PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Pitt, Syracuse apply to ACC

The ACC is my favorite conference, good schools, good basketball, lots more of our alumni through the region than through the midwest. I do think the “similar institutions” argument for the Big 10 is a good one, though. Probably a wash, all things considered.

I still think the BIG will get off their tails and grab Pitt and one other state oriented/public eastern school unless ND finally relents. Then swing over and grab KU and Missouri. Syracuse knows one way or the other that the ACC thing needs to happen. (Best Lacrosse schools in the country). But they will miss MSG more than they realize. But I just don’t think they have a choice.

I guess the ACC wants to be a basketball conference and be a mediocre football one.

Oh wait.

I don’t thing ~itt and Cuse to ACC will happen. But, what do I know. :o

Think TCU regrets joining the Big East now?

[quote=“Tom, post:3, topic:2670”]I guess the ACC wants to be a basketball conference and be a mediocre football one.

Oh wait.[/quote]

As mediocre as the ACC football may be, it’s probably got a better long term future than the Big East.

Sure, it’s a great move for Pitt/Cuse. Just doesn’t get much for the ACC.

Funny thing is the ~itters I know don’t like the idea. Nor does most ~itt message boarders.
~itters LOVE the BigLeast hoop climate and they fear being an unwelcome step child to the tobacco roads schools!

Tundra:

You mean be just like BC. I guess the hope is that, with a larger northeastern presence, all 3 boats would be lifted. Like I said SU will miss the MSG tournament greatly. PSU has missed NYC for 30 years now.

Why not? Both have great legacy football programs(though in Cuse’s case, it’s been awhile) and both ranked above the middle of the pack in basketball. You’re knocking two top 25 teams? Usually above all but Duke and NC. It may hurt their NYC recruiting, as mentioned. But maybe the agreement includes MSG as a venue for a tourney or two. I’m sure the legacy ACC teams won’t argue, and MSG will love it. Big East v. ACC happens all the time there. About 5 years ago, a Duke alum friend saw them play Pitt there, Nov/Dec. Tix were $75 apiece, 16,000+ attendance(Cameron has 9,000), so they’ll work it out. In football, IMO, they’re a big help, and the Big East has not been great for either of those teams, esp since BC left.

Legacy means nothing for football. Pitt and Cuse haven’t been relevant in football for years. Pitt has zero fan base. Cuse’s is only slightly better. They bring no TV ratings.

Not sure if what you said is true or not but I’ve been to basketball games at The RAC (Rutgers), Prudential Center (Seton Hall) and MSG (St. John’s) and Syracuse turns those places into home games. Lots of Syracuse grads in the NYC area (I know a half dozen people from my HS class that went to Syracuse, I live in North Jersey.)

These are all just power plays, in my opinion. It’s going to 4 super-conferences whether people like it or not. Big East and Big XII are odd men out right now, so the remaining members are trying to get into one of the big boys while they still can.

It’s only going to take about 2 more schools actively pursuing new membership for all the dominoes to fall, me thinks.

Legacy means nothing for football. Pitt and Cuse haven't been relevant in football for years. Pitt has zero fan base. [b]Cuse's is only slightly better. [/b] They bring no TV ratings.

Not sure if what you said is true or not but I’ve been to basketball games at The RAC (Rutgers), Prudential Center (Seton Hall) and MSG (St. John’s) and Syracuse turns those places into home games. Lots of Syracuse grads in the NYC area (I know a half dozen people from my HS class that went to Syracuse, I live in North Jersey.)

He’s talking about FOOTBALL because that’s where the TV money is.

I don’t really know ACC football, but it can’t be worse than Big East football, can it? Ga Tech, BC, VTech, Miami, FSU seems like a lot better lot than the Big East. It could revive Cuse and Pitt in football, and the bball conference may be better. Pitt and Cuse would get hurt in recruiting for bball. ACC kids not that likely to go up to Cuse or Pitt vs. the Carolinas or DC area. IMO, this works for all if they can get an ACC tourney(or two) at MSG.

In a strange quirk of fate, Big East founder Dave Gavitt passed away today after a long illness.

I really don’t know what the financial benefits of joining the ACC would be vis a vis staying in the Big Ten, but from an alumni base, demographics, great road trips, reuniting with many traditional rivals, and frankly the relocation of many big companies to ACC country, I would be seriously interested in the ACC.

Frankly, I really dislike Big Ten basketball as typified by Bo Ryan’s Wisconsin lumberjacks and Tubby’s Minnesota IceFishermen. I’ll bet if you asked Pat Chambers, he’d take the ACC in a heartbeat.

I always thought JoePa’s teams in the 1980’s and early 1990’s were built to compete with the Miami’s and FSU’s of the world. Going to the lumbering Big Ten caused Joe to change his whole philosophy.

Here are the road trips:

Charlottesville vs Lincoln, Nebraska
Chapel Hill vs East Lansing
College Park vs West Lafayette
Miami vs Ann Arbor
Tallahassee vs Columbus
Raleigh vs Bloomington
Chestnut Hill vs Minneapolis
Blacksburg vs Champaign Urbana
Atlanta vs Madison

One more thing - remember those marathon road trips Ed and guys went on last year because of snow? You just won’t have that much of that in the ACC.

I would also prefer to play in the ACC if this 4-mega conference thing really went down. Mostly because I still think of us as an East Coast program playing in the Midwest, and I think that really kills us in recruiting. I also happen to like basketball better than football and I think playing in the ACC would be more fun than the Big10 for basketball. Not necessarily better competition year to year, just more interesting and varied.

But once you throw in football…I’d rather have the B1G combo of football/basketball than that of the ACC

I think Big10 football is pretty overrated, personally. And honestly, if it really did become 4 major conferences split up geographically I could easily envision how the east coast conference is going to improve while the mid-west conference would probably slide and become the weakest of the four. It might take 10 years or so to see that, but I do think the major media markets would have a bigger impact on what happened to these conferences in that type of situation, making the coasts stronger.

Then again, that’s all just a bunch of speculation so who really knows what will happen. Just thinking out loud here. :smiley:

But back to what you said… who would you really miss playing in the Big10 besides OSU and Michigan? Maybe Iowa and MSU? Trade those for games with FSU, VaTech, BC, GT, and Clemson and I don’t think you’re losing a ton. Plus if Pitt and Cuse were to also join the ACC and potentially improve to their older ways, you might have a really fun schedule as a football fan - against a bunch of teams that are regionally relevant.

Just more speculation, but I like the sound of it personally.

edit: whoops, forgot we have Nebraska now too! And Wisconsin is becoming a big one also. I move off my statement a little bit now that I reconsider, the big10 isn’t overrated in football so much as PSU is. :-\