Penn State pulls out of 76 Classic

Ouch…

http://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2010/4/12/1416161/2010-early-season-tourneys-a-super

Wow. ???

Maybe Juniata suddenly had an opening.

Ouch? As bad as PSU has done in these type of tourney’s the last few years… might be a good thing.

Sounds like there was some truth to that rumor.

No reason to get worked up until we see the full schedule.

But I sure hope they know what they’re doing this time around to give up some quality games like that.

Updated schedule…

Confirmed:
VT (Away)
ACC/Big10 Challenge (Home)

Rumored:
Lehigh (Home)
Ole Miss (I’m guessing it’s a home game)

Outside shot:
BYU (Neutral - Albany, NY)

Major blow to the schedule so far. They are scheduling to make the 96 field! :smiley:

Wow, I didn’t see that coming. But you are right Cappy about us stinking up the place in early season tournaments. But I still think you improve by playing better teams. How much can you learn by stomping on the bottom third?

[quote="CAPPY, post:4, topic:1113"]Ouch? As bad as PSU has done in these type of tourney's the last few years.......... might be a good thing.[/quote]

Wow, I didn’t see that coming. But you are right Cappy about us stinking up the place in early season tournaments. But I still think you improve by playing better teams. How much can you learn by stomping on the bottom third?

Hopefully several seasons against big 10 teams has given us the experience necessary to put a good season together next year. if they haven’t picked up on it by now, it ain’t happening with an extra tournament for this group.

LeHigh is all but confirmed.They said “see you for LeHigh” at the basketball banquet.And I think pulling out is confirmed by the 76 website’s chart http://www.76classic.com/release112709.php

I am disappointed though - i would’ve liked to see us play a few of those squads, it’s not often you see an OK State or Stanford on the schedule. Even UNLV would be a fun matchup.

Could be that travel $$ were a consideration. Taking the team to CA for a week may have turned out to be a little too expensive and a little too much wear and tear on the team.

Did the school announce this as well?

[quote=“noobd, post:6, topic:1113”]Updated schedule…

Confirmed:
VT (Away)
ACC/Big10 Challenge (Home)

Rumored:
Lehigh (Home)
Ole Miss (I’m guessing it’s a home game)

Outside shot:
BYU (Neutral - Albany, NY)

Major blow to the schedule so far. They are scheduling to make the 96 field! :D[/quote]

I wouldn’t count on the BYU game. BYU may cancel the Vermont game if Jimmer gets drafted, but short of that, they obviously wanted a game for Jimmer, and PSU obviously didn’t put the same emphasis on it, but I doubt BYU would play twice. Has to be money which kept PSU from scheduling. Couldn’t get the Times Union Center, and didn’t want Glens Falls. BYU didn’t care about the money, certainly not as much, Vermont probably makes enough, and PSU didn’t like the numbers. Why take so long making up their mind? It seemed like they wanted the 16,000 seats, not about 1/3 of that. The only thing that it might be other than that was that Jimmer really wanted Glens Falls, not Albany. But PSU still could have done that. It’s not like they haven’t played before 5,000 people before.

Then why schedule it to begin with?

Remember guys Curley has a vision for the program. :wink:

Extremely disappointing! I can’t imagine putting anything together at this late date that would soften this blow. Will there be an explanation forthcoming?

I could see money being an issue, what would it cost to send about 20 guys in total out to Cali for a 5+ days. 20 hotel rooms at $150-$200 a night (they aren’t staying at the Super 8) for 5 nights is $15,000 plus probably a $100 per diem when all is said and done, plus plane in and out, transportation, etc…probably talking $30,000 to $50,000 by the time it is all said and done. That is not chump change.

I don’t understand why PSU doesn’t schedule more local tourney’s that are easier to get, potential for a couple of PSU fans to show up, and go from there. There have to be tourney’s in Philly/NYC/Maryland, even Ohio that would be a whole lot easier to get to and from.

I’m not doing anything more than reporting what I saw on BBall travelers. But Pitt is looking for a game that same weekend as the 76 Classic.

[quote=“Cletus11, post:16, topic:1113”]I could see money being an issue, what would it cost to send about 20 guys in total out to Cali for a 5+ days. 20 hotel rooms at $150-$200 a night (they aren’t staying at the Super 8) for 5 nights is $15,000 plus probably a $100 per diem when all is said and done, plus plane in and out, transportation, etc…probably talking $30,000 to $50,000 by the time it is all said and done. That is not chump change.

I don’t understand why PSU doesn’t schedule more local tourney’s that are easier to get, potential for a couple of PSU fans to show up, and go from there. There have to be tourney’s in Philly/NYC/Maryland, even Ohio that would be a whole lot easier to get to and from.[/quote]

Would it be any more expensive than the other recent tournaments?

I would think that people putting on the tournament would be ones to flip some of the cost of the teams being invited or is that against NCAA rules. Reason I say that is it has to be awful expensive to go to the Maui Invitational for teams on the east coast.

Maui Invitational has had 4 or more schools from east of the Mississippi the past four years and next year, too.