PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Pangos AA Camp

This is a big deal. Both Austin and Thorpe are out in Cali at the premiere basketball camp this weekend. One of the best opportunities of the summer to make lasting impressions, which is obviously both good for the players and the program. Rysheed Jordan and Jaron Hopkins are also attending. The full roster can be found here.

Rivals Preview

Penn State worked hard to get an early commitment out of Brandon Austin. Now, the 6-foot-6 small forward from Philadelphia (Pa.) Imhotep will get his chance to show what he can do on a national stage.

Scout has Austin as a ‘top player’ and MaxPreps lists Geno as a ‘Player to Watch’.

Hopefully we get some tweets from observers about our guys.

Some retweets from Team Philly about Brandon Austin at Pangos

Joel Francisco ‏@JoelFranESPN
6-6 Brandon Austin (Philadelphia) is making reminisce about Anfernee “Penny” Hardaway…slick skills/savvy/ passer

Jeff Borzello ‏@jeffborzello
Best players I saw on day two…Ben Simmons, Jarrell Martin, Conner Frankamp, Karviar Shepard, Brandon Austin, Jonathan Williams III.

Josh Gershon ‏@JoshGershon
Philly 2013 forward Brandon Austin is playing well. 6-6 forward has made some very nice passes and can handle it in open court.

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/FT6SiAHLf0-JWhtwD-X4Ww/pangos–mater-deis-stanley-johnson-getting-plenty-of-coaching.htm

[quote=“Keith, post:2, topic:3307”]Some retweets from Team Philly about Brandon Austin at Pangos

Joel Francisco ‏@JoelFranESPN
6-6 Brandon Austin (Philadelphia) is making reminisce about Anfernee “Penny” Hardaway…slick skills/savvy/ passer

Jeff Borzello ‏@jeffborzello
Best players I saw on day two…Ben Simmons, Jarrell Martin, Conner Frankamp, Karviar Shepard, Brandon Austin, Jonathan Williams III.

Josh Gershon ‏@JoshGershon
Philly 2013 forward Brandon Austin is playing well. 6-6 forward has made some very nice passes and can handle it in open court.[/quote]

Comparsion to “Penny” Hardaway seems valid from what I’ve seen of Austin.

One of our more prominent BSD members went and posted his evaluations last night.

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2012/6/2/3060180/caring-is-creepy-live-edition

More love and 1 of just 3 players mentioned for yesterday’s action.

http://fivestarbasketball.com/originals/06-03-2012-pangos-all-american-camp-day-two-1

Penn State commit Brandon Austin displayed his versatility on the offensive end on Saturday. The 6’6’’ Imhotep Charter junior ran the guard position with ease, shaking defenders with a slick crossover and finishing in the lane in traffic.

More good impressions from Geno and Brandon.

http://www.burlisononbasketball.com/2012/06/pangos-depth-on-display-saturday/

Here are 10 players who impressed me Saturday (excluding the guys I wrote about in Friday night’s rundown):

*Brandon Austin (6-6/2013/Philadelphia, PA, IMHOTEP): He is one of the multi-skilled players in the camp, with a slick set of handling and passing skills and a more than serviceable jump shot.

*Geno Thorpe (6-3/2013/Pittsburgh, PA, Shaler): Thorpe – like Brandon Austin, he’s already committed to Penn State – has played as well as any “combo guard” in the camp. He’s quicker than he appears and just as strong as he looks.

[quote=“eric17, post:7, topic:3307”]More good impressions from Geno and Brandon.

http://www.burlisononbasketball.com/2012/06/pangos-depth-on-display-saturday/

[quote]Here are 10 players who impressed me Saturday (excluding the guys I wrote about in Friday night’s rundown):

*Brandon Austin (6-6/2013/Philadelphia, PA, IMHOTEP): He is one of the multi-skilled players in the camp, with a slick set of handling and passing skills and a more than serviceable jump shot.

*Geno Thorpe (6-3/2013/Pittsburgh, PA, Shaler): Thorpe – like Brandon Austin, he’s already committed to Penn State – has played as well as any “combo guard” in the camp. He’s quicker than he appears and just as strong as he looks.[/quote][/quote]

Man these guys can’t get on campus soon enough. This upcoming season should show an improved team but the year following…lookout. :slight_smile:

They can’t sign their LOI soon enough.

Geno made the Top 60 all star game roster.

Brandon made the Top 30 all star game roster.

Question for you Eric, and others.

I read that these players travel to the Pangos AA Camp for “exposure”. But why does BA and GT need exposure when they are verballed to PSU already? What benefit is it for them to attend this Camp, other than maybe a few days of training?

I see the chatter about “its going to be hard for Penn State to keep Brandon Austin”. Sure makes me a little nervous.

I’m excited about these two guys. They seem very committed and could very well be the start of something big. My hope is that we can add to this class with another great player.

Looks like Brandon is due for a rankings bump, top 50?

Amen! We could use a top notch "scorer!"
GREAT opportunity for a player(s) to make an instant impact on a big stage!

[quote=“SAS, post:11, topic:3307”]Question for you Eric, and others.

I read that these players travel to the Pangos AA Camp for “exposure”. But why does BA and GT need exposure when they are verballed to PSU already? What benefit is it for them to attend this Camp, other than maybe a few days of training?

I see the chatter about “its going to be hard for Penn State to keep Brandon Austin”. Sure makes me a little nervous.[/quote]

The exposure can work both ways. These guys show off what they have and make other recruits want to come along and play with guys that are that talented. Plus, the more you get your name out there, the more that other opportunities open up (ie the prestige of being a 5-star recruit, McD’s AA game, summer camps like the Deron Williams skills academy, etc).

This is the main thing. Just because you verballed doesn’t mean you stop trying to improve your game.

Most inner-city kids are big on loyalty. These kids already chose PSU over much more prestigious offers when we were last place in the Big Ten.

It has been fun coming across a few tweets of disbelief of ‘why is Austin going to PSU’ and ‘they aren’t going to be able to hold on to him’. It’s all about changing the perception. And that’s why their (PSU) presence was a big deal for PSU basketball.

Until someone like Austin’s coach or family member says, “PSU will have a hard time holding on to him”, then don’t sweat it so much.

There’s video of yesterday out there, though I’m not about to wade through it

http://www.ihigh.com/westcoasthoops/broadcast_227700.html?silverlight=1

Austin had 4 points on 2-3 shooting, 1 steal and 1 assist in over 13 minutes

http://www.areacodesbasketball.com/2012/06/03/stanley-johnson-leads-white-team-in-pangos-top-30-game/

[quote="frats, post:15, topic:3307"]The exposure can work both ways. These guys show off what they have and make other recruits want to come along and play with guys that are that talented. Plus, the more you get your name out there, the more that other opportunities open up (ie the prestige of being a 5-star recruit, McD's AA game, summer camps like the Deron Williams skills academy, etc).[/quote]

This is the main thing. Just because you verballed doesn’t mean you stop trying to improve your game.

Most inner-city kids are big on loyalty. These kids already chose PSU over much more prestigious offers when we were last place in the Big Ten.

It has been fun coming across a few tweets of disbelief of ‘why is Austin going to PSU’ and ‘they aren’t going to be able to hold on to him’. It’s all about changing the perception. And that’s why their (PSU) presence was a big deal for PSU basketball.

I believe both players are firm with PSU!!! But, FWIW Shaler is not an inner school district.