PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Penn State hopes to get Brooks back within week

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/basketball/ncaa/wires/02/07/2060.ap.bkc.penn.st.brooks.0164/

Looks like its going to come down to the wire for his availability against Michigan State. The Nits need him, the game is pretty much a battle for a potential 6th bid from the Big Ten, as well as seeding for the BTT (5th/6th seeds).

If he doesn’t play this game, I’d say the season’s over unless they win the BTT, or at least 2 games. Based on what 90% of doctors do, my guess is that he’s on ibuprofen or tylenol. Doesn’t work. It’s not just strength. Injuries are inflammations, which of course make you weaker. Like a pitcher’s shoulder after a long outing. Here’s what the Mayo Clinic said about glucosamine sulfate.

According to the Mayo Clinic, glucosamine is a natural compound found in the cells of healthy cartilage. The body produces glucosamine—an amino sugar—and distributes it to cartilage and other connective tissue. Glucosamine sulfate is simply a form of glucosamine. The Arthritis and Glucosamine Information Center says it is the form of glucosamine most widely tested and may be more effective, as it is a carrier molecule for glucosamine. Companies that manufacture glucosamine commercially generally derive the substance from shellfish.
Benefits
Glucosamine supplements, particularly those made of glucosamine sulfate, are used to treat osteoarthritis and joint pain. According to the Mayo Clinic, glucosamine sulfate treatment is beneficial for those struggling with mild to moderate knee osteoarthritis. The Mayo Clinic also says that the supplement helps provide relief for osteoarthritis and joint pain throughout the body due to its anti-inflammatory effect. The Arthritis and Glucosamine Information Center says that for long-term use, glucosamine treatments have fewer side effects than common non-steroid, anti-inflammatory drugs, such as ibuprofen or aspirin.

I’m not a doctor, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn hotel last night. :wink: I have been to them for hip/back problems. Advil and such are what they all prescribe. They gave me nabumetone, which I don’t take. The quickest way to reduce inflammation is to give this a shot. 5 grams before bedtime will do the trick. If all he’s taken is advil type stuff, time for a new doctor with an open mind. There’s tons of evidence on glucosamine benefits. Mayo Clinic evidence should suffice. There’s a 90-100% chance he’s on typical NSAID’s. Alonzo Mourning and Sean Elliott both had liver translplant’s in their 30’s due to ibuprofen use.

Okay, no more doctor from me. :wink: Jeff has to play.

Why are you posting about glucosamine for Jeff? Jeff’s damage is ligament and tendon related. Not cartilage. I would hope that they’ve given him more than over the counter NSAIDs. Perhaps a cortisone shot.

Agreed. Probably a combo of prescription NSAIDs and a shot.

LMAO.

Some of kid’s anecdotal high school hoops stories get me smiling, but his new glucosamine campaign has me rolling on the floor. He’s tried to connect some pretty far fetched dots in the past but trying to stretch Jeff’s shoulder dislocation treatment into a possible need for a future liver transplant takes the cake. ::slight_smile:

Please don’t take my response to Kid as a knock on Glucosamine. I took it for over 5 years and while I can’t say that it helped me grow any new cartilage I can say that as an anti-inflammatory it worked very well for my osteoarthritis. I had knee replacement in November 2009 and haven’t taken it since. I will probably begin taking it again soon for my other knee tho. Golf season is right around the corner. :slight_smile:

[quote="noobd, post:2, topic:1910"]Looks like its going to come down to the wire for his availability against Michigan State. The Nits need him, the game is pretty much a battle for a potential 6th bid from the Big Ten, as well as seeding for the BTT (5th/6th seeds).[/quote]

If he doesn’t play this game, I’d say the season’s over unless they win the BTT, or at least 2 games.

Assuming Brooks not playing = a loss, then yes, I agree that that outcome is very likely.

Whether Brooks plays or not I think we win. Michigan State has completely fallen apart and don’t seem to have any chemistry. I get the fact that they are home means they will be favored, but I don’t see anything to be worried about.

Yup, we are just going to waltz into the Breslin Center and beat them by 20. No worries, because we are so great on the road in the Big Ten.

Yes but you thought we’d be Michigan too. And Ohio State. And Purdue. And every other team we have faced in the last 2 months. That’s all you think really, and while I appreciate the optimism I think you tend to undersell just how difficult getting any of these wins actually is.

All the bubble worries from people never made much sense to me because I knew that if we got to 10 wins, we would have earned it. There is nothing easy about 10 wins in this league, ever. And just a few bad plays can be the difference between a 10 win season and a 6 win season. The difference between dancing and not even playing in the NIT.

