Penn State--Penn Tv Replay

Just saw that it is on BTN @1 tomorrow.

That’s now today, Monday Nov 16, at 1 pm.

Do you mean like in 2 hours… ;D

BTW, the Robert Morris game will be airing on tape delay Tuesday at 11:00am and again at 11:30pm. Listed at “Student U”.

[quote="tjb, post:2, topic:250"]That's now today, Monday Nov 16, at 1 pm.[/quote]

Do you mean like in 2 hours… ;D

BTW, the Robert Morris game will be airing on tape delay Tuesday at 11:00am and again at 11:30pm. Listed at “Student U”.

I watched the first half and I have to give props to the broadcasters. I don’t know it they were the same kids or a couple of new ones but they certainly learned from some of the shortcomings from the first game. The play-by-play guy was much more attentive to the game score and time remaining than previously. I also noted on a couple of occasions that where he named the players on the floor. That’s a wise thing to do in a game that’s going to be edited later - and should be considered a MUST when coming out of a time out. Props to him for doing that.

Speaking of editing, a big thumbs down to whomever made the cuts for this game. If you are going to edit a game into pieces, it’s an absolute given that those pieces should be in chronological order when they are put back together. Believe it or not, they actually got the game order wrong at one point. They took a commercial break with PSU trailing 12-10, then came in the middle of a sentence with the announcers talking about Denzel Washington. PSU got a bucket to three pointer from Brooks which made the score 16-12 Penn State, so we missed a bucket (and about a minute of play). No big deal there (although I would have preferred a cut that didn’t come in in mid sentence). They continued with play until the score got to 24-17, then we inexplicably got to see the minute of play that they cut out earlier. That cut was inserted right into the play action and not during a timeout either.

I still think the play-by-play was a little too much radio type (but was better than the first game). You don’t have to tell us when a shot goes up or a pass is made because we can easily see it. But what we might not be able to do is identify the player. So a radio type call of “Battle dribbles at the top of the key, feeds the ball down low on a bounce pass to Ott. Ott fakes left, spins right, and lays it in” can be shortened to “Battle… to Ott… up and in”. We can see all the other stuff but we may not be able to ID the player who’s doing it so naming the guys is helpful, but describing specifically what’s going on on the ball is overkill.

In my mind, the announcer should be describing the flow of the game and how it changes, in intensity, type of defense, personnel, etc. rather than just echoing the on ball action which is important for radio but not TV. If a player does something that will get him into the box score, then name him. If he doesn’t, you can leave his name out of the action.

Still, these guys were much better than the first pair - or if they were the same guys, they stepped up their game (as JoePa is wont to say, you make your biggest improvement between your first and second games, and these guys did).

Here’s hoping they are even better tonight.

I like how the BigTenNetwork.com site has a promo for Live Basketball this november in HD quality on the site, and when the announcer says “Check out the games available this week” it shows PSU vs. Slippery Rock, among others.

Really freakin’ impressive.

I’m guessing that the BigTen network is just using the same kids who are doing the PSU ComRadio play by play. If so, they have to call it like a radio broadcast, since their main concern is the ComRadio audio feed, not the BigTennetwork video.

Since ComRadio does a live audio broadcast for every home game, and already have their booth set up, I doubt that there is a second set of students calling the BigTen video.

[quote="UncleLar, post:4, topic:250"]I still think the play-by-play was a little too much radio type (but was better than the first game). You don't have to tell us when a shot goes up or a pass is made because we can easily see it. But what we might not be able to do is identify the player. So a radio type call of "Battle dribbles at the top of the key, feeds the ball down low on a bounce pass to Ott. Ott fakes left, spins right, and lays it in" can be shortened to "Battle... to Ott... up and in". We can see all the other stuff but we may not be able to ID the player who's doing it so naming the guys is helpful, but describing specifically what's going on on the ball is overkill.[/quote]

I’m guessing that the BigTen network is just using the same kids who are doing the PSU ComRadio play by play. If so, they have to call it like a radio broadcast, since their main concern is the ComRadio audio feed, not the BigTennetwork video.

Since ComRadio does a live audio broadcast for every home game, and already have their booth set up, I doubt that there is a second set of students calling the BigTen video.

I’m pretty sure that your guess is wrong. There’s no mention of the radio station during the broadcast which is pretty solid evidence that they aren’t using the radio feed. I also think the radio station uses the same two guys every week while the BTN.com broadcast plan is to give multiple kids the opportunity to call a game.