Penn State 87 Sacred Heart 75

DJ obviously played his best game and hopefully his confidence will benefit. First time I have seen him play in a game that he was noticably quicker than his opponent(s) and physically able to dominate against tonights competition. Great game, but he won’t have that advantage in the conference games.

Bill Edwards is a Big Ten type player, as I mentioned from seeing him in Charleston, very poised and comfortable penetrating and taking the ball to the basket.

Honestly, that defensive effort will get us buried against all but a couple of teams left on our schedule. Andrew is just not moving his feet and instead of contesting a shot by a guy he has a 6" height advantage on he plants his feet raises his arms and hopes for a charge. He has way too much a physical advantage to not be challenging the smaller guy as oppossed to hoping to get the call.

Tonight was the first time I saw Edwards. Wow.

Yeah, my first time seeing Dolla Bill as well. He was definitely impressive - smooth, good moves, nice stroke, and not lacking in confidence. I’m thinking he’ll get a little quicker as he knee heals and he gets more comfortable on defense. I definitely see his minutes continuing to rise.

The box score says that the score was 87-75 not 87-65.

Fixed it. I knew it was 12 points. I prefer to claim typo over ignorance.übersetzungsbüro Portugiesisch
hair loss cure

I was travelling and saw the game in a bar, and interestingly, later on my trip on the CT turnpike, I passed an exit marked, “Sacred Heart University”. If it was an away game, I would’ve attended. Anyway…

Duff, gotta disagree with you a bit.

DJ, you’ re right, but I’d go further, much further. That’s a better game than I remember Cornley playing. I mean, I know it’s not vs. MSU, but when did Cornley score 26, shoot 8-10 and 9-11 from the line, even in OOC? I’ve been complaining about no posting up, and voila, DJ, the last front line player I expected to do so, posts up. Hopefully, going forward nobody will ever describe him as a wing. A wing is a forward who can’t score inside. Being called a wing is an insult. Not sure if DJ can reproduce his inside play, but he was beyond good, and the whole team benefited by getting better looks outside, shooting 6-13 from 3. My apologies for writing DJ off as possible inside player. I was blown away. Now if he can keep it up…Had to be Ed asking him to do it. I don’t remember him ever playing with his back to the basket…ever.

Defense - think you’re too hard here Duff. That team could shoot. Hasan looked like Pistol Pete. The guard could shoot, those guys being 5-10 and 4-6. They were very good shooters. Some of those were bombs. Better shooters than ours. Give credit where credit is due. Their inside guys were kind of weak, and we’ll be tested there harder vs. almost any team. Their big guy looked like Dolph Lundgren in the Rocky movies. He wasn’t very good though.

Edwards- wow. 1st time I saw him. Unique game. I can’t think of another 6’6" lefty who likes to penetrate with a crossover dribble like that. And he’s not really driving. He sorta takes his time penetrating then makes up his mind what he’s going to do. Very good. How can he not eventually start? Amazing.

Battle - continues to amaze. He quietly amassed 10 pts, shot great at the FT line, led in rb’s with 8. A little sloppy with the ball, but knows when to slow the team down.

Cam - looked really, really smooth to me. I thought he looked excellent.

Sasa- might be too much too early. Looked overmatched.

I thought it was a great win in that they didn’t get into a trey shooting match, they scored inside, they played patiently.

One issue: with DJ playing low post, what is Andrew’s offensive role going to be? Early in the game, he and DJ were double posting, and when DJ got the ball, he worked it inside. When Andrew got it, he stepped away and took 10 footer and missed. That’s the difference. Looks like DJ’s more comfortable doing it.

IMO, this team’s better than last year’s. Way more depth. Playing time will be very, very competitive.

Like everyone else, I was very impressed with Edwards. It looks like we stole another great one from Ohio.

We suspected DJ had a complete game and last night he showed it - post moves, dribble penetration, mid-range and outside shooting, and pretty good defense.

Battle’s rebounding never ceases to amaze me, and now he looks like Joe Crispin from the line!

Cam Woodyard - solid; good future.

SHU has some ballers; fun team to watch. I wouldn’t want to play 3-on-3 against Hassan, Hardy, and Litke (or was that Maravich? ;))

Good game. Edwards is the real deal!
Three rushed 3 pt shots in the 1st half (all off the dribble) but that was all. Over all; good shot selection. DJ had a career scoring game but he had a very good match-up.
I, also, would not be that hard on the defense. SH’s funky offense is had to defend when the 3s are falling.

No letting up, Lions need hot shooting to hold off Pioneers by
Nate Bauer For the CDT

Lions happy to return to BJC
By Mark Brennan,sports@altoonamirror.com

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:6, topic:356”]I was travelling and saw the game in a bar, and interestingly, later on my trip on the CT turnpike, I passed an exit marked, “Sacred Heart University”. If it was an away game, I would’ve attended. Anyway…

Duff, gotta disagree with you a bit.

