PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Penn State Men's Basketball Student/Adult Season Tickets

Picked this up off of the NITTANY NATION page on facebook today:

BREAKING: Penn State Men’s Basketball Season Tickets this year are just $40!!! Season ticket benefits include: Early entry to every single game, a Nittany Nation t-shirt, a preseason cookout with the team, weekly e-mail messages from the players and coaches, and preferred seating at Hoops Madness!! Purchase your season tickets next week with your football tickets!

Ok, who will be the first to do the math to see is $40 is a scam as compared to individual game tix:)

[quote=“Tom, post:2, topic:3320”]Ok, who will be the first to do the math to see is $40 is a scam as compared to individual game tix:)[/quote] It most likely still will be, but I appreciate the effort. Between the T-shirt(which is impossible to get as a non-season ticket holder) and the cookout, its much better than last year at only 40 bucks.

[quote=“CAPPY, post:1, topic:3320”]Picked this up off of the NITTANY NATION page on facebook today:

BREAKING: Penn State Men’s Basketball Season Tickets this year are just $40!!! Season ticket benefits include: Early entry to every single game, a Nittany Nation t-shirt, a preseason cookout with the team, weekly e-mail messages from the players and coaches, and preferred seating at Hoops Madness!! Purchase your season tickets next week with your football tickets![/quote]

FANTASTIC !!!

This is one of the steps needed to build a student following. No disrespect to Chambers, but this will go light years beyond a golf cart and megaphone.

There are at least 12 games that these season tickets cover (including OSU and MSU), which makes for $3.33 per game with the season ticket package.

Individual student season tickets are $5. So if you go to 8 games (only 2/3), then you break even with season ticket holders, however they have numerous perks (and better ones this year), including the cookout that was mentioned before.

Ok, who will be the first to do the math to see is $40 is a scam as compared to individual game tix:)

There are at least 12 games that these season tickets cover (including OSU and MSU), which makes for $3.33 per game with the season ticket package.

Individual student season tickets are $5. So if you go to 8 games (only 2/3), then you break even with season ticket holders, however they have numerous perks (and better ones this year), including the cookout that was mentioned before.

That’s not why season tickets were/are a ripoff. There were 18(?) home games last year, so even that was just above 3 dollars a game. The problem was, you could get into every single non-conference game for free because of promotions. Then, like most season ticket holders, I couldn’t go to any of the winter break games. Then, during conference play, there were only 5 games I counted that students could not get into for free. So that left me as a season ticket holder with essentially a cost of 12 dollars a game, not counting the 2 I missed because of THON.

It will most likely be the same this year, but again, it’s alright. I appreciate the effort they’re making, and I look at the T-shirt as a 20 dollar value, so 20 bucks for tickets isn’t bad at all.

Picked this up off of the NITTANY NATION page on facebook today:

BREAKING: Penn State Men’s Basketball Season Tickets this year are just $40!!! Season ticket benefits include: Early entry to every single game, a Nittany Nation t-shirt, a preseason cookout with the team, weekly e-mail messages from the players and coaches, and preferred seating at Hoops Madness!! Purchase your season tickets next week with your football tickets!

FANTASTIC !!!

This is one of the steps needed to build a student following. No disrespect to Chambers, but this will go light years beyond a golf cart and megaphone.

This will do absolutely nothing to boost student attendance. The people buying tickets either a)would buy them for any reasonable price or b)bought them with their football tickets because they were there.

[quote="Tom, post:2, topic:3320"]Ok, who will be the first to do the math to see is $40 is a scam as compared to individual game tix:)[/quote]

That’s not why season tickets were/are a ripoff. There were 18(?) home games last year, so even that was just above 3 dollars a game. The problem was, you could get into every single non-conference game for free because of promotions. Then, like most season ticket holders, I couldn’t go to any of the winter break games. Then, during conference play, there were only 5 games I counted that students could not get into for free. So that left me as a season ticket holder with essentially a cost of 12 dollars a game, not counting the 2 I missed because of THON.

It will most likely be the same this year, but again, it’s alright. I appreciate the effort they’re making, and I look at the T-shirt as a 20 dollar value, so 20 bucks for tickets isn’t bad at all.

I think there were only 2 games where the athletic department actually made it free (the grey t-shirt one and maybe another). The other were actually alumni that bought ~500 student tickets and donated them to the athletic department to give away to students (I hope that sentence made sense).

Either way, the Athletic Department knows about this complaint and plan on adjust. It’s interesting cause from the rumors that I have heard, the reason they did it was cause Pat Chambers told them that he doesn’t care what they have to do, that Chambers wants people in those seats.

Trust me, they know about this complaint though.

[quote="Tom, post:2, topic:3320"]Ok, who will be the first to do the math to see is $40 is a scam as compared to individual game tix:)[/quote]

I think there were only 2 games where the athletic department actually made it free (the grey t-shirt one and maybe another). The other were actually alumni that bought ~500 student tickets and donated them to the athletic department to give away to students (I hope that sentence made sense).

Either way, the Athletic Department knows about this complaint and plan on adjust. It’s interesting cause from the rumors that I have heard, the reason they did it was cause Pat Chambers told them that he doesn’t care what they have to do, that Chambers wants people in those seats.

Trust me, they know about this complaint though.

