PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Pa. High School Hoops

Not surprising RC is ranked # 1 in AAAA.

Bullock’s PIAA Power Rankings: Dec. 14

http://www.cityofbasketballlove.com/news_article/show/589008?referrer_id=1566508

I really can’t wait for PA to go to 6 classes. Seeing my alma mater, Salisbury High School in Allentown, PA, get stuck in AAA bugs me.

They’ll be AAAA next year with an enrollment of 221. 218-219 is the cut off for AAA-AAAA Boys basketball.

[quote="rwd5035, post:2, topic:4614"]I really can't wait for PA to go to 6 classes. Seeing my alma mater, Salisbury High School in Allentown, PA, get stuck in AAA bugs me.[/quote]

They’ll be AAAA next year with an enrollment of 221. 218-219 is the cut off for AAA-AAAA Boys basketball.

That’s even crazier. I can’t speak to knowing Salisbury’s class numbers anymore, but I graduated with 149 in 2006. I’m not sure they’re over 220 or not, but when you consider just how large some of those AAAA schools are, it’s criminal to have a school as small as Salisbury competing potentially with Parkland in AAAA playoffs.

Um, you do realize that schools that are AAAA this year will be AAAAAA or AAAAA next year?

The largest enrollment for the new AAAA is Ben Franklin and Engin & Science with 320. So the AAAA class for boys basketball will cover enrollment from 219 to 320.

Parkland will by AAAAAA with an enrollment of 1256. 7th highest in the state.

6A: 504-1770
5A: 323-502
4A: 219-320
3A: 151-218
2A: 96-149
1A: 7-94

Current four tier structure
4A: 413-2138
3A: 135-411
2A; 112-234
1A; 9-125

I completely just fluffed in reading what you wrote and completely disregarded that they are going to 6 classes next year.

The best idea I had heard so far in regards to having private/Catholic schools in the classes…

The private/catholic schools should be considered entirely separately from the public schools. The private/catholic schools should then be distributed evenly among 1A to 6A based on their won enrollments, based solely on the comparative sizes of the private/catholic schools themselves.

They should then be combined among the public schools, who are rated separately from 1A to 6A, based on the public schools’ comparative enrollments.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:7, topic:4614”]The best idea I had heard so far in regards to having private/Catholic schools in the classes…

The private/catholic schools should be considered entirely separately from the public schools. The private/catholic schools should then be distributed evenly among 1A to 6A based on their won enrollments, based solely on the comparative sizes of the private/catholic schools themselves.

They should then be combined among the public schools, who are rated separately from 1A to 6A, based on the public schools’ comparative enrollments.[/quote]
The dominance of the Catholic schools wasn’t as stark this year as in years past… but I still am not sure how to make it “fair” when a private school can entice kids to come play football from across an area that encompasses multiple AAAA school districts and then go compete at a a AAA or lower level based on their enrollment (all the while providing reduced tuition for kids who can play football).

The best idea I had heard so far in regards to having private/Catholic schools in the classes.....

They should then be combined among the public schools, who are rated separately from 1A to 6A, based on the public schools’ comparative enrollments.

The dominance of the Catholic schools wasn’t as stark this year as in years past… but I still am not sure how to make it “fair” when a private school can entice kids to come play football from across an area that encompasses multiple AAAA school districts and then go compete at a a AAA or lower level based on their enrollment (all the while providing reduced tuition for kids who can play football).

They should use a relegation system regardless of enrollment. Successful programs move up. Unsuccessful programs drop.

How would they use relegation? Given the (1) fluidity of how HS sports tends to go and most of the programs trend up and down, and (2) the differences between districts in sports often times, it would seem weird to have a relegation system. At least imo.

I agree it would be a bit weird and maybe it doesn’t work. I picture something like the top X schools in a class move up (except in the highest class) and the bottom X move down (except in the lowest class). They could use the same ranking system they use to determine who makes district playoffs (or something along those lines). Sure there is graduation, etc. that impact programs. But if it’s that bad, they’ll be back down a year later.

Perhaps I wasn’t clear enough – this was meant for just the private schools, not public schools.

The best idea I had heard so far in regards to having private/Catholic schools in the classes.....

I don’t think it would make things “fair”, but I think it will make it “closer to fair”.

For example, a hoops team like Trinity, that competes with other public schools at AA because of enrollment size, may have to shift to AAA or AAAA (using this year’s classification system for simplicity), because of their size relative to other private schools.

There is not much that can be done about the top tier private schools that already dominate the upper tiers of AAAA.

Bullock’s PIAA Power Rankings: Jan. 4

http://www.cityofbasketballlove.com/news_article/show/595068?referrer_id=1566508

Big game on Wednesday!

Rick O'Brien (@ozoneinq)

1/4/16, 12:03 PM
No tickets will be sold at door for Wednesday’s PCL hoops clash between Roman and host Neumann-Goretti. Presold tickets only. #SoldOut

Roman, Neumann meeting in “big” PCL clash

http://www.cityofbasketballlove.com/news_article/show/595938?referrer_id=1566508

SFBN (@The_SFBN)

1/6/16, 9:47 AM
Boys Bball Matchup of the year tonight on #SFBN - @RomanAthletics vs @SaintsofNG at 7pm! Watch LIVE FOR FREE at TheSFBN.com!

Pittsburgh’s Petersen Events Center one of four bids to host PIAA basketball championships - PennLive.com

BJC one of four bids to host PIAA basketball championships! ;D :wink:

PIAA Board of Directors to name host venue for basketball championships on Wednesday

SWEET !!! (…no pun intended :wink: …)

I live in the Harrisburg area and love going to the District 3 and PIAA state playoff games.