PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Pat on Daily News Live

Brian just tweeted that Pat will be on Daily News Live. Probably via the phone, but if he’s there in person…

I suspect it won’t be the last time he’s on Daily News Live. I’ll still be at work. I’ll catch it tonight On Demand.

He’ll either be on the phone or video conference. I don’t see how he could get to Philly, after already travelling to Ohio today to talk to Lewis.

This hire will get us better media coverage in the Philadelphia area for sure.

Dana O’Neil covered Villanova when Chambers was there and was a regular on Daily News Live. I’m sure she will plug Chambers on ESPN as much as possible.

Joe Juliano asked a question at the press conference today and he’s a Philadelphia writer.

W/ Chambers Philly background, Nova background, Big 5 background, personality, etc., he will get more face time and print coverage than Ed did. No question.

If Chambers can put together teams comprised of Philly kids, watch how much more attention the program gets.

The Philly media exposure would be great.

I loved having Penn State basketball on my Albany sports news because of Talor. Thanks a lot Taran. :-[

To the best of my recollection, Dick Jerardi has never written about Penn State Basketball since he’s become part of our radio broadcast team, probably to avoid conflict-of-interest issues. Has anyone heard whether Jerardi will be returning next season on the radio team (I hope so). His kid(s) may have graduated from Penn State by now. I wonder if Dick will want to stick on the broadcast team to watch the program progress under Philly guy Chambers. If Jerardi is not returning to the broadcast team, do you suppose he’d be inclined to write more often about the PSU MBB program?

I’d love to know Steve Jones’s candid thoughts on the DeChellis-Chambers transition, but I also know Steve would never share them.

Re: Philly. They don’t write about it because nobody’s interested down there. Cripes, Jones has to will himself to cover the team half the time because nobody’s interested in central PA most of the time.

If Pat Chambers signs a McDonald’s All American from Philly I will happily eat my words, but I expect we will see more of the same: hustling, signing kids being recruited at our level (whether in Philadelphia, PA, or Philadelphia, Miss.), and trying to get lucky (Geary, Jamelle, Talor) at a higher rate than in the past.

I am sure that when we are lucky (as with Geary, Jamelle and Talor) we will all point out how Patrick has a special nose for talent, and when we are not (insert your favorite bench player here) we will bemoan his ability to develop players and wonder if he wants to recruit Big 10 talent. If he gets lucky more often than normal, he will be hailed as a genius.

I’m very excited about this hire. I think he is a great choice to continue doing what Parkhill and DeChellis were doing, and he will bring in good kids who will play hard. And hopefully, get lucky.

Top 50 D I prospects in the “Penn State T” since Gerry McNamara: 0.

What we really need is a Jeff Lebo, Billy Owens, Gerry McNamara type to turn up in the Penn State T.

[quote=“tjb, post:6, topic:2470”]Re: Philly. They don’t write about it because nobody’s interested down there. Cripes, Jones has to will himself to cover the team half the time because nobody’s interested in central PA most of the time.

If Pat Chambers signs a McDonald’s All American from Philly I will happily eat my words, but I expect we will see more of the s :(ame: hustling, signing kids being recruited at our level (whether in Philadelphia, PA, or Philadelphia, Miss.), and trying to get lucky (Geary, Jamelle, Talor) at a higher rate than in the past.

I am sure that when we are lucky (as with Geary, Jamelle and Talor) we will all point out how Patrick has a special nose for talent, and when we are not (insert your favorite bench player here) we will bemoan his ability to develop players and wonder if he wants to recruit Big 10 talent. If he gets lucky more often than normal, he will be hailed as a genius.

I’m very excited about this hire. I think he is a great choice to continue doing what Parkhill and DeChellis were doing, and he will bring in good kids who will play hard.[/quote]

Are there actually people who are having a hard time letting go of the Parkhill coaching tree era? Its over. And thankfully so. It produced results ranging from half decent to horrible. You can assert that Pat won’t do any better than Parkhill or DeChellis, but the fact is we don’t know what somebody from outside of that mediocre coaching tree will do, because we’ve been unwilling to go there since joining the Big Ten. Now we get to find out.

What, lose? You can’t be serious, Tim. You are excited about a new coach because you think that he will produce Dechellis-like results??

