PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Penn State baseball

Yikes, what a way to start the season!

http://www.gopsusports.com/blog/2017/02/baseball-spring-sports-media-day-five-things-to-know.html

PSU loses a weird game to #1 TCU last night. PSU actually held
TCU to 3 hits but they lost 6-3.

People come on here and complain about the PSU hoops being not revelant. The same can be said for the PSU baseball program. They moved into a beautiful brand new stadium several years ago. Yet, this season they are currently 11-20 and they have lost at home to Columbia (twice) and Binghamton, and they lost three straight games at Delaware. Any thoughts of why PSU can seem to succeed at being very competitive baseball team?

I covered Penn State baseball one spring for the Collegian and quit after a couple of freeze-my-butt-off games in the old windswept field. I have a theory.

Michigan is currently 25-7 and St. John’s is currently 22-5 and they are both ranked in the top 25 so it appears that northern teams can compete in NCAA baseball.

I don’t expect PSU to be a top 25 program. But Minnesota is currently 19-8 and 6-0 in the BT and MSU is currently 18-10 and 3-3 in the BT. PSU’s baseball program should be able to compete with other BT teams at the very least.

2 Likes

Yes, with our facility and location, we should be able to compete for a B1G championship in baseball. Cooper inherited a weak roster, but it’s a bit of a surprise to me that they’re struggling so much in Cooper’s fourth year (lineup is mostly frosh and sophs) given Cooper’s good reputation in the college baseball coaching ranks.

COLLEGE BASEBALL AT PNC PARK

The Pirates will open the gates of PNC Park for the Penn State Nittany Lions to host the West Virginia Mountaineers Wednesday, May 10 at 7 p.m.

http://view.ed4.net/v/I5TWL3/YOJHNU/QCHRHYJ/PTUGG/MAILACTION=1&FORMAT=H?partnerId=ed-11339817-982588103

Anyone able to comment on what the major issue issues are behind the season the baseball team is having? In 16 Big Ten games hey are 2-14 (last place) and in those 16 games they have been outscored by 114 runs or more than 7 runs a game. Got beat today 17-1 at home against MN.
Have not been close to being competitive.

PSU did win 28 games last season. This is just Coopers 4th year as head coach so I guess we need to give him some more time to hopefully turn the program around.

Really a disappointing season. The worst fielding team in the B1G. The team had a lot of injury problems, but too many sophomores and juniors did not improve. Perhaps a year of experience will help turn things around next season, and there is a decent recruiting class coming in, but this season’s performance produces a lot of questions.

Cooper has a very good reputation in the college baseball coaching fraternity, so these continuing struggles are a bit of a surprise. I’m sure Cooper will get a fifth year, but if next season is a repeat of this one, he likely won’t get a sixth.

1 Like

Final game of the season ends with a 21-3 thrashing by Nebraska. The game concluded Penn State’s (18-37, 4-20 Big Ten) 2017 season. Ouch!

1 Like

Baseball season is back and PSU swept 3 games from Elon in NC this weekend. Here’s hoping that weekend sweep is a good sign for a better baseball season this year for PSU.

2 Likes

First 3-0 start since…1980!

2 Likes

So much for the three game winning streak to open the season. PSU lost three games this long weekend to UMBC, Monmouth, and St. John’s in NC?

Same old same old? :thinking:

Apparently they led winless Monmouth 8-4, needing only 3 9th inning outs to get the win. Monmouth scored 5 runs in the ninth as PSU snatched defeat from the hands of victory.

Yep, I was following the game on gametracker and saw that. Lousy way to lose!

Just noticed that the hardballers got swept this weekend against Grand Canyon. That’s 8 lossess in last 9 games.

And the softball team is 1-17. I feel for those kids.

If BSB can get the pitching settled down, I think we’re looking at a .500 season, which would not be what we want, but would be a big improvement over last season. Young team with freshmen and sophomores getting lots of playing time. There’s some talent there.

Strange but true…

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/040418aab.html