PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Penn State Men's Basketball: Next Game Primer - at Northwestern

Penn State Men’s Basketball: Next Game Primer - at Northwestern

We’re about 4 point doggies, last I checked this morning. NW has the best homecourt (vs their road play) in the big10 according to massey…I’d say we have our hands full.

I just looked up “must win” in the dictionary and it is defined as Penn State at Northwestern.

Aren’t they all “must win” games for PSU at this point?

[quote="GoSpikes, post:3, topic:1988"]I just looked up "must win" in the dictionary and it is defined as Penn State at Northwestern.[/quote]

Makes me wonder… let’s say we can only win 2 of the next 3. Which 2 would benefit us best in the eyes of the committee? I don’t think any combination gets us in the tournament, but which gets us the closest?

[quote="GoSpikes, post:3, topic:1988"]I just looked up "must win" in the dictionary and it is defined as Penn State at Northwestern.[/quote]

Makes me wonder… let’s say we can only win 2 of the next 3. Which 2 would benefit us best in the eyes of the committee? I don’t think any combination gets us in the tournament, but which gets us the closest?

Win over Ohio State and win over Minnesota. Give us our signature win plus a road victory over a quality opponent.

That’s the conclusion I’ve come to with a few minutes to think about it.

Maybe the tougher question is (let’s say we win tonight)…if we could only beat OSU or Minnesota, which would be better? We need a road win, but beating OSU at home might be worth more than a roadie vs Minny.

Would Minnesota still be a quality win on the road? Sure, their overall ranking isn’t bad, but I wonder if the selection committee sees that you played them during their tailspin, and kind of discounts the win.