PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Our Next Coach

…possibly for a short time anyway.

Maybe Ed could persuade him into Gene Keady’s role.

If nothing else, we’d have to be pretty close to a record for oldest combined age of basketball and football coach (154).

If it happened could we bet on who would retire first? Brown or JoePa?

I would not want him as our coach. We see in football that other school use JoePa’s age against the team saying you shouldn’t go there because you don’t know how much longer he’ll have before retiring and then things will change. They would try that same tactic with Larry Brown. It’s hard enough as it is to recruit kids to come here for basketball.

You’re right. Being guaranteed 4 years of playing under Dechellis is much better than two years under Larry Brown.

Given the current “state of affairs”, who can make that guarantee? Furthermore, who would believe it? Successful coaches move on as often as unsuccessful ones.

That’s not the point. Going along with your scenario Larry Brown is able to coach a kid for 2 of his college seasons. Then there is uncertainty who his next coach may be. He may not not fit into his system and not be able to showcase his abilities. A kid wants to have confidence that who he starts with is who he’ll have when he graduates. Having an older coach can be a liability.

bball, I know what the point is, I don’t need it pointed out to me. You seemed to miss the point of my post as well. What my post was inferring is ED is most likely not going to have the same caliber of athletes interested in playing for him as Larry Brown would. Larry would at least get our foot in the door - might he lose out to some recruits because of his age? Yes, he probably would, but he won’t bat 0%.

As much as coaches may use Larry’s age against him in recruiting battles, there are PLENTY of things that coaches can use against ED in recruiting battles that don’t involve his age.

[quote=“bballguy, post:8, topic:1815”]That’s not the point. Going along with your scenario Larry Brown is able to coach a kid for 2 of his college seasons. Then there is uncertainty who his next coach may be. He may not not fit into his system and not be able to showcase his abilities. A kid wants to have confidence that who he starts with is who he’ll have when he graduates. Having an older coach can be a liability.[/quote]So you think all 4 of our recruits coming in next year really believe Ed will be there with them all 4 years ? ::slight_smile:

He just needs to recruit 5 guys who know they’ll be in the NBA before Larry leaves :wink:

[quote="bballguy, post:8, topic:1815"]That's not the point. Going along with your scenario Larry Brown is able to coach a kid for 2 of his college seasons. Then there is uncertainty who his next coach may be. He may not not fit into his system and not be able to showcase his abilities. A kid wants to have confidence that who he starts with is who he'll have when he graduates. Having an older coach can be a liability.[/quote]So you think all 4 of our recruits coming in next year really believe Ed will be there with them all 4 years ? ::)

Frankly the way the team is playing he definitely could be here for all 4 of their years.

[quote="bballguy, post:8, topic:1815"]That's not the point. Going along with your scenario Larry Brown is able to coach a kid for 2 of his college seasons. Then there is uncertainty who his next coach may be. He may not not fit into his system and not be able to showcase his abilities. A kid wants to have confidence that who he starts with is who he'll have when he graduates. Having an older coach can be a liability.[/quote]So you think all 4 of our recruits coming in next year really believe Ed will be there with them all 4 years ? ::)

Frankly the way the team is playing he definitely could be here for all 4 of their years.

haha ok love the optimsim but we’ll have to wait and see about that. there’s a chance they may not even get one year of him

Allen Iverson’s kids won’t play for him. “You’re talking about practice!”

As a player Larry Brown (very smooth guard) was one of my ABA favorites…as a coach…NOT.

I didn’t know we needed another coach?

Unlike football, there is a sense here the some day we may indeed need a new basketball coach. :slight_smile:

“Penn State, where being competitive is enough to keep your job.” :wink:

[quote="bballguy, post:12, topic:1815"]Frankly the way the team is playing he definitely could be here for all 4 of their years.[/quote]

ED is not going anywhere. He and TC are tight. ED is good for the balance of the contract…at least.

[quote="bballguy, post:12, topic:1815"]Frankly the way the team is playing he definitely could be here for all 4 of their years.[/quote]

ED is not going anywhere. He and TC are tight. ED is good for the balance of the contract…at least.

I wouldn’t be so sure of that. If he can’t get a group of seniors above .500 in the b10 and to the dance…what BS reason can Curley spew out next offseason ?