PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Paterno's retirement statement

Joe’s statement announcing his retirement this morning hit all the right notes, except for this one.

At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can.

If I was a Board member reading that, I’d be mighty miffed. Classic Paterno. I’m running my program. You can go pound sand. Don’t bother me.

It’s basically been Paterno’s consistent message to Spanier, and it expresses the divide between the two. As much as I’ve revered JoePa since 1966, I hope we never again allow a Penn State head coach to run his own empire. Joe was the only payroll employee in America with no boss, I don’t care what the Penn State org chart says. He was basically bigger than the University, and that plays some role in the mess we’re currently in.

[quote=“Evan Ceg, post:1, topic:2790”]Joe’s statement announcing his retirement this morning hit all the right notes, except for this one.

At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can.

If I was a Board member reading that, I’d be mighty miffed. Classic Paterno. I’m running my program. You can go pound sand. Don’t bother me.

It’s basically been Paterno’s consistent message to Spanier, and it expresses the divide between the two. As much as I’ve revered JoePa since 1966, I hope we never again allow a Penn State head coach to run his own empire. Joe was the only payroll employee in American with no boss, I don’t care what the Penn State org chart says. He was basically bigger than the University, and that plays some role in the mess were currently in. [/quote]

I had to laugh to myself a bit when I see the reports that Spanier will either resign, or his resignation will be demanded.

If the latter happens, does he now know how to simply refuse? :slight_smile:

[quote=“Evan Ceg, post:1, topic:2790”]Joe’s statement announcing his retirement this morning hit all the right notes, except for this one.

It’s basically been Paterno’s consistent message to Spanier, and it expresses the divide between the two. As much as I’ve revered JoePa since 1966, I hope we never again allow a Penn State head coach to run his own empire. Joe was the only payroll employee in American with no boss, I don’t care what the Penn State org chart says. He was basically bigger than the University, and that plays some role in the mess were currently in.[/quote]

Whow, people will find negative in anything. I didn’t see anything wrong with that statement.

As far as Paterno “running the empire”, would you rather see someone like Curley or Spanier with more influence? That sends chills down my spine.

Joe's statement announcing his retirement this morning hit all the right notes, except for this one.

It’s basically been Paterno’s consistent message to Spanier, and it expresses the divide between the two. As much as I’ve revered JoePa since 1966, I hope we never again allow a Penn State head coach to run his own empire. Joe was the only payroll employee in American with no boss, I don’t care what the Penn State org chart says. He was basically bigger than the University, and that plays some role in the mess were currently in.

Whow, people will find negative in anything. I didn’t see anything wrong with that statement.

As far as Paterno “running the empire”, would you rather see someone like Curley or Spanier with more influence? That sends chills down my spine.

Yes, in the sense that both the president and AD should have more. I know that’s not what you meant, but I think we have a habit here of twisting the questions for the answers we’d like to provide. :slight_smile:

I want the next Penn State head football coach reporting to the athletic director. Yes. Absolutely. I have a more positive opinion of Curley and Spanier than you do, but since they won’t be working for Penn State much longer, that discussion is moot.

[quote="Evan Ceg, post:1, topic:2790"]Joe's statement announcing his retirement this morning hit all the right notes, except for this one.

It’s basically been Paterno’s consistent message to Spanier, and it expresses the divide between the two. As much as I’ve revered JoePa since 1966, I hope we never again allow a Penn State head coach to run his own empire. Joe was the only payroll employee in American with no boss, I don’t care what the Penn State org chart says. He was basically bigger than the University, and that plays some role in the mess were currently in.[/quote]

Yes, in the sense that both the president and AD should have more. I know that’s not what you meant, but I think we have a habit here of twisting the questions for the answers we’d like to provide. :slight_smile:

I know… I just don’t have a very high opinion of Curley at this point. Never have.

I just find it hard to phathom that someone criticises Paterno for his statement that he will step aside.

Skeeza, I don’t like to do much “state of mind” reading when I see statements, but that statement does leave some room to interpret intent.

Whether he was intending to tell the BOT to pound sand, who knows. But it does seem to suggest he believes that this is his decision only.

A school spokesman today said he knew nothing about Paterno’s retirement, which could mean that he is doing everything unilaterally.

I don’t think Paterno meant it the way it sounds, but it definitely does sound the way the thread starter says.

It’s no longer Joe’s decision on if he stays or not, so for him to step up and announce his plans without going to the board about it first could definitely be construed as a slap to the face of the board. They could very well fire him tonight and it would not shock me.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:8, topic:2790”]I don’t think Paterno meant it the way it sounds, but it definitely does sound the way the thread starter says.

It’s no longer Joe’s decision on if he stays or not, so for him to step up and announce his plans without going to the board about it first could definitely be construed as a slap to the face of the board. They could very well fire him tonight and it would not shock me.[/quote]

Crafty, I can see which side you stand on, and I will refrain from getting into this very much. I don’t want to start going back and forth about it.