Hopefully PC can speed up the process faster than the rate ED was going.

Also, why leave Dunn out of that? Was Dunn not doing the exact same thing that Parkhill and especially DeChellis were doing over 8 years? I can produce charts if we need visuals.

I'm very excited about this hire. I think he is a great choice to continue doing what Parkhill and DeChellis were doing, and he will bring in good kids who will play hard. And hopefully, get lucky.

Also, why leave Dunn out of that? Was Dunn not doing the exact same thing that Parkhill and especially DeChellis were doing over 8 years? I can produce charts if we need visuals.

Nay…Dunn’s record was much better than DeChellis…and I think he recruited much better…
I’ll put a :wink: so we don’t get any more “revolving pie charts!”

I shouldn’t have alluded to the “Parkhill tree”, since those seem to be fighting words.

The only point I was trying to make is that I think Chambers will work hard and coach them up, but he will need luck, too. I also made it very clear that I will have to eat my words if he recruits a Philly kid that everybody else wants.

I’ve been following this closely for thirty years. Before that, I used to go to the Palestra and root for Penn (or anyone else) against Rollie Massimino. I’ve wasted a quarter of the last two-thirds of my life obsessing over this hapless program and how it can be better.

So if there is any condescension to display here, it will come from me.

Tim,

I know you are on board with the Chambers hire, but you are qualifying everything by saying you have doubs. Your doubt is based on what Parkhill and his 2 assistants did recruiting wise for 30 years.

All I have ever heard was that Parkhill didn’t like recruiting. Parkhill was a solid coach that got great effort out of what he had.

Why was recruiting going to get better when Dunn wasn’t a great recruiter under Parkhill? Why was recruiting going to get better when Ed wasn’t a great recruiter under Parkhill?

The program has been in the Big Ten for almost 20 years without a coach known for recruiting ability. How can anyone make a judgement that you can’t recruit here when the only people that have been given the opportunity were never known for recruiting to begin w/.

In the most extreme example ever, Calipari would get McDonald’s All Americans to come to Penn State. I know we don’t want Calipari here, I only give the example because players would come to Penn State to play for him. I guarantee by default Chambers brings in better players than Dunn or Ed did. By default.

[quote=“ChambersEra, post:13, topic:2470”]Tim,

I know you are on board with the Chambers hire, but you are qualifying everything by saying you have doubs. Your doubt is based on what Parkhill and his 2 assistants did recruiting wise for 30 years.

All I have ever heard was that Parkhill didn’t like recruiting. Parkhill was a solid coach that got great effort out of what he had.

Why was recruiting going to get better when Dunn wasn’t a great recruiter under Parkhill? Why was recruiting going to get better when Ed wasn’t a great recruiter under Parkhill?

The program has been in the Big Ten for almost 20 years without a coach known for recruiting ability. How can anyone make a judgement that you can’t recruit here when the only people that have been given the opportunity were never known for recruiting to begin w/.In the most extreme example ever, Calipari would get McDonald’s All Americans to come to Penn State. I know we don’t want Calipari here, I only give the example because players would come to Penn State to play for him. I guarantee by default Chambers brings in better players than Dunn or Ed did. By default.[/quote]Boom! We’ve finally got what a lot of us have always wanted(parting ways with the PSU coaching tree)…now just hang on and enjoy the ride

Ok, you get 1,600 on your boards (dating myself here - that’s what used to be a perfect score). You’ve got a 4.3 GPA and you are president of the student council, sing in the chorus and run cross country.

Stanford, Harvard and Penn State offer you a full ride. Penn State has this shiny honors college and the professors seem really interested in you. At Harvard and Stanford, though, you will get to work with Nobel prize-winners and the best students of your generation.

You’re from Bucks or Delaware County, so aside from some general awareness of Joe Paterno (who your parents seems to like), you don’t really know about Penn State.

Where do you go?

[quote=“ChambersEra, post:13, topic:2470”]Tim,

The program has been in the Big Ten for almost 20 years without a coach known for recruiting ability. How can anyone make a judgement that you can’t recruit here when the only people that have been given the opportunity were never known for recruiting to begin w/.

