Our take on this team

We’re probably a little over one quarter of the way through the season (counting tournament games). What does everyone think of the team so far? Here is my assessment of where the team is now and where I think we’ll be at the end of the season.

1. Clearly, this is Ed’s most talented, athletic, and deepest team since he’s been here.

2. Disappointed that Andrew Jones hasn’t stepped up and played better. I thought he would pick up some of the slack from Cornley’s departure. He’s had some flashes, but hasn’t been consistent. DJ is solid. He’ll never be spectacular but he’ll be solid all year long.

3. Jeff Brooks has been better, but he’s got a long way to go to realize his potential. Hopefully, that amazing dunk from last night will ignite him and give him the confidence to play up to his potential.

4. From what I’ve seen, Tim Frazier has the ability be a big time player. He and Talor are still getting used to each other.

5. Bill Edwards has been a real surprise - and he’s not healthy and he’s not in complete game shape yet.

6. Other teams appear to have decided that if they can stop Talor, they can win. That means the other guys have to step up when Talor is doubled teamed.

7. This team is best when it runs. The key to being able to run is to stop the other team - i.e. play tough defense and rebound.

8. Assuming everyone stays healthy, I think this team will be much better by the end of the year.

9. Our one significant improvement over last year (other than depth) is foul shooting.

10. Looks like just about everyone else in the Big Ten is better this year (except maybe Iowa and MSU), so its going to be tough to improve on last year’s record.

11. Getting to the NCAA tournament this year will be a challenge. The fact that the Big Ten won the Big Ten/ACC challenge this year will help Big Ten bubble teams.

12. I’m hoping we can win 20 this year and get ready for a good run next year when we’ll have a very veteran and even more athletic team.

What do you guys think?

1. Jeff Brooks–where the hell did this come from? Dare I say it–he’s been Penn State’s most consistent big man, and it’s been a complete 180 from a year ago. He’s crashing the boards and creating offensive opportunities, not shooting up too many three balls, and using his spectacular athletic ability on both sides of the ball. He’s gone from lost on the court to our second best player, and the lapses just aren’t there.

2. Andrew Jones–the complete opposite. He benefitted last year from having Cornley down there in the low post with him, but Jones has been flat out awful this year. He’s messing up easy plays, dropping passes underneath the hoop, and missing lay-ups. Defensively, he’s been slow getting back after a switch, and though he’s averaging 6 and 6, it’s been very quiet. He needs to step up like he did in the NIT.

3. Bill Edwards–it’s funny, Bill might have the best basketball knowledge and court sense on the team, but he tends to try and do too much. With the knee injury, he’s a step slow on defense, and shoots a little more than I’d like, especially for a 36% shooter, but he’s got the confidence to really step up once he’s at 100%. Very impressive debut.

I’ll bite.

1. I won’t address the word “athletic” - too many different meanings to too many different people. I will replace athlete with "good basketball player(s)

2. Disagree… last years team was Ed’s best team and clearly had the best basketball players (Mel, Stan and Danny) compared to Freshman Frazier and Edwards NOT EVEN CLOSE. I will not address the 10, 11 or 12 men. They will not make a difference this season. We ARE comparing THIS season to last.

3. DJ and Andrew are playing to my expectations of them and there abitlties

4. Agree

5. Yes, he will in the future

6. Agree

7. Agree

8. Agree

9. Agree.the team will be better at season’s end than they are now

10. Agree…so far

11. Agree

12. Agree

13. Agree

The thing is the Big 10 could be 20 percent better, but that doesn’t mean our record will only be 20 percent worse if we match last year’s capabilities. The difference between winning and losing for us is pretty fine – so a big jump could mean an bigger corresponding drop in our record.

It doesn’t help matters that the two teams that we only face once, Indiana and Iowa, are the two teams that we are probably most likely to beat. Penn State easily has the most difficult in conference schedule of any of the Big Ten schools.

Think of it this way. Most teams in the top half of the league will face Penn State, Iowa, and Indiana (the consensus three teams at the bottom of the conference) 5-6 times . That’s five or six pretty good shots at a win. Penn State only has two games against that level of competition.

