PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Penn State-Maryland

[quote="kidcoyote, post:12, topic:1562"]Don't want to be too profound, but Maryland averages over 80ppg. This will be some test. IMO, a win goes a long way toward making the tourney. Points in the paint and rebounding will decide this one. This kind of matchup is exactly the kind of win the tourney committee looks at.[/quote]

true but i think their ppg average is slightly inflated due to their 1st game of the season against Seattle where they scored 105. Seattle is almost as fast paced as the game we had a few years ago against VMI when we scored 136. Seattle scored 121 in their exhibition.

maryland looks to push the ball and get easy buckets. i know ive said it a lot, but i hope kirkpatrick fouls out of this game.
2010-11 - 28-50 (56%)
2009-10 - 64-121 (53%)
thats jordan williams ft shooting btw

That’s great but it isn’t like we have a lot of fouls to give. We can’t have Andrew, Jeff and Billy play Hack A Shaq.

Agreed. Not sure how their guards would handle pressure. That might be a soft spot. I know Taran was kind of their top guard recruit. LP says they push the ball and get easy buckets. Hmm… I’ve always believed you go at stars, at least the big men, in an effort to get them into foul trouble. As AJ doesn’t post up, don’t see that happening with him. Could Brooks, DJ and others drive to accomplish this, or maybe have Brooks post up? I hope so. Jeff has such good ups and is so long, he just might be able to be quicker than Williams, who’s 6’10", 260. Hopefully the bad rebounding vs. Ole Miss was an aberration.

This is an odd thought. But maybe a 3G offense will be too quick for them? Sort of grasping at straws, as concerned about points in the paint being lopsided.

I think the way you have to go at them would be to have the guards drive. Talor isn’t afraid to go to the hole and either is Taran or Tim. Maybe put Jermaine in and let him give it a go. Got to chop down that tree in the middle.

Penn State Men’s Basketball: Next Game Primer with Coach Preston - Maryland

umterps.com: Terps Travel to Penn State

Terps Game Notes

Ken Pomeroy has us down as winning this game. How could I possibly disagree with him? PSU wins in a back-and-forth game 66-61

I think this could be one of those games that comes down to who is shooting better that night. Of course “shooting better” is a generic term for the cumulative effect of things like rebounding, defense, ball movement, etc that effect being able to take more high percentage shots, but PSU just needs to hit their shots and this game is very winnable.

I did this interview earlier today. He actually gave some good insight to beating Maryland

http://victorybellrings.com/2010/11/30/blogger-interrogation-testudo-times-on-maryland-rivals-and-taran-buie/

[quote=“NGameday, post:27, topic:1562”]I did this interview earlier today. He actually gave some good insight to beating Maryland

http://victorybellrings.com/2010/11/30/blogger-interrogation-testudo-times-on-maryland-rivals-and-taran-buie/[/quote]
Nice interview, would like to read more of these.

Early line has Penn State as a 1 point underdog tomorrow night.

Honestly, I feel like this game is sort of a deja vu from the last time we hosted the B10/ACC challenge.

I remember in 2007 the issues we were having getting people to come to games…it was a constant source of frustration both for those involved on the student side and those who were on the AD side as well. Frankly, it was eerily reminiscent of where we are right now. Fans were disillusioned with ED, we were coming off of a year where we lost 12 straight B10 games, apathy had crept into the fan ranks after a VERY disappointing year coming off of an NIT berth, and we were hosting the B10/ACC challenge at home. The question came up…what can we do to get everyone behind this team? My answer then was the same as it is now:

“At some point the guys have to start winning big games”

This is one of those times. The program needs this win, ED needs this win, and I think our guys (Battle, Frazier, Brooks, Jackson, Jones) need this win for themselves. We have to take one of these big games at home to get some excitement back into the program. We really haven’t had a big upset win at home since we took the Injuns in early 2009. That’s a long freaking time.

I’m of the firm belief that this game is VITAL to this season and this program. Win it, and we could surprise some people. Win it, and you have the student interest immediately back into the program. Win it, and we’re all of a sudden a credible team in this conference. Lose it? More of the same. We’re expected to lose…same old Nittany Lions. In the grand scheme of things, this is the biggest non-con game we have hosted at home in probably 10-15 years. This game, this year specifically.

I’m not sure about anyone else, but I feel that I can’t stress how important this game could be to our season and to our program. At least from a fan interest and relevancy point of view. We’ve had very little positive in our program since the NIT victory. Penn State basketball needs a big win to kick start the turn around.

Being that this is a home game will really help us. Sounds like it could almost be a toss up with who wins. I’m hoping that we win and I’ll be watching.

