PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Our offense

Re the conversation the other day about posting up/not posting up and our offense, I looked in motion offenses, and they said something along the lines of this…

There are no set rules. Spacing is important. Some of the options for the passer are; pass and pick away, pass and pick for the receiver, pass and cut, pass and V cut. Coaches like this as they can spend their time on other things, rather than set plays. It requires good picks, good cuts, good passes, good spacing.
So, when we discuss and say “it’s not our offense to post up”, this is only partly true. If you played baseball, hockey, soccer, and you told players they could play where they want, it kind of assumes everyone is going to play in a position that’s needed. You’re not going to play baseball with no second baseman, nor would you play hockey without a goalie, or football without a center. IMO, this is why Ed said last year, “we’re having trouble getting anyone to post up.” It’s not a fixed requirement, it’s an option. If there are 10 spots on the floor to go to, 1 isn’t being used by any/many. IMO, it ain’t working. Jamelle wanted to do it, so he did. On this team, nobody wants to do it. IMO, Ed has to force it. Just because guys are more comfortable at other spots, that doesn’t mean as a coach you allow that. Can’t allow the inmates to run the asylum. IMO, this is a big shortcoming in Ed. His response to poor halfcourt performance is to run more. Okay, run more, but that doesn’t mean you abandon solid halfcourt play. He’s stuck in an offense that is not getting him the positions that he wants. How can he let this continue? IMO, there’s a big risk this VTech game is a replay of Ole Miss/MD games, i.e., run and chuck and have Talor drive.

George Mikan used to post up all the time. He was never away from the basket. Did you know that Mikan was second in the NBA in rebounding in 1950-1951? You know who beat him out, Dolph Schayes of Syracuse. Now, the Syracuse Orange has Branton Triche who played in high school against Kemba Walker, whose team lost to Edgar Sosa’s team that lost to Bishop Maginn in the federation playoffs in Glens Falls. That Maginn team had Taran Buie on it, and he completely took Sosa out of the game. And some people now think that Walker has a better chance to make the NBA than Buie or Battle. NFW.

:wink:

(just having a little fun to get me through a Friday)

[quote=“frats, post:2, topic:1625”]George Mikan used to post up all the time. He was never away from the basket. Did you know that Mikan was second in the NBA in rebounding in 1950-1951? You know who beat him out, Dolph Schayes of Syracuse. Now, the Syracuse Orange has Branton Triche who played in high school against Kemba Walker, whose team lost to Edgar Sosa’s team that lost to Bishop Maginn in the federation playoffs in Glens Falls. That Maginn team had Taran Buie on it, and he completely took Sosa out of the game. And some people now think that Walker has a better chance to make the NBA than Buie or Battle. NFW.

:wink:

(just having a little fun to get me through a Friday)[/quote]

I’ll admit you had me confused until I realize what you were doing. :smiley: