PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Pick the New Nittany Lion coach Poll

Just for fun and to get away from the Larry Brown talk, pick who you think Curly will choose

How about Bob Knight?? :stuck_out_tongue:

Its Pat Chambers

I think you ought to expand the choices. It seems like Tommy Dempsey is being mentioned a lot and isn’t a wild card. Also make sure you include Dan Earl, joe crispin, jon crispin, kurt kanaskie and christian appleman. Also include Tim Curley’s son.[sub][/sub]

Added Dempsey, Maybe should ad a option called “PSU Alum or former Staffer” to cover all those option you listed psuarva

[quote=“psuarva, post:3, topic:2431”]Its Pat Chambers

I think you ought to expand the choices. It seems like Tommy Dempsey is being mentioned a lot and isn’t a wild card. Also make sure you include Dan Earl, joe crispin, jon crispin, kurt kanaskie and christian appleman. Also include Tim Curley’s son.[sub][/sub][/quote]haha ;D

Of all the coaches mentioned if its not a home run pick which i doubt will happen, then Chambers is the only guy other then maybe Jeter that i would would get remotely excited about because uncertainty of Chambers is intriguing unlike some of these others.

I don’t know who it will be, but of that list, I’d choose Chambers.

With this list I would go with Chambers.

I voted for Jeter because he seems to have less support than Chambers. I’m fine with either as our next coach.

My vote’s Chambers.

I don’t think Chambers would mind being the guy picked over Larrry Brown. He’ll have fun with it.

He can even roll out this quote about him from Larry Brown

I got to hang out with him and Jay for two years watching them coach at Villanova. I admire the way he loves the game and loves the kids. ....I think he was a big part of Villanova's success

I would have loved to see Larry Brown change our paradigm for a couple of years. Since that is not to be, this is my personal preference list of the “realistic” candidates in order of preference:

1. Chambers – google the u-tube video of a day in his life; very impressive, seems to be a natural leader and personable family guy
  2. Boylen – I go back and forth on whether I prefer the Philly connections (Chambers) or the mid-west connections (Boylen); Philly would be ideal, but will those connections be wasted at PSU?
  3. Jeter – If he learned anything from Bo Ryan, he’s an immediate upgrade.

My outside-the-box, surprised I’m not hearing his name in any discussions, pick:
4. Steve Alford

Well get story as of the weekend there is 10 candidates so I definitely missing a bunch on my poll.

You’re not missing any. You’ve got six specific names listed. Your wild card pick incorporates the other candidates… Kanaskie, Earl, Crispin, and Dunn.

[quote="PSUdraw, post:12, topic:2431"]Well get story as of the weekend there is 10 candidates so I definitely missing a bunch on my poll.[/quote]

You’re not missing any. You’ve got six specific names listed. Your wild card pick incorporates the other candidates… Kanaskie, Earl, Crispin, and Dunn.

Well maybe that should be the “usual suspects” instead wild cards :wink:

Scott Pera is my wild card

http://victorybellrings.com/2011/05/26/darkhorse-candidate-scott-pera/

[quote=“bleedinblue, post:15, topic:2431”]Scott Pera is my wild card

http://victorybellrings.com/2011/05/26/darkhorse-candidate-scott-pera/[/quote]

Pera is intriguing, but does he not have ANY college head coaching experience? I don’t know if that is good or not, but my gut tells me no.

[quote="bleedinblue, post:15, topic:2431"]Scott Pera is my wild card

http://victorybellrings.com/2011/05/26/darkhorse-candidate-scott-pera/[/quote]

Pera is intriguing, but does he not have ANY college head coaching experience? I don’t know if that is good or not, but my gut tells me no.

It’s a rumor on ESPN now that PSU is considering Pera. From me this draws a big WTF? A Penn State grad who did not play college basketball. Adds absolutely zero in terms of recruiting connections. Not even the top assistant at ASU. This would really be a laugher. I’m sure Eddie Folger is happy to collect a paycheck while Curley drums up another boneheaded selection from his PSU-only list of potential coaches. This would be beyond brutal.

It’s a rumor. You’re criticizing the Administration about hiring a guy who may not even be on Curley’s and Fogler’s list. Let’s try to stay a little calmer and wait for an official announcement before we start blasting away.

I guess Pera would be from the PSU family, which when all else fails, we seem to gravitate towards ::slight_smile: Still don’t think this is a good choice.

[quote="psuarva, post:17, topic:2431"]It's a rumor on ESPN now that PSU is considering Pera.[/quote]

It’s a rumor. You’re criticizing the Administration about hiring a guy who may not even be on Curley’s and Fogler’s list. Let’s try to stay a little calmer and wait for an official announcement before we start blasting away.

Fair enough. It’s hard to stay calm because I watched them steer the search off a cliff in 2003. If we think the answer is a pipeline into Annville-Cleona HS I may just stop following the program forever.