PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Penn State (2-0, 0-0) 66 St Joe's 57

Dave Jones chips in with the first game story.

Penn State wins ugly hoop scrum with Saint Joseph’s

I actually saw Jones at the game - a midweek non-conference appearance from him is a real rarity.

The SID’s article

Nittany Lions Down Saint Joseph’s, 66-57

[quote=“UncleLar, post:1, topic:1511”]Dave Jones chips in with the first game story.

Penn State wins ugly hoop scrum with Saint Joseph’s

I actually saw Jones at the game - a midweek non-conference appearance from him is a real rarity. [/quote]

I think I overheard him in the press room saying he didn’t need to see more of this that he’d be back later for Maryland or a game like that.

Just enough: Nittany Lions overcome sloppy play to clip Hawks by Jeff Rice

Struggling Lions’ offense relies on forward Jeff Brooks in victory By Jared Shanker Collegian Columnist

Defense propels Lions in win By Emily Kaplan Collegian Staff Writer

Despite 3-point woes, PSU rolls By Mark Brennan, For the Mirror

Giger: Bracketologist Lunardi likes PSU’s schedule
Commentary
November 17, 2010 - By Cory Giger cgiger@altoonamirror.com

Haha, what a surprise. Cynical Dave at his best.

[quote="NGameday, post:3, topic:1511"]I think I overheard him in the press room saying he didn't need to see more of this that he'd be back later for Maryland or a game like that.[/quote]

Haha, what a surprise. Cynical Dave at his best.

+1 :slight_smile:

'Twas a two birds - one stone night for Dave. Tho some don’t like his style, I like his substance. The fact that people often go out of their way to complain about him proves that he is doing an important part of his job, getting people to talk about Penn State Hoops. Something we can never get enough of. Same goes for past pundits like Kim Jones & Heather Dinnich.

What about Jeff Rice, Mark Brennan, and the Collegian staff? I think they do a much better job of getting people to talk about PSU hoops than Mr. Jones. I agree with you, he is an excellent writer but you’d have to admit it he is sometimes a bit of a “Johnny come lately” anymore when it comes to covering PSU hoops on a consistent basis like he used to years ago. I miss his regular coverage of PSU hoops.

[quote="manatree, post:8, topic:1511"]'Twas a two birds - one stone night for Dave. Tho some don't like his style, I like his substance. The fact that people often go out of their way to complain about him proves that he is doing an important part of his job, getting people to talk about Penn State Hoops. Something we can never get enough of. Same goes for past pundits like Kim Jones & Heather Dinnich.[/quote]

What about Jeff Rice, Mark Brennan, and the Collegian staff? I think they do a much better job of getting people to talk about PSU hoops than Mr. Jones. I agree with you, he is an excellent writer but you’d have to admit it he is sometimes a bit of a “Johnny come lately” anymore when it comes to covering PSU hoops on a consistent basis like he used to years ago. I miss his regular coverage of PSU hoops.

To use a retail phrase, a satisfied customer is a silent customer. I tend to think that a disagreeable piece generates more discussion than an agreeable one. Rice & Brennan do a fine job. However, neither one likes to rock the boat. And that’s fine, as long as you have a cynic like Jones.

Jeff & Mark are Swing and Bop. Dave is Bossa Nova.