PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Penn State Plus/Minus numbers

I wish I had found this site sooner.

This info isn’t current but it’s interesting none the less.

The guy that runs the site, Basketball-Statistics.com, stopped updating it at the end of January (he’s a Harvard student and the rumor is that he was hired by some pro team and was committing his time to them not the site), but I know the info is of interest to some even though it isn’t up-to-date.

First the plus minus numbers for individuals.

Now an explanation:

These plus/minus numbers are what’s called on/off numbers. It’s a comparison of what the team does while the player is on the court vs what it does when he is off the court projected out to a normal 66.5 possession game. So if a players Net Offensive Plus Minus is 10.0, like Andrew Jones is (the best on the team), it means that the team averages 10 more ppg when he is on the floor than when he is off. Positive numbers are good.

Conversely, if a players Net Defensive Plus Minus is -6.9, like Talor Battle’s is (the best on the team), it means that the team averages giving up 6.9 fewer ppg when he is on the floor than when he is off. Negative numbers are good in this case.

The Net Overall Plus Minus is simply the Defensive Plus Minus subtracted from the Offensive Plus Minus.

The Total Plus Minus is what people normally thing of when they talk about plus minus numbers. It’s the difference between the points scored while the player is on the court minus the points scored by the opponent.

The final column Possessions On Court is simply the number of possessions that the player was on the court for.

According to this, Sasa is as bad defensively as many suspect and Bill Edwards is better for our defense than many have suspected.

A bit surprising Babb’s defensive number is so high, most suspect he’s a good defender although it’s not really a 1 to 1 thing - it definitely is strange that we seem to do worse defensively while he’s out there. Wouldn’t have guessed that.

And obviously it’s just surprising in general that AJ is leading us overall in +/- but he certainly has been playing better recently… nobody’s numbers are particularly awful or great, but that’s probably because we’ve played so many close games I guess?

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:2, topic:917”]According to this, Sasa is as bad defensively as many suspect and Bill Edwards is better for our defense than many have suspected.

A bit surprising Babb’s defensive number is so high, most suspect he’s a good defender although it’s not really a 1 to 1 thing - it definitely is strange that we seem to do worse defensively while he’s out there. Wouldn’t have guessed that.

And obviously it’s just surprising in general that AJ is leading us overall in +/- but he certainly has been playing better recently.. nobody’s numbers are particularly awful or great, but that’s probably because we’ve played so many close games I guess?[/quote]

Remember these number don’t include any of the February games where we actually played well.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:2, topic:917"]According to this, Sasa is as bad defensively as many suspect and Bill Edwards is better for our defense than many have suspected.

And obviously it’s just surprising in general that AJ is leading us overall in +/- but he certainly has been playing better recently.. nobody’s numbers are particularly awful or great, but that’s probably because we’ve played so many close games I guess?[/quote]

Remember these number don’t include any of the February games where we actually played well.

oops, i overlooked that part in your post. Hmm… even more surprising then.

Very interesting. I would imagine that good coaches have this type of breakdown or something very similar.