Any word if ticket sales picked up this week?

I’ve heard it’s really, really bad on the alumni front. Like appallingly bad…only lower sidelines are sold out bad. Student sales are going well, it’s gonna be up to them if we’re gonna sell out the lower bowl.

^More reason why this game is so important.

[quote="vslice02, post:32, topic:1562"]Any word if ticket sales picked up this week?[/quote]

I’ve heard it’s really, really bad on the alumni front. Like appallingly bad…only lower sidelines are sold out bad. Student sales are going well, it’s gonna be up to them if we’re gonna sell out the lower bowl.

Not sure why you call it the “alumni” sale? It’s the general public sale and has nothing to do with whether you went to school here or not.

[quote="vslice02, post:32, topic:1562"]Any word if ticket sales picked up this week?[/quote]

Not sure why you call it the “alumni” sale? It’s the general public sale and has nothing to do with whether you went to school here or not.

Fair enough. General public sale is appallingly bad so far.

As long as we win 1 of the games against MD or Va Tech then I think this season could have the potential to be special. I don’t necessarily think it HAS to be this game that we win. Frankly if we were only to win 1 of them I would rather see us win against a ranked Va Tech team on the road even though it would be awfully difficult to do and winning a big game at home can instill more excitement into the fan base. But if we lose both I don’t see how you can have faith in this team getting to the tournament. I still feel good about a PSU win tomorrow.

I think from a fan awareness and support perspective…it has to be this one. We need something to be excited about, and we’ve been starved of solid home wins since 2008-2009.

Good idea. They may be young, and losing Vasquez pretty big loss.

[quote=“BleedPSU, post:30, topic:1562”]Honestly, I feel like this game is sort of a de ja vu from the last time we hosted the B10/ACC challenge.

I remember in 2007 the issues we were having getting people to come to games…it was a constant source of frustration both for those involved on the student side and those who were on the AD side as well. Frankly, it was eerily reminiscent of where we are right now. Fans were disillusioned with ED, we were coming off of a year where we lost 12 straight B10 games, apathy had crept into the fan ranks after a VERY disappointing year coming off of an NIT berth, and we were hosting the B10/ACC challenge at home. The question came up…what can we do to get everyone behind this team? My answer then was the same as it is now:

This is one of those times. The program needs this win, ED needs this win, and I think our guys (Battle, Frazier, Brooks, Jackson, Jones) need this win for themselves. We have to take one of these big games at home to get some excitement back into the program. We really haven’t had a big upset win at home since we took the Injuns in early 2009. That’s a long freaking time.

I’m of the firm belief that this game is VITAL to this season and this program. Win it, and we could surprise some people. Win it, and you have the student interest immediately back into the program. Win it, and we’re all of a sudden a credible team in this conference. Lose it? More of the same. We’re expected to lose…same old Nittany Lions. In the grand scheme of things, this is the biggest non-con game we have hosted at home in probably 10-15 years. This game, this year specifically.

I’m not sure about anyone else, but I feel that I can’t stress how important this game could be to our season and to our program. At least from a fan interest and relevancy point of view. We’ve had very little positive in our program since the NIT victory. The program needs a big win to kick start the turn around. [/quote]

Agree entirely. A win here, and maybe VTech, and the tourney would be looking good. 1-1 may be okay, but if we lose this, why would we beat VTech?

[quote="jjepsu92, post:22, topic:1562"]I think the way you have to go at them would be to have the guards drive. Talor isn't afraid to go to the hole and either is Taran or Tim. Maybe put Jermaine in and let him give it a go. Got to chop down that tree in the middle.[/quote]

Good idea. They may be young, and losing Vasquez pretty big loss.

[quote=“BleedPSU, post:30, topic:1562”]Honestly, I feel like this game is sort of a de ja vu from the last time we hosted the B10/ACC challenge.

I’m not sure about anyone else, but I feel that I can’t stress how important this game could be to our season and to our program. At least from a fan interest and relevancy point of view. We’ve had very little positive in our program since the NIT victory. The program needs a big win to kick start the turn around.[/quote]

Agree entirely. A win here, and maybe VTech, and the tourney would be looking good. 1-1 may be okay, but if we lose this, why would we beat VTech?

That would depend on how/why we lost.

And ticket sales are around 6,000+ sold. I’d expect a good student showing though.

Scouting Report (they could really use an audio guy to provide some assistance on these things - a couple of directional mikes would do wonders - it was so annoying I had to quit listening).

Penn State Men’s Basketball: Next Game Primer with Coach Preston - Maryland