PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Pat Knight Rant

Apple didn’t fall too far from the tree.

This ranks up there with the Lee Elia tirade.
Pat Knight Has Epic Rant About Lamar

Thanks jje for giving me something to watch during my lunch.

I’ve been a Bobby Knight fan ever since I had the pleasure to sit down and interview him at center court of Indiana’s Assembly Hall. And now, following this wonderful rant, I’m a fan of his son.

Bobby always cared. He cared about doing right by his players, but he also cared deeply that his players did right by him. He had his quirky ways, sure, but there was a passion for doing things the right way and he would call his own players out if they didn’t follow those rules or felt they were half-azzing it.

Coaches get to that point of the season when they hit the tipping point. For all we know, Pat Knight has been saying similar things in the locker room to his team all season, but it never registers until the world finds out that you have been dogging it. This, I feel, is a last ditch effort by Coach Knight to see what he has from his seniors. Will they turn him off and just move on with their lives or will they give a shat and come out and play with a purpose, a passion?

i applaud Pat Knight for doing what he felt needed to be done. As a coach myself, you’re always looking to push kids buttons to see how they respond. i might not have carried on the way he did, but I probably would have called my players out in hopes that they turn it around to salvage their season and their careers.

i’ve always wondered if bobby knight ever stopped to think how long he’d last in the real world acting the way he does?

i always found it amusing that he demanded more discipline from his players than he did from himself.

Just to comment on my thoughts.

I thought it was FANTASTIC! Loved the part about taking responsibility.

Well, Pat, if you’re having problems with your team, it all starts at the top. You set the tone; you decide who plays. If you’re not happy with them, suspend them or sit them and bring in four kids from the intramural league. While I agree with some of his concepts, this sounds a lot like whining to me.

Would JoePa ever go to the microphone and call out groups of players. He may have done it once or twice to light a fire under a kid (Jimmy Kennedy comes to mind), but not like this.

Is narcissism genetic or environmental?

[quote=“Great Santini, post:5, topic:3110”]Well, Pat, if you’re having problems with your team, it all starts at the top. You set the tone; you decide who plays. If you’re not happy with them, suspend them or sit them and bring in four kids from the intramural league. While I agree with some of his concepts, this sounds a lot like whining to me.

Would JoePa ever go to the microphone and call out groups of players. He may have done it once or twice to light a fire under a kid (Jimmy Kennedy comes to mind), but not like this.[/quote]

If it were that easy, they could hire someone for $15/hr, hand them a checksheet, and they can “coach”.

Sometimes, instead of dismissing them, maybe they need to be motivated in one form or another. If this is the way he does it, if he can get them to play harder, if they end up kicking it into high gear, who’s to say it’s the wrong way?

[b]Well, Pat, if you're having problems with your team, it all starts at the top. You set the tone; you decide who plays. If you're not happy with them, suspend them or sit them and bring in four kids from the intramural league. While I agree with some of his concepts, this sounds a lot like whining to me.[/b]

Would JoePa ever go to the microphone and call out groups of players. He may have done it once or twice to light a fire under a kid (Jimmy Kennedy comes to mind), but not like this.

If it were that easy, they could hire someone for $15/hr, hand them a checksheet, and they can “coach”.

Sometimes, instead of dismissing them, maybe they need to be motivated in one form or another. If this is the way he does it, if he can get them to play harder, if they end up kicking it into high gear, who’s to say it’s the wrong way?

+1 Skeeza

It’s harsh and people usually have a hard time understanding the ways that coaches motivate. Yes, Bobby Knight was a lightening rod for criticism and sure he needed to look at himself in the mirror a lot. But he’s an old school coach who does it his way and whose to argue with him or his son for taking the paths that they take with their own teams.

Throwing a chair or choking one of your players…no doubt, over the top. But a little kick in the pants, be it in public as Pat Knight did it…whatever works.

If you throw chairs and choke kids, you’d better win!

[quote=“timauman, post:3, topic:3110”]i’ve always wondered if bobby knight ever stopped to think how long he’d last in the real world acting the way he does?

i always found it amusing that he demanded more discipline from his players than he did from himself.[/quote]

+1 “real world” seldom enters into athletics.

And how would any number of athletes survive in the real world. Pro sports (and I include the big two college sports in that term) is not the real world and should not be treated as such by anyone, especially those who have to manage it…the coaches and administrators.

We pump up these professional athletes so much that our own kids want to be like them. Well, a lot of them shouldn’t be idolized by their own kids let alone our kids. Charles Barkley had it right.

Coaches at this level and beyond have to deal with these prima donnas and you can get away with doing what Pat Knight or Bobby Knight does because they are college kids. That wouldn’t work in the real world, I agree…but again, they don’t live in the real world and they know it.

And when was the last time that Pat or Bobby Knight had a job in the real world?

Bobby Knight got delusional after his stint at West Point. I think he really thought he was Patton or Eisenhower.

[quote="NittanyIllini, post:11, topic:3110"]Coaches at this level and beyond have to deal with these prima donnas and you can get away with doing what Pat Knight or Bobby Knight does because they are college kids. That wouldn't work in the real world, I agree...but again, they don't live in the real world and they know it.[/quote]

And when was the last time that Pat or Bobby Knight had a job in the real world?

