Pac 10 to expand in 6 to 12 months?

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news;_ylt=ArXvIlS.o9lwSBEqBXdWYTfevbYF?slug=ap-pac-10expansion&prov=ap&type=lgns

I wonder how this will play out - surely they’d be looking for a title game. The speculation on this one seemingly centers around Colorado, Utah and BYU, as well as Texas. I wonder if the Big 12 is really just dead with all of this expansion going on (if CU leaves for the Pac-10, Mizzou leaves for the Big Ten). Maybe Texas to the Big Ten is not as far fetched as we think. Then again, maybe the Big 12 would just add TCU and SMU, and become even more Texas-centric than it already is.

Maybe that’s where Pitt is going

Yeah, the dominoes seem to work for the Pac10 and Big12.
I think the BigTen will take only one at this time. Probably Missouri. THEN wait on Notre Dame to go to 13/14 teams. NO hurry.
I don’t think the BigEast changes much. Crap + crap = double crap. They will still be a made for TV basketball league with every school hoping and dreaming to move to a real conference. They might add East Carolina for football.

It’s looking like Utah and BYU might be the call. Yes, Colorado and the Denver market are bigger than SLC and of course Texas is bigger than all of those (and then some) combined. But keeping true to how the Pac Ten is put together, each team has an in-state rival. Utah/BYU is a nice complement to what is already in place.

I’d be mildly surprised to see the Pac Ten go elsewhere.

Two Divisions

USC
UCLA
Arizona
Arizona State
Utah
BYU

Cal
Stanford
Oregon
Oregon State
Washington
Washington State

Yeah, but BYU is so unique. Does it fit the league profile?
From Wikipedia:
BYU students are required to adhere to an honor code, which mandates behavior in line with LDS teachings (e.g., academic honesty, adherence to dress and grooming standards, and abstinence from extramarital sex and from the consumption of drugs and alcohol). Approximately 97% of male BYU graduates have taken a two-year hiatus from their studies at some point to serve as Mormon missionaries, and 32% of BYU female graduates have been missionaries as well.

Why isn’t anybody courting Boise State? Im sure tey would jump at the opportunity to take football to the major conference level. If im not mistaken, their hoops isnt god awful. Heck, Id be for adding them to the B10.

Because it’s in Idaho.

Utah would make a lot of sense… after that, I’m not sure. BYU seems like the most logical just from a performance standpoint, but like was mentioned they really don’t fall in line with the rest of the league in terms of how the school itself is.

I have a hard time seeing a Big XII team leaving for the Pac-12 (?), so I’m not sure where else they might look that would both fit their profile and increase their audience.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:4, topic:819”]It’s looking like Utah and BYU might be the call. Yes, Colorado and the Denver market are bigger than SLC and of course Texas is bigger than all of those (and then some) combined. But keeping true to how the Pac Ten is put together, each team has an in-state rival. Utah/BYU is a nice complement to what is already in place.

Two Divisions

USC
UCLA
Arizona
Arizona State
Utah
BYU

Cal
Stanford
Oregon
Oregon State
Washington
Washington State[/quote]

If they are trying to keep a two schools per state thing going, I would see Colorado and Colorado State coming before Utah/BYU. Adding all 4 would not be a bad move. I think Colorado is the most likely to be invited, and the second invitation would be to even things out. Boise State? I don’t know - they already are an affiliate member in wrestling.

[quote=“tundra, post:5, topic:819”]Yeah, but BYU is so unique. Does it fit the league profile?
From Wikipedia:
BYU students are required to adhere to an honor code, which mandates behavior in line with LDS teachings (e.g., academic honesty, adherence to dress and grooming standards, and abstinence from extramarital sex and from the consumption of drugs and alcohol). Approximately 97% of male BYU graduates have taken a two-year hiatus from their studies at some point to serve as Mormon missionaries, and 32% of BYU female graduates have been missionaries as well.[/quote]

So what? If they are not invited I don’t think it will be because of their religious affiliation. It would be location, size or some academic difference. you know USC was started as a Methodist university. BYU was almost invited in the late 70s

[quote="tundra, post:5, topic:819"]Yeah, but BYU is so unique. Does it fit the league profile? From Wikipedia: BYU students are required to adhere to an honor code, which mandates behavior in line with LDS teachings (e.g., academic honesty, adherence to dress and grooming standards, and abstinence from extramarital sex and from the consumption of drugs and alcohol). Approximately 97% of male BYU graduates have taken a two-year hiatus from their studies at some point to serve as Mormon missionaries, and 32% of BYU female graduates have been missionaries as well.[/quote]

So what? If they are not invited I don’t think it will be because of their religious affiliation. It would be location, size or some academic difference. you know USC was started as a Methodist university. BYU was almost invited in the late 70s

You might want to re-think that, especially considering how liberal the Pac-10 universities are. Especially considering an invitation to the league require a unanimous vote from the conference. I’d guess the most likely scenario for the Pac-10 is Colorado and Utah.