DJ, you’ re right, but I’d go further, much further. That’s a better game than I remember Cornley playing. I mean, I know it’s not vs. MSU, but when did Cornley score 26, shoot 8-10 and 9-11 from the line, even in OOC? I’ve been complaining about no posting up, and voila, DJ, the last front line player I expected to do so, posts up. Hopefully, going forward nobody will ever describe him as a wing. A wing is a forward who can’t score inside. Being called a wing is an insult. Not sure if DJ can reproduce his inside play, but he was beyond good, and the whole team benefited by getting better looks outside, shooting 6-13 from 3. My apologies for writing DJ off as possible inside player. I was blown away. Now if he can keep it up…Had to be Ed asking him to do it. I don’t remember him ever playing with his back to the basket…ever.

Defense - think you’re too hard here Duff. That team could shoot. Hasan looked like Pistol Pete. The guard could shoot, those guys being 5-10 and 4-6. They were very good shooters. Some of those were bombs. Better shooters than ours. Give credit where credit is due. Their inside guys were kind of weak, and we’ll be tested there harder vs. almost any team. Their big guy looked like Dolph Lundgren in the Rocky movies. He wasn’t very good though.

Edwards- wow. 1st time I saw him. Unique game. I can’t think of another 6’6" lefty who likes to penetrate with a crossover dribble like that. And he’s not really driving. He sorta takes his time penetrating then makes up his mind what he’s going to do. Very good. How can he not eventually start? Amazing.

Battle - continues to amaze. He quietly amassed 10 pts, shot great at the FT line, led in rb’s with 8. A little sloppy with the ball, but knows when to slow the team down.

Cam - looked really, really smooth to me. I thought he looked excellent.

Sasa- might be too much too early. Looked overmatched.

I thought it was a great win in that they didn’t get into a trey shooting match, they scored inside, they played patiently.

One issue: with DJ playing low post, what is Andrew’s offensive role going to be? Early in the game, he and DJ were double posting, and when DJ got the ball, he worked it inside. When Andrew got it, he stepped away and took 10 footer and missed. That’s the difference. Looks like DJ’s more comfortable doing it.

IMO, this team’s better than last year’s. Way more depth. Playing time will be very, very competitive.[/quote]

DJ played at a level and ability above what I had seen in 2+ years. Seeing him dominate like that leaves me feeling that a contributing factor was the opponent. You did note their inside guys were kinda weak. Love to see more of it to show he can do it against others.
Those two guards could shoot and several of those shots were made with us having someone right on them. Should have given some props to competition here, and they moved the ball well and took the extra pass to get open. Still, while I thought our perimeter defense was spotty, it was the defense, against a Sacred Heart team, that gave up 9 offensive rebounds and 11 layups that had me saying it will get us buried against the likes of the Big Ten.
Agree with the more depth and competition for playing time. I respect your BB knowldge and like your optimism and would it would love to see it so, but really, better than last year?best essiac tea
chiropractor Madison Al

As everyone has commented, Edwards looked fantastic. Last night was my first chance to see him. Is anyone else reminded of Travis Parker? I know their games are very different, but the way he moved around and shot the ball seemed to remind me of Travis. Both high basketball IQs, neither the greatest athlete, but both move very well. Maybe it’s just me, but that’s what I was thinking as I watched him.

I thought on offense Edwards played well, it’s nice to have another palyer who can shoot but also take it too the hole. I really hope he can improve his speed in the wake of his knee injury by the Big Ten season, though. The dribbling on his fast break was almost in slow motion, but we did get the score. I also think he needs to gain some speed back for defense. When the SHU guards would run around, they could get away from him and score. I think the lack of comfort and foot speed also contributed to his defensive fouls. If he can get faster, look out.

DJ was great last night. Their defenders (especially #15) had something to do with that, but DJ showed off nice moves and nice touch inside. It will be tougher against Big Ten power forwards, but if he can get to double digits more often than not it would be fantastic.

Once Frazier is more comfortable with what to do in the lane (instead of just getting in the paint and stopping) he will create lots of opportunities for everyone else.

This is the first game I was able to watch on a large, flatscreen TV in HD. No more stream or small college TV.

First of all, it IS Sacred Heart, but that team could really shoot. But they did lose to Xavier by 40 the game before… Gotta play a little better defense. The Hassan kid (?) had a really quick, awkward release. His shots looked like they had no chance of going in, yet they always sank.

I’m not going to beat a dead horse on some of the players already discussed, but I really liked the balanced attack. PSU didn’t technically rely on 1 player even though DJ had the most points. There was really great ball movement and passing at times. PSU didn’t just chuck up 3’s for the hell of it besides a few early 3’s by Battle.

Frazier and Battle really drove and dished well last night, gotta love that.

It was the first time I saw Edwards, and on the offensive end he is pretty talented. However, on the defensive hes a little limited and slow with that knee - but that is expected.

One other thing that I noticed was that there was a pleasant lack of out of control drives into the paint followed by wild shots by Battle and Frazier. It certainly helped that everyone was knocking down their shots, so they didn’t need to resort to those desperation shots.

The guards played under control all night, especially Talor. You hear the expression “he let the game come to him” - I think that was very applicable for Talor last night.