It’s pretty obvious to everyone, EVERYONE, over the past few years that it would be extremely difficult to fire a legend. Spanier knew it, Curley knew it, I know it, you know it, every Penn State fan knows it, and I absolutely believe that Paterno knew it. We also know that it’s what has enable his to keep the HC job to this point. NOBODY wants to be the guy that fires Paterno.

I truly believe that this is what Patnero was referring to. Did you see the kids in Beaver Canyon? Did you see the kids outfront of his house? Wait til you see the crowd at the Beav this Saturday.

I don’t think Paterno wanted to put the BoT in the position of having to fire him, and have them face the backlash from it.

Maybe I’m naive, but that’s what I think.

Again, I will back out of these conversations. They are getting too forum-ism.

Skeeza i think you are totally disregarding all the views outside of your own as being in the small minority, and you would be dead wrong to make that assumption.

I understand that many people still support Joe. Hell, I still support him in the sense that I don’t think these allegations necessarily make him a bad person, nor do I believe that most people would have acted differently than him despite all the high-horsing going around right now.

But this was his program and these things look like they did in fact really happen. This is real life, not football. Consequences are far greater than moving back 10 yards or losing a game. I’m not sure you are showing the proper amount of appreciation for that fact in some of your posts this evening.

…As much as I’ve revered JoePa since 1966, I hope we never again allow a Penn State head coach to run his own empire. Joe was the only payroll employee in America with no boss, I don’t care what the Penn State org chart says. He was basically bigger than the University, and that plays some role in the mess we’re currently in.[/quote]

My impression is that the athletic department has been sort of autonomous, a little empire of its own. That has to change. I think we all just assumed ethics wouldn’t be a problem as long as Joe Paterno was there setting his standards. That’s a big part of the tragedy here. Lesson learned, I hope.

Joe's statement announcing his retirement this morning hit all the right notes, except for this one. ...As much as I've revered JoePa since 1966, I hope we never again allow a Penn State head coach to run his own empire. Joe was the only payroll employee in America with no boss, I don't care what the Penn State org chart says. He was basically bigger than the University, and that plays some role in the mess we're currently in.

My impression is that the athletic department has been sort of autonomous, a little empire of its own. That has to change. I think we all just assumed ethics wouldn’t be a problem as long as Joe Paterno was there setting his standards. That’s a big part of the tragedy here. Lesson learned, I hope.

That is with just about every self-supporting Athletic Program in the country.

[quote="Evan Ceg, post:1, topic:2790"]Joe's statement announcing his retirement this morning hit all the right notes, except for this one. ...As much as I've revered JoePa since 1966, I hope we never again allow a Penn State head coach to run his own empire. Joe was the only payroll employee in America with no boss, I don't care what the Penn State org chart says. He was basically bigger than the University, and that plays some role in the mess we're currently in.[/quote]

That is with just about every self-supporting Athletic Program in the country.

Even the non self-supporting ones. We reach this startling conclusion every ten years or so, issue a scathing blue ribbon report, and then return to business as usual.

Every 20 years or so something horrible happens at some place like Maryland, and they try to knock athletics down to a more appropriate role, and that works for a while until the alumni there convince themselves that “all the pieces are in place” to be national champions in everything, but mostly basketball and football, and the whole sordid process begins again.

Didn’t know where to put this, so I thought I’d use this thread.

I have said many times before to the “fire JoPa” and the “JOe Must Go” crowd that they don’t realize what the program will be like after Joe Leaves.

Everyone, especially the powers that be at Penn State, feel that what Joe created was almost by accident, as if it would have happened by itself no matter who was on the sidelines. Everyone thinks that they can sit in the drivers seat of this vessel and sterr it a lot better than Paterno did.

The farce that is going on right now is a small indication of things to come, and is an example of what would be happening.

This may be the most vital recruting time of the entire calendar year. There is nothing more important to the success of a team and a program than recuiting.

I cannot imaging doing anything is a worse manner than to tie up an entire program’s ability to recruit thatn to have a head coaching vacancy that lingers for weeks at a time, especially now. But, that is exactly what is happening.

They honestly have no clue. We are losing recruits. Some has to do with the scandal, a lot has to do with the fact that there is no way you can have a kid commit, and it is hard to retain that committment when you cannot even tell that recruit who ANYONE will be on the staff, and you will not be able to tell them for several more weeks.

…and this is their PLAN !!!

:-[

[quote=“Skeeza, post:14, topic:2790”]Didn’t know where to put this, so I thought I’d use this thread.

I have said many times before to the “fire JoPa” and the “JOe Must Go” crowd that they don’t realize what the program will be like after Joe Leaves.

