Penn State 82, Slippery Rock 51

Virtually everyone played.

Returners look like they are picking up where they left off. Brooks looked calm and collected.

Frazier the real deal. Jets.

Sasa has good fundamentals, could help.

Might be a good year.

I was thinking eventually Sasa would be a good weapon on Off. but didn’t think he’d contribute much this year. I was concerned with his defense…anyone know how he looked on D? Thanks.

Also, did Oliver play?

Hopefully some of the recruits were impressed, too!

Big thing about Sasa, he’s comfortable running an offense. Something a lot of bigs aren’t coming out of high school.

Can’t wait to get Edwards back.

How was the crowd?

I thought most of them were day trippers?

[quote="BubblingLion, post:3, topic:199"]Hopefully some of the recruits were impressed, too![/quote]

I thought most of them were day trippers?

Not knowing who was there tonight, a large group was slated to go to the football game tomorrow.

As good as we had for just about any OOC game last year. Dwarfed W&M from last year.

[quote=“tjb, post:1, topic:199”]Virtually everyone played.

Returners look like they are picking up where they left off. Brooks looked calm and collected.

Frazier the real deal. Jets.

Sasa has good fundamentals, could help.

Might be a good year.[/quote]

I liked Sasa a lot, but Frazier played out of control, and was just going too fast. He needs to be able to slow it down, and when he was on the court with Battle at the same time, he was much more effective.

[quote=“PSUBaller, post:2, topic:199”]I was thinking eventually Sasa would be a good weapon on Off. but didn’t think he’d contribute much this year. I was concerned with his defense…anyone know how he looked on D? Thanks.

Also, did Oliver play?[/quote]

Yes, Oliver played 4 minutes and scored 3 points.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2009-2010/psusru1.html

[quote="PSUBaller, post:2, topic:199"]I was thinking eventually Sasa would be a good weapon on Off. but didn't think he'd contribute much this year. I was concerned with his defense.......anyone know how he looked on D? Thanks.

Although he only scored three points i think he played much better then that

[quote="PSUBaller, post:2, topic:199"]I was thinking eventually Sasa would be a good weapon on Off. but didn't think he'd contribute much this year. I was concerned with his defense.......anyone know how he looked on D? Thanks.

Although he only scored three points i think he played much better then that

Yeah, he looked like a very heady player, knew where to go, had a nose for being in the right place at the right time.

Sasa just needs to get used to college basketball, he will definitely played hard and mixed it up near the rim. He needs some more strength but he could get in to the steady rotation. Oliver looks like he just needs game minutes to get comfortable again but he is solid player. Frazier is playing like a freshmen but he has moments where you know he is going to special over his 4 years at PSU. Babb has made a big jump and is definitely looking like potential double dig it scorer every night. Marshall definitely needs the redshirt this year, he just not ready for the speed of the game after the year off. I was surprised by Highberger’s minutes, I think Ed might play him a little bit more then a usual walk-on would get.

Another note the new 3 walk ons did not dress tonight.

The crowd was really good. Jeff Brooks had a crazy dunk. All in all I saw what I wanted to see

Sounds good! I really can’t wait for the season.

Anyone get to see the Pep Rally? I heard it was giving people errors or something. Can’t wait for the football game tomorrow.

Two players i was really impressed with:

Babb… After last year, the part of Babb’s game i wanted him to improve the most was his ability to drive. It seems like he really worked on it, and it makes his game multi-dimensional.

Brooks… with Cornley injured in the NIT last year, Brooks seemed to find his place. Throughout last year, it seemed like he felt out of place. He played a 3, which he’s not built for. I think he can be very good this year as pf.

My take…
The 1st unit played very good half court (guard the 3 pt line) defense. SRU’s shot selection was “shameful” BUT the good defense helped. The first unit seems calm and relaxed. DJ/Andrew and Brooks played well. Brooks especially seemed more relaxed! Talor was Talor. Babb played well (good D) but took too many long shots for my taste. He had 2 “air balls” on open threes. You should go a season without 2 “airballs” on open threes. Frazier will help a lot. I am not sure any of the other new guys (except Edwards) will help much. Sasa has nice hands. But has NO lift. You must remember he was MUCH bigger than most SRU defenders. I think he will struggle against bigger and better defenders.
In summary…PSU is pretty “solid” and well coached (expect for the excess shots from Babb.) It is Talor’s team, which is good. The team’s solidness will keep it in most BigTen11 games. But it will struggle to score against many BigTen11’s defenses. I see a pretty tight rotation of Talor/Babb/Jones/DJ/Brooks/Frazier/Ott and some of Woodyard. Edwards may get Woodyard’s minutes if he can perform well enough.

