Penn State 69, UVA 66

Nice little win.

Big confidence builder. Wish we could hit more free throws down the stretch though.

Talor. Battle.

Talor with 32. Frazier 11. Brooks 8. Babb 6.

Not to go all Tom here, but that is less than optimal. :wink:

Brooks didn’t have a lot of points, but he impressed me tonight.

I’m just happy that we looked like a team that could play defense for a significant portion of that game.

A road win vs ACC not matter how tough it was, you take it happily. One bad loss negated, let’s get the second roadie Saturday. Not a dancin’ team…yet…but maybe after Saturday?

TB and an impressive defensive effort in the 2nd half won this game. Ten point win if UVa doesn’t go all “Talor Battle” on us from 3 ;D.

Love how everyone, including the subs, seems to be on the same page with this team.

First Big Ten team ever to win three straight ACC/Big Ten Challenge games. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yeah, really good team defense tonight. There were a few times their dribbler turned the corner and had nowhere to go because of good help.

Didn’t hurt that they just chucked the ball up in the lane four or five times in the second half.

Not even close but a good team none the less.

After their showing in Charleston, this is a huge huge huge improvement. Going into an ACC arena and winning (even if UVA isn’t an upper end school) is big. Even if UVA ends up like GT did last year, it will help this team gel. I think that win last year was a huge confidence builder, and this win was actually kinda similar.

Still a long way to go, but this gives some hope that there are good things to come for the season.

[quote=“tjb, post:4, topic:379”]Talor with 32. Frazier 11. Brooks 8. Babb 6.

Not to go all Tom here, but that is less than optimal. ;)[/quote]

:smiley: It was a funny game. Our D did step up. Inside on O, not as good as I’d hoped, but Jones, DJ, Brooks worked at it. UVA, primarily Scott, just stronger. I don’t think our FT shooting so bad at 17-25, though it’s tough when you miss them late. As tough as it was for PSU fans, think how UVA fans must feel. Looked like they had it early. Has to help the RPI, as UVA will have a decent season.

Frazier is a bit hot headed, and follows bad plays with more bad plays, but you gotta still love him. He is going to get some more technical fouls. Not much Edwards tonight, and I don’t remember seeing Woodyard.

Great how Battle smiles during runs. Not much worry in that face.

Love how everyone, including the subs, seems to be on the same page with this team.

… at least for one game, i hope you mean to say. We’ve hardly looked cohesive coming into tonight, but it’s definitely a jumping off point I’m hoping.

And talk of the tourney again? Really? Can we just slow down a bit please… let’s keep things in perspective guys - we beat probably the worst team in the ACC, it’s a game we need to expect to win and most of you were doubting our chances coming in. Yet others are now considering tourney chances already? :smiley: you guys crack me up.

…breathe…

All that being said - it was a road win against a major conference opponent, and that’s a good sign. Talor was awful in the 1st, magical in the 2nd. Nobody else had a very consistent game either, so maybe it’s just the nature of this squad. Brooks had a nice game overall, and Frazier did a pretty good job handling the pressure on all but a couple of occasions.

We’re still committing bad fouls in terrible spots on the floor during really awful moments in the game. We still are chucking and ducking way too much for my liking. Jones and Babb have yet to look great for more than 10 combined minutes between them this season.

BUT - we’re still in a position to win a good amount of games with these players we have right now, as they are only going to get better and better over the next few years. We have as much talent as PSU has ever had at one time - 10 guys who can all contribute without us really losing too much on the floor, which is unbelievable.

Now it’s on Ed, frankly. We have enough pieces with this current lineup to start being a very solid team that can compete with nearly any program outside of the top 10, in my opinion… if we’re ever able to execute an interior offensive strategy consistently, and begin defending in a tougher fashion every night.

Neither of those should be out of reach for this team by seasons end - but I still expect many bumps in the road in getting there. Should be a fun trip to take though. ;D

Maybe this was mentioned before, sorry if it was. But, did anyone notice the slow hand on the game clock with about 27 seconds left? It was unbelievable, Virginia took the ball across half court before the clock started, it was probably around 5 seconds. I was really ticked when they had a shot to tie it with a few seconds left, the game should have been over. I wish someone would have caught it and gotten the refs to reset the clock. I’m glad PSU won, but it really could have changed the outcome of the game

Brooks had a decent game, but he’s got to stop picking up two fouls in the first couple minutes of the game.

I missed that, I’ll have to watch the replay.

[quote=“ronb89, post:11, topic:379”]After their showing in Charleston, this is a huge huge huge improvement. Going into an ACC arena and winning (even if UVA isn’t an upper end school) is big. Even if UVA ends up like GT did last year, it will help this team gel. I think that win last year was a huge confidence builder, and this win was actually kinda similar.

Still a long way to go, but this gives some hope that there are good things to come for the season.[/quote]

I told you guys that the new guys had to feel their way. The amazing thing is the other teams know Talor is the straw that stirs the drink and they still can’t stop him.

Just watched the replay of this… UVA never touched the ball until it was at close to halfcourt. That’s why the clock never started.

[quote="ronb89, post:11, topic:379"]After their showing in Charleston, this is a huge huge huge improvement. Going into an ACC arena and winning (even if UVA isn't an upper end school) is big. Even if UVA ends up like GT did last year, it will help this team gel. I think that win last year was a huge confidence builder, and this win was actually kinda similar.

Still a long way to go, but this gives some hope that there are good things to come for the season.[/quote]

I told you guys that the new guys had to feel their way. The amazing thing is the other teams know Talor is the straw that stirs the drink and they still can’t stop him.

They tried to guard Talor and he threw a couple of incredible passes to Brooks and Jones for dunks. This team has more weapons (maybe not as deadly) than last year, so it will be more difficult to cheat. Last year the opponent could cover three guys pretty much. This year it’s at least 4 guys. And Jones will have that breakout game at some point. Brooks showed some passion tonight. Only 8 points, but he banged inside, blocked a shot or two (how many blocks did we have tonight? more than all of last season?) and played pretty solid defense. Hope he keeps playing like this every game – at least the effort if not the results.

Brooks is a player…he had some really nice blocks in the first couple minutes of the game. He also didn’t force anything on the offensive end. Really excited to see how he continues to progress throughout the season.

Talor was lights out (ie - @ MSU last season). Did I hear correctly…is he potentially going to be the first Big10 player to go for 1000 pts, 600 rbs, and 600 assists…seriously, the most well-rounded player in Big10 HISTORY!!!