PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Pitt has the easiest road to the Final Four

“It’s happening this year, mark it down.” At least that’s what I was constantly told, being a PSU guy in Pittsburgh right now. How amazing was that Butler win? Absolutely crazy game. I thought that Butler got screwed and lost because of that foul, so glad to see the refs at least be consistent in their decisions, even if they are poor.

I am so pumped right now. I can’t wait to discuss this one with my students come Monday, hahaha. ;D

[quote=“State4Life, post:1, topic:2217”]“It’s happening this year, mark it down.” At least that’s what I was constantly told, being a PSU guy in Pittsburgh right now. How amazing was that Butler win? Absolutely crazy game. I thought that Butler got screwed and lost because of that foul, so glad to see the refs at least be consistent in their decisions, even if they are poor.

I am so pumped right now. I can’t wait to discuss this one with my students come Monday, hahaha. ;D[/quote]

On the contrary, I thought Pitt’s region was the most competitive from top to bottom.

:slight_smile:

I am in great joy and relief! This is a very tense time of year for me…I have to pray and hope for an early ~itt loss every year.
Well, it can’t get any better than last night !!

But, you have to feel bad for the 2 kids who made the “mistakes.” …Goes to the “What were they thinking” category!!
But, it shows the “human element” of the sport.

What a great game, one of the craziest endings I’ve ever seen. I can’t remember the last time I was so into a game that didnt involve PSU. Gotta wonder what Robinson was thinking after the missed FT, it was clearly a foul although most Pitt fans would have you believe the refs screwed them. Either way, I’m happy. ;D

Yeah, Dixon seemed a little “sour grapes” at the post game interview. BUT, it was a clear play. Much bigger player has perfect position and you go over the back with arm extended! At that point of the game!! ???
Give me a break.
Dixon should be more concerned about drawing up end game defenses! I remember 3 end game plays where ~itt defended poorly. 3 losses!
Yesterday they give up an uncontested lay-up with 2 seconds!!

I was surprised to learn that Pitt’s last (and only) Final Four appearance was in 1941. That’s a 13 year longer drought than Penn State! Perhaps we should be using this as a recruiting tool. :slight_smile:

Pitt had a brief flirtation with the big time when the Big East’s rising tide raised all boats. It’s when Seton Hall was briefly a power, and UConn and Georgetown became lasting ones.

It’s only since Howland and the over performing Brandon Knight and Chevy Troutman became consistent winners that Pitt became what it is today. For most of time, they were only slightly better than we have been.

Charles Smith & Jerome Lane pounded the glass and sometimes, broke it.

I think that foul might have been left go any other time of the game… Often times the officals will let that stuff go if there’s no advantage gained. However, they knew they put themselves into a “call everything” mode with the foul call at Mid-court and put themselves into the position to call everything thing at the end to make it “even-up”

How in the world does the committee rank Butler as an 8th seed? Talk about a dreadful 2nd round matchup for Pitt. Matt Howard is so good. Give Butler all the credit. Sure they got the break at the end, but they put themselves in the position to take advantage of the break and get the win.

I still don’t get how that’s a break. It was a clear foul, and should be called every time it happens during the game.

By “Break” I meaning the Pitt foul was the dumbest foul I have ever seen. Butler didn’t do anything to cause this. They were fortunate the guy made the bone head move to give them the opportunity to win.

I have to think that the kid lost track of the situation and thought they were down one. Nothing else would even make sense.

Bonehead play by Dixon too. The kid shouldn’t have even been on the line.

[quote="Still in State College, post:14, topic:2217"]I have to think that the kid lost track of the situation and thought they were down one. Nothing else would even make sense.[/quote]

Dixon said he kept guys on the line basically as not to make the shooter uncomfortable.

Great account of the closing seven seconds

[quote="Still in State College, post:14, topic:2217"]I have to think that the kid lost track of the situation and thought they were down one. Nothing else would even make sense.[/quote]

I disagree… I wouldn’t empty the lane and give them a free look with 1.5 sec left. Put 2 guys underneath just to create traffic, but for heaven’s sake don’t foul… the kid should have known that (and been told that from the bench, too!).

I disagree… I wouldn’t empty the lane and give them a free look with 1.5 sec left. Put 2 guys underneath just to create traffic, but for heaven’s sake don’t foul… the kid should have known that (and been told that from the bench, too!).

I would wager more money than I can afford to lose that the kid was explicitly told not to foul.