[quote=“tundra, post:16, topic:199”]My take…
The 1st unit played very good half court (guard the 3 pt line) defense. SRU’s shot selection was “shameful” BUT the good defense helped. The first unit seems calm and relaxed. DJ/Andrew and Brooks played well. Brooks especially seemed more relaxed! Talor was Talor. Babb played well (good D) but took too many long shots for my taste. He had 2 “air balls” on open threes. You should go a season without 2 “airballs” on open threes. Frazier will help a lot. I am not sure any of the other new guys (except Edwards) will help much. Sasa has nice hands. But has NO lift. You must remember he was MUCH bigger than most SRU defenders. I think he will struggle against bigger and better defenders.
In summary…PSU is pretty “solid” and well coached (expect for the excess shots from Babb.) It is Talor’s team, which is good. The team’s solidness will keep it in most BigTen11 games. But it will struggle to score against many BigTen11’s defenses. I see a pretty tight rotation of Talor/Babb/Jones/DJ/Brooks/Frazier/Ott and some of Woodyard. Edwards may get Woodyard’s minutes if he can perform well enough. [/quote]

Have to disagree on Sasa. Yes, he has no lift, but scoring inside, while having lift is great, it’s not necessary(see Tyler Hansbrough). IMO, it’s more a determination, a desire, a willingness to get elbowed, pushed around, etc., that gets inside points. I didn’t like Frazier as much as I’d hoped. Very fast, decent at pg, but noticed a problem on his shot. In transition, when he takes his jumper, he doesn’t go straight up, but continues to float toward the basket. Not going to work, ever, doing floaters from 15’ feet. IMO, have to stop and pop on a dime, straight up. Don’t think he’s going to score much. Thought he was a lock to start with Battle. Now not so sure.

Re Sasa, I bet he’s in top 5 in scoring, maybe top 3, but I haven’t seen Edwards yet. I think Sasa gets minutes at the 4 and 5 due to scoring. He’s also a good FT shooter, and I expect he’ll be at the line a lot. I bet he’s in top 3 in FTA’s. Fighting for points inside is not something many guys want to do. It can be frustrating fighting for position and NOT getting the ball, so guys give up doing it, and wander away from the basket. Why get beaten up if you don’t get the ball? I think Battle understands this, and last year he always looked for Cornley establishing position. Very important for pg’s to do this, so big men continue to fight for position and get rewarded for doing so. IMO, this type of scoring will determine PSU’s success or lack of it. Gotta believe Sasa will be important part of the mix.

I didn’t see any of the game…when Talor and Tim played together, who was at the three? Babb, Woodyard, DJ?

Also, any chance Highberger sees minutes in real games. I wonder if he “benefits” from Edwards’ injury?

Just a note on the rotation.

Starting guards were Battle and Babb. Brooks started at small forward. Jackson and Jones in the frontcourt.

First guy off the bench was Woodyard, who came in at small forward with Brooks moving to the power forward spot and Jackson coming out.

First pure guard into the game was Frazier who replaced Babb but played strictly the point with Battle moving to shooting guard when Tim was in the game.

Ott spelled Jones at center.

We did occasionally play a three guard offense with Babb moving to small forward as Frazier and Battle took over backcourt duties.

Highberger played more and earlier than I expected. He played at the two and, despite being a walk-on, showed no hesitation in putting up a shot.

Borovnjak appears to be ahead of Oliver in the current rotation but that could easily be due to Oliver missing much practice time. He played mainly at power forward but also added some time at center.

You can really see how DeChellis likes to use guys at multiple positions.

Battle played both point and shooting guard.
Babb started at two guard but got occasional time at small forward.
Brooks spent almost equal time at both small and power forward.
Jackson is capable of playing both forward spots also but I didn’t notice him at small forward at all yesterday.
Ott and Jones were in the game together at one point but I’m not sure who was at which spot.
Borovnjak played both power forward and center (although to be honest, I’m not sure there’s much, if any, difference between the two in our offense).

Lots of depth and versatility on this team. ED just needs to find a way to take advantage of that.

I’d say the current depth chart looks like: Battle, Babb, Brooks, Jackson, Jones, Woodyard, Frazier, Ott, and Borovnjak. Marshall and Oliver look to be the odd guys out at the moment. Hard to say what happens when Edwards gets healthy. My guess would be that Woodyard’s minutes would be at risk but I don’t know if Edwards would be ready to replace Cammeron in the rotation. With so many guys capable of playing the three spot, my guess would be that either Woodyard or Edwards becomes the sixth man and the other joins Marshall and Oliver on the deep bench.

[quote=“Finding Forrester, post:18, topic:199”]I didn’t see any of the game…when Talor and Tim played together, who was at the three? Babb, Woodyard, DJ?

Also, any chance Highberger sees minutes in real games. I wonder if he “benefits” from Edwards’ injury?[/quote]

Usually Babb. I don’t think DJ played at the three at all last night.

Highberger looked capable of playing real minutes. He got into the game early (late in the first half) which might be partially due to Edward’s injury (also might be partially due to Battle’s stomach virus). My gut feel is that Edwards doesn’t play much at the two but rather competes with Woodyard for the first guy off the bench with his time coming mainly at small forward.