Perspective

Happened upon these comments recently.

Original Post: Six recruits signed, moving into the new arena, he deserved to be allowed to coach there. Recruiting into that new state-of-the art building would have been easier and a more level recruiting field for <unnamed recently fired head coach>. I guess he’ll just have to enjoy his buy-out. I know he can still coach, see where he lands while counting his money. I believe <school that recently fired unnamed head coach> made a mistake here.

replies:

Any word on whether or not the recruits are sticking around?

Yeah, the guy had six years to do something and couldn’t do crap. It’s time for a change and I’m excited about it.

I disagree, he took over a team that between the mess <former unnamed head coach> left and probation it might as well of had gotten the death penalty. He had the crapiest facilities in the <unnamed conference which school resides that recently fired unnamed head coach> and to make matters worse with new facilities in the works there was no motivation for the AD to maintain the old ones. He got his team to 24-12(10-6)last year and should have gone to the NCAA’s. His teams have basically played well fundamentally and have pretty much represented themself well off the court and in the classroom. He had a good class coming in…now we will end up starting over again. Just another in a long line of <berated AD at unnamed school> mishandling personnel.

–[i]<recently fired unnamed head coach> is out at <unnamed school> for one reason alone: the guy simply can’t recruit. He is as good an X’s and O’s guy as there is in this conference. In the wise words of a coach I used to coach with: Every coach can coach…not every coach can recruit.

<unnamed recently fired head coach> had six years to clean up the mess and move forward. Instead the program has continued to move backwards. It was time for a move.[/i]

You guys aren’t getting <big name head coach at high profile basketball school>. Could you ever see paying the basketball coach more than the football coach at <school that fired unnamed former head coach>? <big name head coach at high profile basketball school> makes 2.2 million now. <current football head coach at unnamed school that fired unnamed former head basketball coach> makes 2.1 million. No way. Plus, <big name head coach at high profile basketball school> re-upped with a new seven year deal last year and his wife, kids, family love <high profile school at which big name head coach currently coaches>. I think <potential head coach candidate #1> or <potential head coach candidate #2> are better fits.

–If <school that fired unnamed former head coach> does sign a big time coach then it will complete the transition from a football school to a basketball school. Older <nickname for fans at unnamed school> remember the 70’s and know that annual beat downs by <hated intrastate rival> can be alleviated by a winning basketball team.

My point? I was surprised, then amused, then thoughtful on the similarities between much of the language I have read recently on this board and the language I have read on this “other” message board.

From my perspective, perhaps “we are not alone”.

EDIT: Found another comment:

It’s looking like this one MAY be to close to call about if <unnamed recently fired head coach> is coming back or not… based on his (low) salary and his buy-out… NOT going to be based on the performance of his teams I believe…<former head coach fired LONG ago, like Dick Harter> was given the hook much quicker I believe…Don’t get me wrong-I like <unnamed recently fired head coach>-he seems to be running a very clean program…I just think if he hasn’t turned it around by now…he just isn’t going to get it done…I know we lost A LOT of really good players his first year…lost a lot to graduation last year AND this year…but who is really going to be excited about <school that recently fired unnamed head coach> Basketball w// <unnamed recently fired head coach> back in the new arena??? It’s time for a new face for this program…I still shake my head in disbelief thinking the three canidates when <unnamed recently fired head coach> got hired were 1) Mike Anderson 2) Jeff Capel and 3) <unnamed recently fired head coach> …nothing against the guy but honestly who in there right mind would take him out of those three??? <school rallying cry>! Not a <unnamed recently fired head coach> Hater btw! I support <school that recently fired unnamed head coach> every way possible…but I think the writing is on the wall.

and a reply to above post:

Man, thank you for that post…i am getting so tired of people using the facility as an excuse for <unnamed recently fired head coach’s losing! I can count off a number of programs with sub-par facilities that are winners. If you can coach, you can coach! Sure you might have to work harder at times, but regardless a good coach is going to get athletes that fit his system and are winners! <unnamed recently fired head coach has had his chance and his time has passed.

Is there a reason you’re not naming the school? I have a pretty good idea who it is.

Wow, and even this unnamed school’s mascot is kind of like a lion (or, a rival) 8). Interesting though, those comments seem like they could be taken right off this board.

Yes. I wanted people to read the words and draw reflection against what I have read, observed and posted myself here on more than several occasions.

I was hoping that leaving the school out of it, initially, would keep people from immediately replying with comments like “such-and-such school and Penn State aren’t even remotely similar”.

[quote="laoDan, post:2, topic:1045"]Is there a reason you're not naming the school? I have a pretty good idea who it is.[/quote] Yes. I wanted people to read the words and draw reflection against what I have read, observed and posted myself here on more than several occasions.

I was hoping that leaving the school out of it, initially, would keep people from immediately replying with comments like “such-and-such school and Penn State aren’t even remotely similar”.

Gotcha, but honestly it just made me concentrate on figuring out who it was.

[quote="laoDan, post:2, topic:1045"]Is there a reason you're not naming the school? I have a pretty good idea who it is.[/quote] Yes. I wanted people to read the words and draw reflection against what I have read, observed and posted myself here on more than several occasions.

Gotcha, but honestly it just made me concentrate on figuring out who it was.

LOL. That must be the “Columbo” in you. :slight_smile: