PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Pac 10/12 starting its own network

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/04/sports/04sandomir.html?ref=sports

Great deal for the 12 Pac with keeping full ownership of the network.

Surprised all big6 conferences don’t have deals like the Big10 and now the Pac10/12. Only a matter of time I suppose.

It’ll be interesting to see what kind of ratings they get with those 10/11pm ET games.

Not only the start times, but the west coast really doesn’t care about sports.

They will jump on board a winner, but you will not see the type of loyal fan base that you will with the BIG TEN, SEC, and BIG XII conferences.

[quote="Tom, post:4, topic:2359"]It'll be interesting to see what kind of ratings they get with those 10/11pm ET games.[/quote]

And the east coast doesn’t care about west coast sports.

[quote="Tom, post:4, topic:2359"]It'll be interesting to see what kind of ratings they get with those 10/11pm ET games.[/quote]

And the east coast doesn’t care about west coast sports.

True, but I think the east coast has sports fans, the west coast does not. With that in mind, I think that both the east and west coast would have the same interest in west coast sports, …which is luke warm.

San Diego can’t keep an NBA team. LA can’t keep and NFL team. Washington (Seattle) can’t seem to hold onto anything.

The Lakers win, celebrities show up, and it’s the place to be. Same with USC. When they start to lose, the house is empty. Sure, there is some come and go with east coast teams, but not near the extent of those west coast schools.

Michigan slumps, they pack the house. Penn State slumps, they pack the house. Ohio State slumps, they pack the house. USC drew less than 70K to a home game vs Oregon State this past season.

Yeah, but they also keep full ownership of all startup costs.

[quote="PSUdraw, post:2, topic:2359"]Great deal for the 12 Pac with keeping full ownership of the network.[/quote]

One of the drawbacks to being first is that the risks are unknown. I remember reading posts here criticizing Delaney for the BTN (I hope I’m not having kid-like false memories.) Now the numbers are better understood, so you can risk going it alone.

As someone whose livelihood depends on placing ads in front of eyeballs (and who would love to cut his own cord), I love this trend toward producer control of the content. MLB and NBA are already on my AppleTV. When the BTN cuts a deal with Apple, the dish on my roof gets disconnected.

We are coming closer to the a la carte channel menu that consumers want but the content controllers (cable, dish) don’t want to provide.

[quote="PSUdraw, post:2, topic:2359"]Great deal for the 12 Pac with keeping full ownership of the network.[/quote]

And the headaches of getting distribution. The BTN having Fox as an ally was huge, given that they put the network on a basic tier of DiecTV (owned by Newscorp at the time) from day 1.

FWIW, the hot rumor is that the Pac-12 is going to partner with Google/YouTube as a production partner for the network. Not idea if it has any validity.

Well, they partnered with Youtube for their basketball tournaments this past season…

People in the Northeast and Midwest are sit-down-watch-sports type folks when it comes to “taking part” in athletics. Part of it has to do with having six months of winter in parts, but also it’s the tradition of generations where “watching the game” is paramount to actually going outside and playing the game for a lot of people.

In the Southeast (where I live) and the West, where I’ve spent a boatload of time, it’s all about participating for a lot of kids and families over sitting at home and watching (save for SEC college football). Again, it has a lot to do with both climate in that kids can get out nearly year-round to enjoy playing the sport and aren’t sequestered to the couch for months on end.

They say that Atlanta is a bad pro sports town because unless you have a winner fans won’t come to see the team play. Quite the contrary. Atlanta is a great sports town…why…because every one and their kids are outside participating in sports all the time and not necessarily sitting on their couch at home watching it or parking their fannies in the seats at those overpriced venues. And this holds true for a lot of the West as well.

I think a Pac 10/12 channel would do OK. While they are more of the casual fan, they still have a deep seeded love for their schools and do follow sports other than just football. As for the SEC, it’s all about football. I’m not so sure if a channel like that could get the ratings for other sports. People aren’t as rabid about basketball down here outside of Kentucky and a few other pockets. For after football, the second favorite sport is Spring Football, followed closely by football recruiting. Though if the SEC channel would have the foresight of the Big Ten Network and produce their own series like “The Journey” or “Icons”, you could very well develop a viewership outside of just football.

New television deal for Pacific 12 Conference only furthers the lie that is college football by David Jones.

Dave also has some interesting comments about Desmond Howard and Jim Tressel. :slight_smile:

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:12, topic:2359”]People in the Northeast and Midwest are sit-down-watch-sports type folks when it comes to “taking part” in athletics. Part of it has to do with having six months of winter in parts, but also it’s the tradition of generations where “watching the game” is paramount to actually going outside and playing the game for a lot of people.