[quote="tundra, post:5, topic:819"]Yeah, but BYU is so unique. Does it fit the league profile? From Wikipedia: BYU students are required to adhere to an honor code, which mandates behavior in line with LDS teachings (e.g., academic honesty, adherence to dress and grooming standards, and abstinence from extramarital sex and from the consumption of drugs and alcohol). Approximately 97% of male BYU graduates have taken a two-year hiatus from their studies at some point to serve as Mormon missionaries, and 32% of BYU female graduates have been missionaries as well.[/quote]

You might want to re-think that, especially considering how liberal the Pac-10 universities are. Especially considering an invitation to the league require a unanimous vote from the conference. I’d guess the most likely scenario for the Pac-10 is Colorado and Utah.

USC was a very conservative university for a long time, even into the 1990s. You are thinking mostly about Berkeley and nobody else in drawing your conclusion (I suppose Eugene also)

And if they are going to add CU-Boulder, I think they are sufficiently offsetting anyone that is perceived as too conservative

[quote="NittanyIllini, post:4, topic:819"]It's looking like Utah and BYU might be the call. Yes, Colorado and the Denver market are bigger than SLC and of course Texas is bigger than all of those (and then some) combined. But keeping true to how the Pac Ten is put together, each team has an in-state rival. Utah/BYU is a nice complement to what is already in place.

Two Divisions

USC
UCLA
Arizona
Arizona State
Utah
BYU

Cal
Stanford
Oregon
Oregon State
Washington
Washington State[/quote]

If they are trying to keep a two schools per state thing going, I would see Colorado and Colorado State coming before Utah/BYU. Adding all 4 would not be a bad move. I think Colorado is the most likely to be invited, and the second invitation would be to even things out. Boise State? I don’t know - they already are an affiliate member in wrestling.

UNLV and Nevada would also be a pretty good fit. UNLV is practically Eastern California.

I could see a UNLV/Colorado addition.

I think it will boil down to the following schools:

Utah
BYU
Colorado
UNLV
Nevada.

If you read between the lines, the PAC TEN commissioner is talking about starting a cable network. That would go against the “adding 2 schools from the same state” scenario.

That would boil it down to:

Utah OR BYU
Colorado
UNLV OR Nevada.

Couple of articles to ponder that would suggest that BYU is but a longshot for inclusion into the Pac Ten…

http://www.sltrib.com/utahutes/ci_14377991

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700009020/Expansion-talk-in-the-Pac-10-has-created-a-stir.html?pg=2

Together they suggest that Utah will be a likely target and that Colorado will join them. I sort of agree with this logic. It seems the whole BYU, conservative/religious vibe will preclude the Cougars from sniffing the Pac-Ten. Though the second article suggests that the Big 12 seek out BYU, which is an interesting thought. Though if Colorado moves West, I would think the Big 12 would look to add TCU first. Now if Mizzou jumps as well, then they could look to expand outside their footprint.

Colorado, and Boulder in particular, is a lot more in line with the Pac Ten culturally. And seeing that the Denver market is 16th in the nation (5th out West), it would probably be a smart move for the Pac Ten to add the Buffs and never have a second thought. And if I’m Colorado, it’s a no-brainer to begin with. I’ve been to Boulder many times and equate it with Eugene, Berkeley and Tucson a whole lot more than Norman, Lincoln and Waco.

Gotta think that Colorado and Utah are the clear first choice for expansion. I think Utah says yes without hesitation. If Colorado says no then the Pac10 has a big decision to make. Nevada fits the Pac10 template better than UNLV and BYU, but I don’t really know how many sports each school supports. As many sports as PSU supports, we still don’t support all of the B10 sports. Ice hockey being the most notable. I can’t imagine the UNLV has more than a handful of quality D1 programs. BYU probably has the best all around athletic program over Nevada and UNLV, but the academic and religious issues make them an unlikely fit.

Other than Colorado and Utah all of these schools have questions. But UNLV is not getting invited to the Pac-10, I could not see Stanford even considering that for 2 seconds