PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Pennsylvania

If Jeter commits, we could have five scholarship players from Pennsylvania on the floor in 2013 (when Austin and Thorpe join) and 2014 (when Washington slides in but Jermaine Marshall goes). Has that happened in the modern era?

That, my friends, is how you lock down your home turf. :smiley:

Next step is consistent wins to help lock down the fans

We just can’t just stay focused on Pennsylvania though. Msu doesn’t just focus on Michigan and Indiana ventures out of the state. I agree with keeping top talent but we got to supplement that with outside talent.

Jerry Dunn told us there weren’t any good players in Pennsylvania. Clearly Chambers is doing something wrong. ;D

Last year? Not sure if you meant starters or not.

Jones,Jackson, Buie, Marshall and Bowman.

I think if you throw the words “highly regarded” into your question, it would hold.

Not to go all Lar on you, but I’ll bet you $20 bucks that you will never find a JD quote to back that up.

If Jeter commits, we could have five scholarship players from Pennsylvania on the floor in 2013 (when Austin and Thorpe join) and 2014 (when Washington slides in but Jermaine Marshall goes). Has that happened in the modern era?

I think if you throw the words “highly regarded” into your question, it would hold.

No, I was thinking scholarships! As an apologist, I should have been better informed!

Eh, I’d say Taran doesn’t count. We recruited him out of Albany the same as Talor, he only played his senior year in PA after we had gotten his committment.

The other programs better get in when they can because we are building a border around the state.

Yeah I’m excited to see what PC can do but to say we are building a wall is a little over the top. I’m sure Nova/Temple/St. Joes will continue to pull in top PA talent . We just need to keep pace with them.

We should be trying to build that wall and become THE place in state talent wants to play. Obviously we can’t get everyone – some won’t make the grades, others want to go to school in their home city, some might want to go farther away, and we won’t always have enough scholarships open to take everyone. I love the tweet Geno made about all the others who want to follow him (and the others) to Penn State. And I think it’s fantastic that we are getting early commitments from highly touted players. Let’s hope they develop and we start a TRADITION OF WINNING. In the end, winning is what will keep us headed in the right direction.

With classes of only 2-4 kids on average, you don’t need to (and can’t) “lock down” a state like PA. There are about 7 (give or take) major recruits in PA in any given year. If Chambers can consistently get 2-3 a year from that group, PSU will easily find themselves in the middle of the BT or better.

Yeah, I think all I am hoping for is that we are a viable and important player for PA kids. No more of that “why would he pick Penn State?” stuff.

[quote="spud358, post:13, topic:3220"]With classes of only 2-4 kids on average, you don't need to (and can't) "lock down" a state like PA. There are about 7 (give or take) major recruits in PA in any given year. If Chambers can consistently get 2-3 a year from that group, PSU will easily find themselves in the middle of the BT or better.[/quote]

Yeah, I think all I am hoping for is that we are a viable and important player for PA kids. No more of that “why would he pick Penn State?” stuff.

Right. I agree. But I go a step further and think we should become THE place kids want to go. You read stories (Derek Day for example) of kids growing up wanting to play football for Penn State. Basketball can be the same way. Sure we have recruiting challenges, etc. But with the current recruiting momentum, some success on the court can propel us to that next level in a hurry.

Sure we all hope we become “THE place” to play basketball in PA but that is going to take some serious work. You have some established big time programs your going to have to catch up to and pass. I love that PC has stepped up the recruiting game at PSU ,but like TJB mentioned I just want the “Why would you go to psu?” stuff to go away and see more of the “Why wouldn’t you go to psu?”.

Sure, we are already seeing that. Thorpe tweeted that these very comments are becoming a thing of the past. Kids want to join them at PSU now instead of wondering why they are going to PSU.

I do take this all for what it’s worth – none of these kids has signed a Letter of Intent yet. So this house PC is building isn’t made of brick and mortar yet. But I’m sure optimistic that he’s getting us there.

BBall is essentially recruiting 3 schollie players per year. To think that PSU can’t have at least 10 or 11 players out of PA on the roster with maybe a kid or two from NY/NJ area is crazy. There is plenty enough talent in PA on a year to year basis to field a team that is light years ahead of where this program has ever been as long as we get near the top talent. Locking down PA is great strategy if Pat can get the top tier type talent level. Give me a top player at of the greater Philly area plus a top player out of Western Pa and then let me cherry pick the rest of the state for the 3rd player 2 out of every 3 years and you will field a Top 20 team that makes the tourney on a yearly basis.

Sure we all hope we become "THE place" to play basketball in PA but that is going to take some serious work. You have some established big time programs your going to have to catch up to and pass. I love that PC has stepped up the recruiting game at PSU ,but like [b]TJB mentioned I just want the "Why would you go to psu?" stuff to go away and see more of the "Why wouldn't you go to psu?".[/b]

Sure, we are already seeing that. Thorpe tweeted that these very comments are becoming a thing of the past. Kids want to join them at PSU now instead of wondering why they are going to PSU.

I do take this all for what it’s worth – none of these kids has signed a Letter of Intent yet. So this house PC is building isn’t made of brick and mortar yet. But I’m sure optimistic that he’s getting us there.

No offense but Im not going to assume all PA kids want to come to PSU based on a Geno Thorpe tweet. We’re not there yet but hopefully some day we will be :wink:

We just can't just stay focused on Pennsylvania though. Msu doesn't just focus on Michigan and Indiana ventures out of the state. I agree with keeping top talent but we got to supplement that with outside talent.

BBall is essentially recruiting 3 schollie players per year. To think that PSU can’t have at least 10 or 11 players out of PA on the roster with maybe a kid or two from NY/NJ area is crazy. There is plenty enough talent in PA on a year to year basis to field a team that is light years ahead of where this program has ever been as long as we get near the top talent. Locking down PA is great strategy if Pat can get the top tier type talent level. Give me a top player at of the greater Philly area plus a top player out of Western Pa and then let me cherry pick the rest of the state for the 3rd player 2 out of every 3 years and you will field a Top 20 team that makes the tourney on a yearly basis.

The most important thing about getting PA kids is that these kids know other kids from PA. And their fans will follow Penn State because they play here. And that fan base will continue to expand as more and more kids from PA end up on the roster. Frazier has been a great player for us. But he likely hasn’t generated much interest in PSU in the Houston area outside of his immediate family and friends. Having kids like Newbill, Thorpe, Austin, Washington, Taylor, etc. coming to PSU guarantees more coverage in areas we need more coverage. And also gets more people from PA watching the BTN when PSU is playing. And that is all good stuff.