[quote=“Duff, post:10, topic:356”]DJ played at a level and ability above what I had seen in 2+ years. Seeing him dominate like that leaves me feeling that a contributing factor was the opponent. You did note their inside guys were kinda weak. Love to see more of it to show he can do it against others.
Those two guards could shoot and several of those shots were made with us having someone right on them. Should have given some props to competition here, and they moved the ball well and took the extra pass to get open. Still, while I thought our perimeter defense was spotty, it was the defense, against a Sacred Heart team, that gave up 9 offensive rebounds and 11 layups that had me saying it will get us buried against the likes of the Big Ten.
Agree with the more depth and competition for playing time. I respect your BB knowldge and like your optimism and would it would love to see it so, but really, better than last year?[/quote]

No argument on the opponent’s skill level, but the center, Potter is 7’0" tall, and the guy who fouled out, Sahan, is 6’9", so they at least had size. Also, DJ was blocked(and fouled) by Potter once, yet continued to go inside. If he’s willing to take it into the paint vs. team with 7’0" center, what will stop him vs. other teams? IMO, Cornley would reduce his inside play vs. teams with tall centers, like when Mullens came in for OSU. DJ’s good footwork and extra height might make that less necessary.

Yes, the team’s better than last year. Why? Babb and Cam have matured to the point where they can contribute, and Edwards and Frazier are great. Sasa, not sure. I’m not as convinced on Brooks as some. I’d just like him to do the hard stuff, defense, rebounding, playing tough inside. But now DJ? A game I thought I’d never, ever see. He doesn’t jump that well, but he took it to the hole repeatedly last night, so while I wouldn’t expect that performance every time, if he continues to take it inside, it will make it better for everybody else, i.e., less crowded at the arc. Sorta like football. If you establish the run, passing is easier. If you establish inside play, you get better arc looks. I think the question to think about is what to do with Jones on offense. Those 10’ jumpers aren’t going to cut it.

I thought Nate Bauer’s article kind of missed the point. It wasn’t about shooting that won the game. It was the structure of the attack that got the good shots. PSU did not get into a trey contest and win that way.

I prefer to think of you as part of the very large and overzealous pro-PSU contingent that exists on this board. ;D

I am off today, so catching up a bit. My 2 cents:

Someone commented that even though DJ had the most points, we still seemed to have a balanced attack and not rely too much on one guy. True. DJ only took 10 shots (plus the shots where he was fouled) from the floor to reach that career high. Without looking, I’d be at least two others had more shot attempts.

Free throw shooting has been a lot better this year. Not sure what changed. Battle looks better (and wasn’t he awful in the World Games?) and DJ is still shooting them well. Jones doesn’t have the attempts yet to know if he is better. Frazier seems almost automatic – he might have the ball a lot at the end of close games.

I think one thing to realize when discussing defense is that with the number of players getting on the floor and the number of them that are new, it will take time. One thing I’ve like about this year so far is that it seems as though ED is going deep on his bench even in tight games where we might benefit from leaving out the same five. I think in the long run we will be better off doing this.

[quote=“mjg, post:17, topic:356”]I am off today, so catching up a bit. My 2 cents:

Someone commented that even though DJ had the most points, we still seemed to have a balanced attack and not rely too much on one guy. True. DJ only took 10 shots (plus the shots where he was fouled) from the floor to reach that career high. Without looking, I’d be at least two others had more shot attempts.[/quote]

DJ actually did lead the team in shots, but he had the hot hand, so why not feed him? Talor was 6-8 and Frazier was 3-7. We did have 7 different guys with at least 4 shots though, so the ball was getting spread around. To me the best thing about this year is that it looks like we’re definitely going to be running 10 deep. Right now, 11 guys have averaged over 7.5 mpg in the games they’ve seen action. Talor is also the only guy averaging over 30mpg. I know a lot of it is because we’re trying to figure out the right mix, and it’s likely ED will find his 5 or 6 who will get the majority of the action because that’s been his MO, but to me it’s a good sign.

[quote="mjg, post:17, topic:356"]I am off today, so catching up a bit. My 2 cents:

Someone commented that even though DJ had the most points, we still seemed to have a balanced attack and not rely too much on one guy. True. DJ only took 10 shots (plus the shots where he was fouled) from the floor to reach that career high. Without looking, I’d be at least two others had more shot attempts.[/quote]

DJ actually did lead the team in shots, but he had the hot hand, so why not feed him? Talor was 6-8 and Frazier was 3-7. We did have 7 different guys with at least 4 shots though, so the ball was getting spread around. To me the best thing about this year is that it looks like we’re definitely going to be running 10 deep. Right now, 11 guys have averaged over 7.5 mpg in the games they’ve seen action. Talor is also the only guy averaging over 30mpg. I know a lot of it is because we’re trying to figure out the right mix, and it’s likely ED will find his 5 or 6 who will get the majority of the action because that’s been his MO, but to me it’s a good sign.

Wow, 10 FG attempts led the team that scored 87 points? I’m stunned. I remember Talor taking some shots and thought maybe Edwards got to 10 (I remember him taking several in the first half and seemed like there were 3-4 possessions in a row in the 2nd half where he shot the ball). To me this is a great sign on offense. The other team will have to play us honest and not cheat on Talor to stop him.

We only took 47 shots as a team.