Pick your bracketbuster

Pick on team seeded 10th or higher to go the furthest in the NCAA Tourny.

Picks
UTEP(12) - Chaze2k, noobd
Old Dominion -
Houston -

I am going to go with UTEP

Good thread. I’ll post one from each region:

Midwest:
I don’t have one really… but if I had to pick one, I’d say San Diego State. If they can slip by the Vols, anything is possible.

West:
UTEP. I watched them lose against Houston and I’m a fan of them… but trust me I’m not biased! Caracter vs Hayward will be a huge matchup in the first round. Winner of that probably wins the game. UTEP has a great chance. They are probably in the most unpredictable 4 set of teams, too. Murray State has a decent chance of beating Vanderbilt as well. Because of that, I’d say UTEP has the best chance. Don’t sleep on Minnesota either. They can definitely beat Pitt if they meet them in the second round.

South:
St Mary’s or Old Dominion. Both have critical first round matchups. Notre Dame has been playing out of their minds, I have them beating the Monarchs. St Mary’s really impressed me against the Zags in the WCC final and Nova is reeling.

East:
No one really. Washington? They’d have to beat Marquette and then New Mexico. Easier than any other team in the region.

Overall:
UTEP probably. Like I said, that 4 set of teams (UTEP vs. Butler, Vandy vs Murray State) is very unpredictable. Remember last year or the year before when there were 2 upsets in one of these middle sets? I think it was Siena and Villanova both winning? It was like a 12 vs 13 in the second round… I could be confusing this with Western Kentucky and some other team… its escaping me. Anyway… this 4 set of teams reminds me of one of these failed examples from years past.

Final answer: UTEP (A team I didn’t even think was that deserving of a bid! lol)

[quote=“noobd, post:3, topic:975”]Good thread. I’ll post one from each region:

Midwest:
I don’t have one really… but if I had to pick one, I’d say San Diego State. If they can slip by the Vols, anything is possible.

West:
UTEP. I watched them lose against Houston and I’m a fan of them… but trust me I’m not biased! Caracter vs Hayward will be a huge matchup in the first round. Winner of that probably wins the game. UTEP has a great chance. They are probably in the most unpredictable 4 set of teams, too. Murray State has a decent chance of beating Vanderbilt as well. Because of that, I’d say UTEP has the best chance. Don’t sleep on Minnesota either. They can definitely beat Pitt if they meet them in the second round.

South:
St Mary’s or Old Dominion. Both have critical first round matchups. Notre Dame has been playing out of their minds, I have them beating the Monarchs. St Mary’s really impressed me against the Zags in the WCC final and Nova is reeling.

East:
No one really. Washington? They’d have to beat Marquette and then New Mexico. Easier than any other team in the region.

Overall:
UTEP probably. Like I said, that 4 set of teams (UTEP vs. Butler, Vandy vs Murray State) is very unpredictable. Remember last year or the year before when there were 2 upsets in one of these middle sets? I think it was Siena and Villanova both winning? It was like a 12 vs 13 in the second round… I could be confusing this with Western Kentucky and some other team… its escaping me. Anyway… this 4 set of teams reminds me of one of these failed examples from years past.

Final answer: UTEP (A team I didn’t even think was that deserving of a bid! lol)[/quote]

You are correct on the Siena and Villanova, it actually happened twice in that year as W. Kentucky and San Diego did as well. year was 2008.

Ah yes, San Diego… thanks. That was the team I couldn’t remember.

I went to that Nova - Siena game in Tampa. Ugly game, lots of FTs. Nova won!

Old Dominion and Houston

No love for Cornell?

Like the Houston choice.

Minnesota???

UTEP…
Then I would go with Minnesota, or Old Dominion…

I think if Cornell can get past Temple (I dont think they will, but if they do) they could find themselves in the S16.

I like Florida to cause some trouble in the tourney but they draw BYU first.

This is a really exciting game. BYU plays great team basketball. Lloyd has been making some circus shots so far for BYU.

Siena.
Will beat a still-in-shock Purdue team.
Will beat an over-rated A+M team.

[quote=“Speed, post:12, topic:975”]Siena.
Will beat a still-in-shock Purdue team.
Will beat an over-rated A+M team.[/quote]

Depends on how the refs call the game. If they call it tight, Siena may win. If Purdue is allowed to play it’s normal very physical game I think Siena is in trouble. They aren’t sneaking up on anyone this year.

My predictions:

San Diego State - FAIL
Washington - Won, need to beat New Mexico to complete
UTEP - Major fail. Couldn’t even watch the game because the OT games pushed it back… it wasn’t even on TV.
Old Dominion - Won, need another to complete.
St Mary’s - Won, need to beat Nova. I had them beating Nova originally, then I switched to Richmond beating Marys… LOL I never go with my gut.

if anyone would picked Ohio, they would been a genius. Rob Mo almost took the title but Nova came back.