In the most extreme example ever, Calipari would get McDonald’s All Americans to come to Penn State. I know we don’t want Calipari here, I only give the example because players would come to Penn State to play for him. I guarantee by default Chambers brings in better players than Dunn or Ed did. By default.[/quote]

Absolutely. I also have no doubt that Chambers will recruit better than DeChellis or Dunn ever did. That’s barely even something I would bother to debate with a doubter.

What I don’t understand is the attachment to Parkhill. Some people still bring him up all the time like it was the golden age of basketball or something. I have heard far more negative than good about him, and he went to all of 1 NCAA tournament in 10 years. I think it kills his cult following that Dunn went to 2 and went farther with his own players. Every time I listen to an older fan who is objective, it sounds like Harter was the one who could have built us into a power but left out of disgust at Paterno. Don’t get the preoccupation with Parkhill by the older fans or the AD. Thankfully the AD has moved on.

Bruce is a good man, that’s all. His teams always over achieved. Pete Lisicky, one of those kids from the Penn State T who was recruited by Duke and UCLA, said to me more than once that Parkhill and DeChellis were good recruiters and that Bruce’s stated dislike for it didn’t mean he wasn’t good at it. But I have no special allegiance to the Parkhill tree. It’s just those guys coached here for 20+ years. That’s the only reason I bring them up.

I do think that Patrick Chambers is going to get a lot more second-place finishes than Ed or Bruce got. (That was a Jerry Dunn specialty’ by the way.) Ed might have gotten more, but there was no one in our rather tiny recruiting area anywhere nearly as highly recruited as GMac and Matt Carroll.

[quote=“tjb, post:15, topic:2470”]Ok, you get 1,600 on your boards (dating myself here - that’s what used to be a perfect score). You’ve got a 4.3 GPA and you are president of the student council, sing in the chorus and run cross country.

Stanford, Harvard and Penn State offer you a full ride. Penn State has this shiny honors college and the professors seem really interested in you. At Harvard and Stanford, though, you will get to work with Nobel prize-winners and the best students of your generation.

You’re from Bucks or Delaware County, so aside from some general awareness of Joe Paterno (who your parents seems to like), you don’t really know about Penn State.

Where do you go?[/quote]

The more relevant example would be one involving basketball. You are a 4 star PF. Pitt wants you. You think that is a great opportunity. You are going to be a star at Pitt. You think it’s your ticket to the NBA. Next day, a 5 star PF from across the country commits to Pitt. Looks like you’re going to have to beat him out for playing time. Penn State’s coach calls and convinces you that can be a role player there, or star of the team here. You think about it, I’d think

[quote="tjb, post:15, topic:2470"]Ok, you get 1,600 on your boards (dating myself here - that's what used to be a perfect score). You've got a 4.3 GPA and you are president of the student council, sing in the chorus and run cross country.

Where do you go?[/quote]

The more relevant example would be one involving basketball. You are a 4 star PF. Pitt wants you. You think that is a great opportunity. You are going to be a star at Pitt. You think it’s your ticket to the NBA. Next day, a 5 star PF from across the country commits to Pitt. Looks like you’re going to have to beat him out for playing time. Penn State’s coach calls and convinces you that can be a role player there, or star of the team here. You think about it, I’d think

Wrong. This straw man supposes that it is between Pitt and Penn State for a four-star recruit, and that he doesn’t think he’s better than the overrated five star forward. Even more likely, that Jamie hasn’t convinced both of them they will play (away from the basket, no less).

Unless that kid is in Johnstown, it ain’t happening that way.

Anyone want to put an over/under on how long it takes Pat to land a four-star recruit?

[quote="tjb, post:15, topic:2470"]Ok, you get 1,600 on your boards (dating myself here - that's what used to be a perfect score). You've got a 4.3 GPA and you are president of the student council, sing in the chorus and run cross country.

Where do you go?[/quote]

Wrong. This straw man supposes that it is between Pitt and Penn State for a four-star recruit, and that he doesn’t think he’s better than the overrated five star forward. Even more likely, that Jamie hasn’t convinced both of them they will play (away from the basket, no less).

Unless that kid is in Johnstown, it ain’t happening that way.

Anyone want to put an over/under on how long it takes Pat to land a four-star recruit?

Sure. I’ll take the under.