Pep Band's New Location

Does anyone else think it is odd that pep band was moved? I would think it has to make it much harder for Ed to be heard in the huddle during TOs with the band so much closer. I’d think you would want the band closer to the opposing bench for that reason. A bit of a head-scratcher for me.

No (easier access for students at the other end?) - but somebody at that end (and it sounded like it was coming from the band) was counting dribbles and shouting as OUR guys were shooting fouls. ???

[quote="psugrad83, post:1, topic:266"]Does anyone else think it is odd that pep band was moved? I would think it has to make it much harder for Ed to be heard in the huddle during TOs with the band so much closer. I'd think you would want the band closer to the opposing bench for that reason. A bit of a head-scratcher for me.[/quote]

No (easier access for students at the other end?) - but somebody at that end (and it sounded like it was coming from the band) was counting dribbles and shouting as OUR guys were shooting fouls. ???

There were RMU fans in the upper deck, section 204 I think, doing that first half.

Wow. I’m not surprised at opposing team’s fan’s behaviour…I guess I’m just surprised that little Bobby Morris has fans who would travel to the BJC.

Note to the “pep” band: Stop playing “Suicidal”. How does that “pep” anyone up?

I heard a version of “Seven Nation Army” by the Oak Ridge Boys on XM today… or are they the original artists?

pretty sure Jack White wrote it. it’s been covered by a lot of artists though.

Are the Oak Ridge Boys still alive and producing music?

Is Tupac?

They moved the band at ED’s request

It looks to me like with the increase in student tickets they plan on seating more students on that end of the court, pushing the band to the other end. I don’t think sound from the band has anything to do with it.

Exactly, the seats behind where the band used to be is where they put extra students first. By flipping the band you can put them closer and fill it more.

Craftsy’s correct. Jack White of the White Stripes wrote it.

As a young kid, White misheard an adult and he thought the Salvation Army was the “Seven Nation Army”.

The White Stripes

Oak Ridge Boys

The Oak Ridge Boys Peform “Seven Nation Army” on SIRIUS XM Artist Confidential

[quote="tjb, post:6, topic:266"]I heard a version of "Seven Nation Army" by the Oak Ridge Boys on XM today.... or are they the original artists?[/quote]

Oak Ridge Boys

I can’t tell if that’s so bad it’s good, or if it’s just bad.

[quote="tjb, post:6, topic:266"]I heard a version of "Seven Nation Army" by the Oak Ridge Boys on XM today.... or are they the original artists?[/quote]

Oak Ridge Boys

It’s just following, or more like renewing the old tradition where a song was meant to be interpreted, NOT replicated by each performer. Shoot, that’s how entire genres, like Rock & Roll got started. Performers interpreting songs of another genre.

Granted, some interpretations are better than others. Johnny Cash’s American Recordings, genius. Pat Boone’s “In a Metal Mood,” not so much, mostly because he can’t sing big band/swing any better than if he had tried to deliver it metal.

If you want to blow your mind, check out Iron Horse. Granted, if you don’t like bluegrass, you’ll really have a WTF reaction. However, the songs that they choose to cover, have the same lyrical theme as the songs Bill Monroe or Earl Scruggs would play. The songs just happen to be originally metal songs.

On the flip side, Thin Lizzy, and later Metallica reworked “Whiskey in the Jar,” which is a traditional Irish folk song.

Cake is another group that can take anything from Gloria gaynor, to Black Sabbath to Sinatra standards and make it their own.

Oak Ridge Boys

I actually like it. It’s kind of amazing how many very different covers of the song that there are.

Some I like:

Kate Nash:

Kate Nash - Seven Nation Army on Jo Whiley

Flaming Lips:

Flaming Lips - Seven Nation Army ( Live )

Some I don’t:

Alice Russell:

Alice Russell - Seven Nation Army (Live in Paris)

Kelly Clarkson:

Kelly Clarkson Performing “7 Nation Army” (Can’t see KC till the way end)

Some I really don’t:

Vitamin String Quartet

The String Quartet Tribute To The White Stripes - Seven Nation Army

Some I REALLY like:

Tribute World Champion Song Seven Nation Army

I’ve often thought (and even proposed) that PSU ought to do a version of the song where the fans are chanting -

Joe, JoePa, PaTer, No
Joe, JoePa, PaTer, No
Joe, JoePa, PaTer, No

I’ll take the original. Jack White, in my opinion, is a genius, and although Meg isn’t much of a drummer, that’s got a beat that even the greenest of drummers could handle.

Proof that David Lee Roth should have consulted Paul Anka before his solo career.

Paul Anka - Jump 2005

I once stood behind Jack White at a Starbucks. #BrushWithGreatness

I once sat (almost) behind Denzel Washington at a basketball game. ;D