PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Penn State Rankings

Since #21 lost and our NET came out after the fact as #18, do we move up this week even though we played a mega-cupcake?

I tend to think we may move up a spot or two

That is what we call “poll inertia” and I’d be surprised if we did.

1 Like

I think we will move up one.

Tennessee is almost certainly going to drop out, so there’s a chance we move up a spot.

1 Like

Not only that but with Texas Tech and WVU having unimpressive wins this week it is unlikely they will jump us. Utah’s crushing loss to San Diego State after their upset win over Kentucky will stop them from jumping us as well should they find themselves in the rankings. If a new (or a team that was ranked prior) team jump in it’ll likely be #25.

#22 Washington - who really doesn’t belong anywhere near the Top 25 - is no lock to beat Ball State tonight. They’ll have to earn that.

We were only 31 points behind them. They are 39th in NET… Maybe that’ll influence some people.

1 Like

Poll inertia? Nah, it’s called teams in front of us losing

1 Like

I’ve been surprised at what bring a top 25 team does to a team’s reputation, so I’d like to see Penn State stay there. On the merits, probably a bubble poll team, though.

Opening Big 10 swing is critical. Hawkeyes are very good, Rutgers a winnable road game, Wisconsin a “should protect home floor” game.

Get through that 3-0 somehow, should “feel” like Penn State is very much for real. 2-1, very much on track. Anything less and need to recalibrate.

1 Like

I wouldn’t leave out at Minnesota in there either, they can be pretty tough at home and as we’ve seen in conference play this year, it’s tough to win away. I think it’s pretty crucial for us to get to 3-1 over the next four Big Ten games. After that, we have a pretty difficult stretch of games where we play Ohio State, at Michigan and at Michigan State over a period of 5 games. I fear some of the juice/momentum we have right now could fade if we start conference play like 4-7/5-6.

1 Like

Wait, so the hype isn’t baloney? :wink:

1 Like

The hype is misplaced. What should be hyped is KenPom Top 25 not the AP. Much more meaningful.

3 Likes

Probably not. And not swiss cheese either :cheese:

I was perusing a short list of reduced form college box scores that were printed Saturday morning in the Washington Post. My first thought was “why is the Penn State - CCSU box score here?” Then I remembered they routinely list box scores from all AP top 25 games. It’s been a long time.

3 Likes

Shouldn’t the NET be more meaningful? We’ve ranked high in KenPom before and diddn’t do anything.

1 Like

I spent part of my afternoon (teacher on a 2 week break :slight_smile:) reading up on KenPom to better understand it, now that I have the free time. I’m onboard with this stuff now

1 Like

You’re never getting that back

1 Like

I’m fine with that, it was a good investment of my time. After drinking too much craft beer last night, I could use the mental stimulation :wink:

2 Likes

Davis pulled us from his ballot, citing Maryland’s loss as a negative for Penn State as it devalues our win over them

1 Like

Who is Col?

Colorado, they’re 10-2.

1 Like

Seth is a blithering fool.

He has Duquesne in there before being told they lost today.

2 Likes