They haven’t and they know that they don’t live in the “real world”.

Hate to say it but I agree with just about everything Pat Knight said.

As a 36 year old and someone who worked in a retail for a few years with many much younger folks I can tell you the since of entitlement and lethargy is everywhere with both my late Gen Xers and certainly with the Millennials. A number of parents have done their kids no favors by protecting them from failure. Responding to failure is perhaps the most import skill in life. Because is a virtual lock that you will experience it at least a few times and fairly often when you are starting out on your own like I was (hence the retail job).

Perhaps this is why I also hate college footballs undefeated or bust mentality. After all would a team not get much better after its first loss like in every other sport?

[quote=“charnold, post:15, topic:3110”]Hate to say it but I agree with just about everything Pat Knight said.

As a 36 year old and someone who worked in a retail for a few years with many much younger folks I can tell you the since of entitlement and lethargy is everywhere with both my late Gen Xers and certainly with the Millennials. A number of parents have done their kids no favors by protecting them from failure. Responding to failure is perhaps the most import skill in life. Because is a virtual lock that you will experience it at least a few times and fairly often when you are starting out on your own like I was (hence the retail job).

Perhaps this is why I also hate college footballs undefeated or bust mentality. After all would a team not get much better after its first loss like in every other sport?[/quote]

I thought Pat Knight embarrassed himself there and I have no axe to grind w/ him or his father. While he might be right with the generation of players he’s coaching, that needs to stay in the locker. He’s the head coach, he doesn’t have to play these guys if he doesn’t want to.

The first thing Pat Knight talked about when looking at the stat sheet is what the guys shot from the floor. Are you serious? Talk about rebounding, or turnovers, or not getting loose balls. A team can play w/ a ton of heart and shoot the ball poorly so what was his point w/ that? Talking about poor shooting does nothing justify your complete disgust.

With all the abysmal shooting performances Penn State has had, could you imagine Pat Chambers doing that? Or any legitimate coach for that matter?

I would be shocked if Pat Knight is still the coach at Lamar after this season. Even if he has legitimate reasons for hating his team, he did a terrible job expressing himself.

[quote="NittanyIllini, post:11, topic:3110"]Coaches at this level and beyond have to deal with these prima donnas and you can get away with doing what Pat Knight or Bobby Knight does because they are college kids. That wouldn't work in the real world, I agree...but again, they don't live in the real world and they know it.[/quote]

Which of course makes them qualified to prepare people for the real world. :o

[quote="charnold, post:15, topic:3110"]Hate to say it but I agree with just about everything Pat Knight said.

Perhaps this is why I also hate college footballs undefeated or bust mentality. After all would a team not get much better after its first loss like in every other sport?[/quote]

I thought Pat Knight embarrassed himself there and I have no axe to grind w/ him or his father. While he might be right with the generation of players he’s coaching, that needs to stay in the locker. He’s the head coach, he doesn’t have to play these guys if he doesn’t want to.

The first thing Pat Knight talked about when looking at the stat sheet is what the guys shot from the floor. Are you serious? Talk about rebounding, or turnovers, or not getting loose balls. A team can play w/ a ton of heart and shoot the ball poorly so what was his point w/ that? Talking about poor shooting does nothing justify your complete disgust.

With all the abysmal shooting performances Penn State has had, could you imagine Pat Chambers doing that? Or any legitimate coach for that matter?

I would be shocked if Pat Knight is still the coach at Lamar after this season. Even if he has legitimate reasons for hating his team, he did a terrible job expressing himself.

I think if you followed the rant through to the end Pats issue was with shot selection forcing low percentage jump shots without using ball screens and the offensive flow. The kind of thing that would piss Pat off just as much. I think we can all thank Ed for spotting good kids with good parents and role models even if the talent was not always Big 10. Taylor’s brother was the only exception and I think under the circumstances that was understandable. Pat Knight was not as lucky.

And I also think this has been in the locker room from the start (especially with a Knight). I just think Pat wants the entire community to know what he knows. Fair warning was given. Its almost the end of February.

I didn’t watch the rant at work, but now that I’ve seen it, I’m kind of surprised that I am not as down on him as I thought. He probably should not have thrown the ‘drugs’ reference in there - which I would presume to be weed, which I have no problem with people doing.

I am still no fan of his father, who made himself bigger than the people around him. He can turn on the charm - all narcissists and bullies need to learn how to do that to survive - but his faults outweigh his positives, in my opinion.

Which of course makes them qualified to prepare people for the real world. :o

Am I saying that? Not at all.

I’m coming from a coaching perspective about the ways of motivating kids when nothing you have tried in the past has worked. That’s how i look at what Pat Knight is doing here. I agree with tjb in that he didn’t need to make note of all the transgressions (drugs and the like). As for Bobby, i guess I might have been in the same court as tjb (narcissist, bully and might I add nut job), but when you meet someone and had a good experience with that person, you do have a different feel. Maybe it is “turning on the charm”, but I now see Coach Knight in a better light than someone who only sees him from afar.

Is he still a narcissist, bully and nut job…probably…but he’s my favorite narcissist, bully and nut job. ;D