Everyone, especially the powers that be at Penn State, feel that what Joe created was almost by accident, as if it would have happened by itself no matter who was on the sidelines. Everyone thinks that they can sit in the drivers seat of this vessel and sterr it a lot better than Paterno did.

The farce that is going on right now is a small indication of things to come, and is an example of what would be happening.

This may be the most vital recruting time of the entire calendar year. There is nothing more important to the success of a team and a program than recuiting.
I cannot imaging doing anything is a worse manner than to tie up an entire program’s ability to recruit thatn to have a head coaching vacancy that lingers for weeks at a time, especially now. But, that is exactly what is happening.

They honestly have no clue. We are losing recruits. Some has to do with the scandal, a lot has to do with the fact that there is no way you can have a kid commit, and it is hard to retain that committment when you cannot even tell that recruit who ANYONE will be on the staff, and you will not be able to tell them for several more weeks.

:-[[/quote]
Certainly agree that there is nothing more important to a stable program than recruiting, but the fact that we are in a total dead period makes the current time period not vital to the recruiting calendar.
Clueless? Can’t say that I am surprised. When Dave Joner was appointed, I believe I posted on here that I could not understand what Dr. Joyner had in his resume that qualified him to be the Atletice Director CEO of Penn State’s mega athletic department. What experience does Dave have relative to the mundane elements of running the Athletic Department, much less taking on the manmouth task of a national search for a head football coach. The AD experience chasm from Curley to Joyner is probably not much less as the MD experince chasm would be from Joyner to Curley. Kind of scary.
Dr. Joyner’s resume for life is impeccable but I would rather have him as my orthopedic doctor than my AD.

Night before Laschmas :slight_smile:

http://www.laschout.org/2011/12/23/twas-the-night-before-christmas-laschout-style/

[quote=“Duff, post:15, topic:2790”]Certainly agree that there is nothing more important to a stable program than recruiting, but the fact that we are in a total dead period makes the current time period not vital to the recruiting calendar.
Clueless? Can’t say that I am surprised. When Dave Joner was appointed, I believe I posted on here that I could not understand what Dr. Joyner had in his resume that qualified him to be the Atletice Director CEO of Penn State’s mega athletic department. What experience does Dave have relative to the mundane elements of running the Athletic Department, much less taking on the manmouth task of a national search for a head football coach. The AD experience chasm from Curley to Joyner is probably not much less as the MD experince chasm would be from Joyner to Curley. Kind of scary.
Dr. Joyner’s resume for life is impeccable but I would rather have him as my orthopedic doctor than my AD.[/quote]

I understand that we are in a dead period, but the lack of a HC still haunts us now, and it has been haunting us for the past several weeks if not months since Paterno was dismissed. I think he was fired on Nov 7th, and here we are almost 7 weeks later without a HC, and there is no sign of one to come for another 2 weeks.

Just last week, we lost a fantastic DT (Shutt) to Ohio State, and we pretty much lost out on Spence to them as well. They just hired Urban Meyer, and are cleaning up. There is no way we can compete with that without even knowing what type of offensive or defensive schemes we will be using next year. By the time we name a HC, there will be nobody left to recruit, and we will be so far behind on the ones remaining that we won’t have a chance with those ones either.

They truly are running this into the ground. …and this is just the beginning.

Hold on guys…maybe there is hope!

http://www.laschout.org/2011/12/23/something-brewing-on-the-blue-turf/

[quote=“tundra, post:18, topic:2790”]Hold on guys…maybe there is hope!

http://www.laschout.org/2011/12/23/something-brewing-on-the-blue-turf/[/quote]

This seems like a lot more of “nothing”, expect for panic and speculation.

Apparently, several major Boise State boosters were scrambling and making calls to contacts in Pennsylvania today [i]inquiring if they had heard any news [/i] on Boise State coach Chris Petersen’s possible involvement in the Penn State head coaching search. The general sentiment was “something big is going on"

That tell me that it is a classic “small school has a coach who is a hot commodity, they are pretty sure he will move on to greeener pastures, and Penn State has an opening, so there MUST be something going on.”

If, as the article states, he has turned down other offers to stay at Boise to this point, I doubt he comes to Penn State. As said before, most coaches are looking for the best (i.e. $$$) offer, and Penn State will not be better than others. Just like Urban Meyer, if he has other options, he will be more inclined to take those than to take a job of HC at a school stained with pedophilia stygmas, facing sanctions, and relatively low paying.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:14, topic:2790”]Didn’t know where to put this, so I thought I’d use this thread.

:-[[/quote]

You are overreacting.

The worst thing that they could have done would have been to rush to hire someone in an attempt to save one recruiting class (and it’s doubtful that any hire other than Bradley or Urban Meyer could have saved the class anyway). They needed to take a long term view on this. It’s way too early to criticize the search committee (actually just Ira and Joyner anyway). In fact, it will only be in hindsight a few years down the road when the decision can truly be evaluated.