Yea, I get that some of it was independent donations. I think the last three games there was something similar going on. I also know that for a few of them they couldn’t even give them all away for free.

Yeah, simply put, it was a bad season. I do like the outlook for this season with Newbill and Frazier together, not to mention the progress we saw in Travis and Graham.

Penn State 2012 Student Football and Basketball Season Ticket Sales Begin Monday, June 18

Random observations.

I had to click into the “Quick Start” PDF a couple layers deep to know how much football season tickets cost this year.

I hate when I’m told “you can’t use Modern Browser X” to complete whatever I’m asked to complete. Sorry, but Google Chrome is as viable as any browser out there right now (noting that I’m still a Firefox holdover). PSU/Ticketmaster should be embarrassed not to support it.

I would be happy to break down the reasons as to why PSU students should NOT buy student basketball tickets (I’ve performed my analysis on here again).

When I was there (man, I feel old saying that) from 07-11, the “exclusive” t-shirts handed out “only” to season-ticket holders were often handed out throughout the year. Case-in-point: I have three or four t-shirts from 2008-2009 (the year of the NIT championship) because as the season went on, and the BJC had student white-outs (Iowa, Illinois), they would pass them out like hotcakes.

My advice:

Buy your tickets ala carte.

Without season tickets, if you arrive 5 minutes before tipoff, you’ll miss tipoff waiting in line. With season tickets, you can walk right in. I’ve always thought of that as a perk worth the slight premium.

Any word on whether the games during fall break, winter break, and spring break will be included? Not including those games in the student season ticket package is, in my opinion, totally bizarre.

[quote=“Chris11, post:13, topic:3320”]Without season tickets, if you arrive 5 minutes before tipoff, you’ll miss tipoff waiting in line. With season tickets, you can walk right in. I’ve always thought of that as a perk worth the slight premium.

Any word on whether the games during fall break, winter break, and spring break will be included? Not including those games in the student season ticket package is, in my opinion, totally bizarre.[/quote]

They’ve always been included, they’re usual season tickets.

If you’re a student and in town, you can usually get a free ticket for those games over breaks.

I just wish they would stop calling them tickets and start calling them credentials.

It basically a standing room only section right now with direct access to the floor. (Or should be rebuilt as one) Figure out how many people can stand in a section. Use both the area across from the benches and the pull out sections behind the 2 baskets around the pep band. Might be 3 or 4 thousand if you can remove the seats and build pass throughs for the between the baseline seats. But set up ushers to check credentials (with matching photo ID)

Fire codes can be worked around by tarping off the first 5 rows of permanent seats behind the baskets. They don’t sell well anyway and wont been seen if everyone is standing in front.

Sell this and only this in the preseason. Otherwise just reserve sections on the middle and upper deck for students and comp them or sell them for less. It does not matter only those with credentials Wrist bands can get into the court area. Different product different price.

Not same product/different price depending on how you time your purchase.

Simple right?

[quote=“charnold, post:16, topic:3320”]I just wish they would stop calling them tickets and start calling them credentials.

It basically a standing room only section right now with direct access to the floor. (Or should be rebuilt as one) Figure out how many people can stand in a section. Use both the area across from the benches and the pull out sections behind the 2 baskets around the pep band. Might be 3 or 4 thousand if you can remove the seats and build pass throughs for the between the baseline seats. But set up ushers to check credentials (with matching photo ID)

Fire codes can be worked around by tarping off the first 5 rows of permanent seats behind the baskets. They don’t sell well anyway and wont been seen if everyone is standing in front.

Sell this and only this in the preseason. Otherwise just reserve sections on the middle and upper deck for students and comp them or sell them for less. It does not matter only those with credentials can get into the court area. Different product different price.

Simple right?[/quote]

So, you want there to be even fewer students attending games? Because if the system worked like this, it would be a disaster. And I’m speaking as someone who would benefit from your proposed plan.

I just wish they would stop calling them tickets and start calling them credentials.

Sell this and only this in the preseason. Otherwise just reserve sections on the middle and upper deck for students and comp them or sell them for less. It does not matter only those with credentials can get into the court area. Different product different price.

Simple right?

So, you want there to be even fewer students attending games? Because if the system worked like this, it would be a disaster. And I’m speaking as someone who would benefit from your proposed plan.

Um check me if I am wrong but I don’t see more than 1-2000 kids attending rank and file big 10 games. (Mostly filling the section between the baseline.) Yes the bigger games get up to 3-5,000 kids (Must be if the max attendance is 11-12K as we have about 7k adult season tickets “Sold”).

I am just saying crush that same larger number of students into a smaller section closer to the floor by removing seats. Don’t see how that results in less. But it might encourage more advance sales. (If you cant sell the far away seats day of game you never will in either system).

Just a blanket statement with no support that I didn’t appreciate really.

That being said I would change the system to wrist bands or something more convenient for the ushers/students and not have to stand in line forever. Just scan your PSU ID to enter and get a wrist band or mark it like they would with a concert pit. But I think this is only way to sell tickets in advance and not be cannibalized in season unless the team ends up in the final 4 next year. (Which would make things easier)

I received my adult PSU hoops season ticket invoice in the mail today, due by 7/23. Here’s hoping the entire non con schedule is released by then.

I’m not exactly sure what your logic is here, but the adult season ticket number is much much less than 7K (my guess is maybe 4K).