[quote="tjb, post:4, topic:453"]The thing is the Big 10 could be 20 percent better, but that doesn't mean our record will only be 20 percent worse if we match last year's capabilities. The difference between winning and losing for us is pretty fine -- so a big jump could mean an bigger corresponding drop in our record.[/quote]

It doesn’t help matters that the two teams that we only face once, Indiana and Iowa, are the two teams that we are probably most likely to beat. Penn State easily has the most difficult in conference schedule of any of the Big Ten schools.

Think of it this way. Most teams in the top half of the league will face Penn State, Iowa, and Indiana (the consensus three teams at the bottom of the conference) 5-6 times . That’s five or six pretty good shots at a win. Penn State only has two games against that level of competition.

Just to follow up on the specifics. Here’s the actual number for each school in the conference.

Games against projected bottom three (PSU, Iowa, Indiana).

Purdue - 6
Ohio State - 6
Illinois - 6
Minnesota - 6
Northwestern - 6
Michigan St - 5
Wisconsin - 5
Michigan - 5
Indiana - 3
Iowa - 3
Penn State - 2

[quote=“Great Santini, post:1, topic:453”]We’re probably a little over one quarter of the way through the season (counting tournament games). What does everyone think of the team so far? Here is my assessment of where the team is now and where I think we’ll be at the end of the season.

1. Clearly, this is Ed’s most talented, athletic, and deepest team since he’s been here. - Based on what? Not much talent at the forward positions IMO. Edwards could be good in a year or two and its way too early to comment on Borovnjak. I don’t think that we’re particularly talented or deep at that position.

2. Disappointed that Andrew Jones hasn’t stepped up and played better. I thought he would pick up some of the slack from Cornley’s departure. - Never thought that he would be a Cornley replacement, but I hoped to 10 points, 7+ rebounds, and a little bit of defense against guys driving the lane. He hasn’t been able to do that.

DJ is solid. He’ll never be spectacular but he’ll be solid all year long. - Agree that DJ is solid. He would be a good 6th man for a good B10 team.

1. Jeff Brooks has been better, but he’s got a long way to go to realize his potential. Hopefully, that amazing dunk from last night will ignite him and give him the confidence to play up to his potential.

2. From what I’ve seen, Tim Frazier has the ability be a big time player. He and Talor are still getting used to each other. - Agree about Frazier, but he needs to improve his shooting & confidence. He passes on some wide open shots and that’s hurting us right now.

3. Bill Edwards has been a real surprise - and he’s not healthy and he’s not in complete game shape yet. - He’s they only forward who can take the ball to the hoop. He plays with the discipline of a freshman, but agree that he could have a great future at PSU.

4. Other teams appear to have decided that if they can stop Talor, they can win. That means the other guys have to step up when Talor is doubled teamed. - Yep

5. This team is best when it runs. The key to being able to run is to stop the other team - i.e. play tough defense and rebound. - Agree. Battle and Frazier are very good in the open court. Problem is rebounding. Our PGs are our best rebounders and that’s not a good way to start a fast break.

6. Assuming everyone stays healthy, I think this team will be much better by the end of the year. - I hope so, but we’ll be lucky to win 6 games in the B10 this year.

7. Our one significant improvement over last year (other than depth) is foul shooting. - Too early to say.

8. Looks like just about everyone else in the Big Ten is better this year (except maybe Iowa and MSU), so its going to be tough to improve on last year’s record. - Like I said, 6-12 would be great for this team. No chance at 10-8!

9. Getting to the NCAA tournament this year will be a challenge. The fact that the Big Ten won the Big Ten/ACC challenge this year will help Big Ten bubble teams. - PSU will have difficulty qualifying for the NIT this year.

10. I’m hoping we can win 20 this year and get ready for a good run next year when we’ll have a very veteran and even more athletic team. - Need to beat Va Tech to go 9-3 OOC. 6-12 in conference is best case. I’ll say 5-13 and a 14-16 overall record. Maybe Babb, Woodyard, or Frazier will start to shoot better from the perimeter, but I don’t see anybody with the potential to play with the big men in conference play.

What do you guys think?[/quote]

Lar so what you are saying is we have the toughest schedule in the conference and when we go 11-7 we should be pretty happy.

Don’t really disagree with what’s been said. What I’d like to see is Brooks take his newfound game to higher levels, especially in crunch time. In all of our close games so far, he’s disappeared at the end of the game. He’s showing that he has the ability, but we need someone other than Talor who wants the ball and who can perform when the game is on the line.