PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Penn State (1-0, 0-0) 70, Lehigh 56

Nice second-half effort.

Brooks 5 blocks. He is making layup a lot harder.

Oliver is right now 3rd best player on the team.

Brooks had a great game

10 points, 9 rebounds, 5 blocks.

I’ll take it.

[quote=“PSUdraw, post:2, topic:1492”]Brooks 5 blocks. He is making layup a lot harder.

Oliver is right now 3rd best player on the team.[/quote]

I’ll respectfully disagree with the second statement. He looks good, but you’re jumping the gun.

[quote="PSUdraw, post:2, topic:1492"]Brooks 5 blocks. He is making layup a lot harder.

I’ll respectfully disagree with the second statement. He looks good, but you’re jumping the gun.

I’d agree. It’s just one game I don’t think we can definitively say he’s the 3rd best player.

I never really had my doubts we were going to win this game, because we were just missing a lot of good looks in the first half. I had no confidence in Lehigh’s ability to defense once the shots started falling, as they almost always do at some point.

Could we have played a bit better still? Yes. But I was really glad to see some guys we all had questions with step up and answer some of those questions, at least for tonight.

Tim Frazier deserves a lot of credit, he was playing extremely confidently out there for the 2nd time this week - 6 assists, 7 rebounds, and 6 points is a fantastic stat line for him, but I thought he did a lot of good things tonight that didn’t show up on the stat sheet also in terms of being a quiet leader out there. 3 TO’s still needs to improve, but I’ll take a 2-1 a/t ratio anyday from a sophomore point.

How about DJ, too? He just couldn’t get his shot to fall early on, but he stuck with it where he might have gotten down on himself in year’s past… and he wound up taking over the game in the 2nd half at one point.

And let’s not forget how well we shot from the foul line tonight - makes life a lot easier, especially holding onto a lead.

I thought defensively we still gave up an inordinately high amount of open shots around the perimeter on slow rotations - but inside we held our own, with Brooksy suddenly doing his best Booth impression the last two games… and we continued rebounding well from last year.

I just thought decision making was very good for most of this game, despite the early shooting struggles. It was nice to see a team that looked like they had a clue in terms of playing as a unit. Granted, this is against a bit of a rebuilding Lehigh team who missed a lot of open shots the 2nd half… but a great start IMO, I can’t wait for the next one to see what else these guys can do now.

Some of the more interesting numbers for discussion:

POINTS OFF TURNOVERS 1 2 - Tot
LEHIGH… 1 3 - 4
Penn State… 3 6 - 9

POINTS IN PAINT 1 2 - Tot
LEHIGH… 4 4 - 8
Penn State… 8 22 - 30

2ND CHANCE POINTS 1 2 - Tot
LEHIGH… 1 5 - 6
Penn State… 9 10 - 19

FAST BREAK POINTS 1 2 - Tot
LEHIGH… 0 2 - 2
Penn State… 0 2 - 2

BENCH POINTS 1 2 - Tot
LEHIGH… 17 9 - 26
Penn State… 5 10 - 15

When as the last time a PSU player had 5 blocks?

Jan Jagla 2003. Courtesy of PSUSTRETCH

[quote="PSUdraw, post:2, topic:1492"]Brooks 5 blocks. He is making layup a lot harder.

Who was the last Penn State player with a 10 pt debut?

Who was the last Penn State player with a 10 pt debut?

How does that have anything to do with where he ranks in terms of the current lineup?

I thought that we might struggle against Lehigh, but I didn’t think we would struggle as much as we did in the first half. I thought that McCollum might go off on us but he was held to just 7 points. I’m happy that we came out hot in the second half and won like we were supposed to. Hopefully the first half was just the team figuring things out and we will see better play from these guys.

we didn’t play all that badly in the 1st half, for the record. It wasn’t a great performance, don’t get me wrong - but mostly the shots just weren’t falling. What were we, 20 percent shooting? Even just 30 percent and the game was probably tied at the half.

CJ McCollum scored in single digits just 4 games last year.

Gabe Knutson was shut down, too.

Can we get some love for the defense?

Maybe I am but I have feeling in few more games more people will agree with me.

Here’s a link to the boxscore

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2010-2011/leh-psu.html

[quote="lynkpsu, post:13, topic:1492"]I thought that we might struggle against Lehigh, but I didn't think we would struggle as much as we did in the first half. I thought that McCollum might go off on us but he was held to just 7 points. I'm happy that we came out hot in the second half and won like we were supposed to. Hopefully the first half was just the team figuring things out and we will see better play from these guys.[/quote]

we didn’t play all that badly in the 1st half, for the record. It wasn’t a great performance, don’t get me wrong - but mostly the shots just weren’t falling. What were we, 20 percent shooting? Even just 30 percent and the game was probably tied at the half.

I didn’t actually watch or hear anything of the game so I can only go by the boxscore. I’m hoping that the first half was just rust and it being the first official game.

Maybe I am but I have feeling in few more games more people will agree with me.

That’s fine, but would you like to expand a bit in terms of what you mean by “3rd best player” and why you have come to this conclusion so quickly?

Basketball IQ for Oliver is impressive when you see him. He got nice clean soft shot. He will hit lots of 3s with the guards that can penetrate and with pick and pops. He has good enough handle to play minutes at 3. He will be plus 75% free throw shooter. He totally reminds me of the old heady PSU players of Parkhill era. Only thing I want to see more is if he has a low post back to the basket game.

Minutes played tonight-- 29min, 4th on the team.