]

Great so I guess I don’t know that Texas is in Texas and tOSU is in Ohio or that Florida is in Florida.

All Big time Football schools that compete in final fours.

Schools can do it. I just like to think if PSU where to hire a Calipari that we would still be clean. Dirty schools are dirty schools where as the clean schools can still spend money and just continue to run a program they way it should be run with their well paid coaches adhering to the school’s standards.

Couldn’t agree more. There is a very deep problem with the athletic department. They are paranoid about men’s basketball. They think success in men’s basketball requires cheating. I’m becoming more convinced of this with every move they make. In fact, I think the whole “Success with Honor” motto implies that PSU believes most schools that are successful in sports get there in a dishonorable way. I’m not really a fan of that motto. I think it points to the bizarre people in our athletic department who think that they have created the only possible way of doing things correctly. Holier than thou attitudes are very dangerous, because the first time you slip up you look like a huge hypocrite, and few will have any sympathy for you.

[quote="charnold, post:13, topic:2427"]Schools can do it. I just like to think if PSU where to hire a Calipari that we would still be clean. Dirty schools are dirty schools where as the clean schools can still spend money and just continue to run a program they way it should be run with their well paid coaches adhering to the school's standards.[/quote] Couldn't agree more. There is a very deep problem with the athletic department. They are paranoid about men's basketball. They think success in men's basketball requires cheating. I'm becoming more convinced of this with every move they make. In fact, I think the whole "Success with Honor" motto implies that PSU believes most schools that are successful in sports get there in a dishonorable way. I'm not really a fan of that motto. I think it points to the bizarre people in our athletic department who think that they have created the only possible way of doing things correctly. Holier than thou attitudes are very dangerous, because the first time you slip up you look like a huge hypocrite, and few will have any sympathy for you.
Interesting comments, while men's BB appears to present more recruiting challenges of following the rules than many other sport ,it has to do with the fact that their is more money at stake than any one of those sports outside of football. It is the school, and its cultural foundation and DNA, and not the sport that matters with staying away from "cheating." Because of our culture and the foundation we have relative to compliance, we should not be afraid of men's BB. Everytime we have the program play at a high level, fan following (first year in the BJC, Atlanta sweet 16 crowd, and 35 buses to NYC for the NIT) I think Penn Staters have shown they will support a successful and consistently competitive BB program. Of course, there will be those that will say we have to be consistent before we know that for sure.

No No No-The PSU Family again??? How has that worked thus far.

I don’t know how anyone could think our AD is out to destroy the only other program that actually makes money for the athletic department. ???

I wanted to vote but since I don’t agree with either of the choices I abstain