In the Southeast (where I live) and the West, where I’ve spent a boatload of time, it’s all about participating for a lot of kids and families over sitting at home and watching (save for SEC college football). Again, it has a lot to do with both climate in that kids can get out nearly year-round to enjoy playing the sport and aren’t sequestered to the couch for months on end.

They say that Atlanta is a bad pro sports town because unless you have a winner fans won’t come to see the team play. Quite the contrary. Atlanta is a great sports town…why…because every one and their kids are outside participating in sports all the time and not necessarily sitting on their couch at home watching it or parking their fannies in the seats at those overpriced venues. And this holds true for a lot of the West as well.

I think a Pac 10/12 channel would do OK. While they are more of the casual fan, they still have a deep seeded love for their schools and do follow sports other than just football. As for the SEC, it’s all about football. I’m not so sure if a channel like that could get the ratings for other sports. People aren’t as rabid about basketball down here outside of Kentucky and a few other pockets. For after football, the second favorite sport is Spring Football, followed closely by football recruiting. Though if the SEC channel would have the foresight of the Big Ten Network and produce their own series like “The Journey” or “Icons”, you could very well develop a viewership outside of just football.[/quote]

And while all true…if given the choice between a Pac 10 game and a Big Ten/SEC/Big 12 game…those same folks likely aren’t picking Pac 10.

And when the only games left on are the west coast games, those same folks will either be at a bar anyway, or falling asleep with the game on sometime before halftime.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:12, topic:2359”]People in the Northeast and Midwest are sit-down-watch-sports type folks when it comes to “taking part” in athletics. Part of it has to do with having six months of winter in parts, but also it’s the tradition of generations where “watching the game” is paramount to actually going outside and playing the game for a lot of people.

I think a Pac 10/12 channel would do OK. While they are more of the casual fan, they still have a deep seeded love for their schools and do follow sports other than just football. As for the SEC, it’s all about football. I’m not so sure if a channel like that could get the ratings for other sports. People aren’t as rabid about basketball down here outside of Kentucky and a few other pockets. For after football, the second favorite sport is Spring Football, followed closely by football recruiting. Though if the SEC channel would have the foresight of the Big Ten Network and produce their own series like “The Journey” or “Icons”, you could very well develop a viewership outside of just football.[/quote]

I lived for a while in SoCal. I didn’t see all that much Norman-Rockwell-type community participation in sports.

You did cement my original point, the west coast doesn’t follow sports (they don’t sit on couches and they don’t go to overpriced games). They are not as much fans as they are in the rest of the country.

One of the drawbacks to being first is that the risks are unknown. I remember reading posts here criticizing Delaney for the BTN (I hope I’m not having kid-like false memories.) Now the numbers are better understood, so you can risk going it alone.

As someone whose livelihood depends on placing ads in front of eyeballs (and who would love to cut his own cord), I love this trend toward producer control of the content. MLB and NBA are already on my AppleTV. When the BTN cuts a deal with Apple, the dish on my roof gets disconnected.

We are coming closer to the a la carte channel menu that consumers want but the content controllers (cable, dish) don’t want to provide.

And all of this continues to make the “big 4” networks more and more irrelevant.
People in the Northeast and Midwest are sit-down-watch-sports type folks when it comes to "taking part" in athletics. Part of it has to do with having six months of winter in parts, but also it's the tradition of generations where "watching the game" is paramount to actually going outside and playing the game for a lot of people.

I think a Pac 10/12 channel would do OK. While they are more of the casual fan, they still have a deep seeded love for their schools and do follow sports other than just football. As for the SEC, it’s all about football. I’m not so sure if a channel like that could get the ratings for other sports. People aren’t as rabid about basketball down here outside of Kentucky and a few other pockets. For after football, the second favorite sport is Spring Football, followed closely by football recruiting. Though if the SEC channel would have the foresight of the Big Ten Network and produce their own series like “The Journey” or “Icons”, you could very well develop a viewership outside of just football.

I lived for a while in SoCal. I didn’t see all that much Norman-Rockwell-type community participation in sports.

You did cement my original point, the west coast doesn’t follow sports (they don’t sit on couches and they don’t go to overpriced games). They are not as much fans as they are in the rest of the country.

Not all organized kids sports out West…lots of kids just outside playing or families hiking, biking, skiing, running, golfing, beaching…you name it, it’s very much the outdoor life. Thought about moving to Oregon once and going to work with friends at Nike. Beautiful country out there and everyone just lives the outdoor life. Just a bit too far away from home.