I haven’t given up on this team yet, but they have one hell of a mountain to climb now and I think you’ve been completely unrealistic about this team for awhile now - in the complete opposite direction that most of the negative people were/are all year. (This leads me to believe you’re either trolling all of us, or you’e really lacking some perspective about the difficultly involved here). It’s beginning to get a little comical, and not in a good way.

[/quote]

All the bubble worries from people never made much sense to me because I knew that if we got to 10 wins, we would have earned it. There is nothing easy about 10 wins in this league, ever. And just a few bad plays can be the difference between a 10 win season and a 6 win season. The difference between dancing and not even playing in the NIT.

[/quote]

Well said. Yesterday’s loss is certainly crippling, but it doesn’t yet end the season or even the at-large hopes. The goal is still 11 total B10 wins, from the season or from a combination of the season and the conference tourney. 10 might even do it, who knows. I’m much less optimistic now, but the chance is still there. If the Nits find 6 more wins, they will have a earned a spot and proved themselves worthy to be in the big tourney.

Got my fingers crossed all this week, I’d do anything to have Jeff back for thursday night. I know MSU may be struggling but its still Tom Izzo and its still us on the road, so we need Jeff’s abilities badly. In my mind, Jeff plays, this is a must win to get us back to .500 and set up big back to back home games.

When I look at Michigan State I see 2 players that can beat us-Lucas and Green. For some reason I don’t think of Summers as a player that would step up in a game like this. I would think we’d have confidence knowing that we have beaten them at their place before and once already this season. I was impressed with Woodyard’s play. If Woodyard gave us that kind of performance again that would be huge if Brooks doesn’t go. Our team still shows a lot of fight while Michigan State looks as if they don’t really care.

[quote="bballguy, post:9, topic:1910"]Whether Brooks plays or not I think we win. Michigan State has completely fallen apart and don't seem to have any chemistry. I get the fact that they are home means they will be favored, but I don't see anything to be worried about.[/quote]

Yes but you thought we’d be Michigan too. And Ohio State. And Purdue. And every other team we have faced in the last 2 months. That’s all you think really, and while I appreciate the optimism I think you tend to undersell just how difficult getting any of these wins actually is.

I understand where you are coming from. Lots of people thought we were going to beat Michigan and we should have. I saw great opportunities to win at Ohio State and Purdue and we almost beat them. I also did say we’d beat Wisconsin and we did. Now I think we can beat Michigan State. But you know what I think our regular season record will be? 16-13. So, no I do not underestimate how difficult it is to win in the Big ten. Before the season started I said I thought we would win 7 games. I adjusted my expectations as did others during the conference stretch as we started to win games that I didn’t think we’d win (home v Michigan state and Illinois). In my initial prediction of 7 wins I actually had the away Michigan State game as a win and the home game as a loss (gotta be bold). I definitely understand how tough it is to win, but when you see a team beat 3 ranked teams it’s tough not to get excited and think you can beat anybody.

Whether Brooks plays or not I think we win. Michigan State has completely fallen apart and don't seem to have any chemistry. I get the fact that they are home means they will be favored, but I don't see anything to be worried about.

Yup, we are just going to waltz into the Breslin Center and beat them by 20. No worries, because we are so great on the road in the Big Ten.

1-4 on the road (win against Indiana) against the B10 this season, 1-6 overall on the road. Piece of cake. :wink:

[quote="bballguy, post:9, topic:1910"]Whether Brooks plays or not I think we win. Michigan State has completely fallen apart and don't seem to have any chemistry. I get the fact that they are home means they will be favored, but I don't see anything to be worried about.[/quote]

1-4 on the road (win against Indiana) against the B10 this season, 1-6 overall on the road. Piece of cake. :wink:

No shot sans Brooks.

I hope Brooks is ready to go on Thursday

Randomly ran across this today:

Joint Pain Supplements, Glucosamine And Chondroitin, Do Not Help Symptoms

[quote=“Tom, post:19, topic:1910”]Randomly ran across this today:

Joint Pain Supplements, Glucosamine And Chondroitin, Do Not Help Symptoms[/quote]
As someone who blew out the right knee (ACL and MCL along with cartiledge) and the left knee (ACL), I notice a significant improvement with reduced pain and mobility when I take glucosamine and chondrotin. Right now I am taking an over the counter with MSM included. Two horse tablets daily seems to be helping me a lot.