PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Ouch

http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2011/02/worst_to_first_ranking_the_are.html

from today’s Patriot News

I wonder if this meme - from Jones to BWI to ESPN - started with the kvetching here. We’re small but influential :).

[quote=“tjb, post:2, topic:1963”]I wonder if this meme - from Jones to BWI to ESPN - started with the kvetching here. We’re small but influential :).[/quote]I just hope people print these out and mail them to TC. Im sure it will never make it into his hands but at least it will give his Sec more paper to shred.

The rumblings that started here have started to get the ball rolling. I’m certain Jones and O’Neil’s articles have not gone unnoticed by the AD.

I’ll listen for any possible basketball remodeling projects that might be out for bid this summer.

For all the talk of whining on this board, I think the whining about our facilities is what’s most annoying me lately. Smaller, crappier buildings are never seen as being poor facilities so long as the team is winning… they are supreme home-court advantages then, with lots of “character” and history… if Duke were to go into the tank for the next 30 years, they’d tear down Cameron citing how outdated a building it is and how it’s holding the program back.

The grass is always greener I guess.

I’ve not been to The Pete or Temple’s facility, but they really do look great. IMO, politics/government has a lot to do with the way things turned out. Penn State got the money first, and in rural PA I think there was a lot of concern about making sense for the taxpayer, appropriate government spending, etc. The facility was multi-purpose and run like a business, etc.

Pitt and Temple got their money later, and no matter what the state government perspective is (liberal or conservative), these big public works projects involve a lot of backroom negotiating. The Democrats in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia were going to have no trouble defending an obscene amount of spending without a lot of worry about the return. So Temple and Pitt spent more for smaller arenas that are more specific to the basketball purpose.

I’m a Democrat, obviously, a Keynesian, so I have no philosophical problem with what happened in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, but I understand the more conservative point of view. Under penalty of torture I would not swear that I knew which approach was right/better.

The BJC is fine. It is a good venue when it has a large amount of people. The aux. gym is excellent. The facility is NOT the problem PSU hoops have stunk!
PSU management is the problem with the poor basketball program - - - - - - Why does everybody (many on this board anyway) try to deflect the blame!

[quote=“tundra, post:7, topic:1963”]The BJC is fine. It is a good venue when it has a large amount of people. The aux. gym is excellent. The facility is NOT the problem PSU hoops have stunk!
PSU management is the problem with the poor basketball program - - - - - - Why does everybody (many on this board anyway) try to deflect the blame!
[/quote]I agree with all you said but the BJC itselft doesn’t help. Even when crowded still not a great basketball venue. Great for concerts,thon, and monster trucks but not a great bball arena.

[quote="tundra, post:7, topic:1963"]The BJC is fine. It is a good venue when it has a large amount of people. The aux. gym is excellent. The facility is [b]NOT[/b] the problem PSU hoops have stunk! PSU management is the problem with the poor basketball program - - - - - - Why does everybody (many on this board anyway) try to deflect the blame![/quote]I agree with all you said but the BJC itselft doesn't help. Even when crowded still not a great basketball venue. Great for concerts,thon, and monster trucks but not a great bball arena.
unlike the Carrier dome, right?

I understand that that is just an opinion, but it takes a pretty negative slant on life to see it this way. When I’ve been there and it’s packed, it rocked. Could it be better? Sure, but no need to feel down at all about the place.

I have been to the Temple Licaurous center several times, a whole lot smaller than you would think. Nice arena in general as obviously built for BBall only but nothing special.

BJC could use a couple of tweaks to make it a better BBall arena that if PSU had a good team, could easily be made. There is obviously too much room with no seats on the four corners going into the locker rooms. I think that something could be worked out to put some temporary seats in a portion of that large area but it would take a little thought and money and what is the point in doing it when there are 5,000 other empty seats every game. The BJC isn’t the issue with bad BBall at PSU. It is a generally modern 12,000+ seat arena with all the amenities.

And the object of PSU should be to schedule the hell out of it as it is a huge asset to just sit there and do nothing. The issue is with the AD and lack of foresight in understanding that the BJC is going to have other events in it and lack of a proper plan to deal with practice facilities when it is being used. I can’t believe that over the past decade when gigantic amounts of building were springing up everywhere that PSU could not have put in essentially another IM type building for student and club sports while at the same time adding on a nice practice court specifically for the BBall teams when the BJC is in use. A good AD would have had that in the plans knowing that the BJC is about thing more than BBall and to be honest, PSU needs another IM building for the students as that thing is really old.

[quote="battlesway2, post:8, topic:1963"]but the BJC itselft doesn't help. Even when crowded still not a great basketball venue. Great for concerts,thon, and monster trucks but not a great bball arena.[/quote]

I understand that that is just an opinion, but it takes a pretty negative slant on life to see it this way. When I’ve been there and it’s packed, it rocked. Could it be better? Sure, but no need to feel down at all about the place.

Was waiting for that :wink:

[quote="battlesway2, post:8, topic:1963"]but the BJC itselft doesn't help. Even when crowded still not a great basketball venue. Great for concerts,thon, and monster trucks but not a great bball arena.[/quote]

How often is that? I’ve always felt the place was to big. Even when PSU is good they aren’t going to fill that place night in night out(yes i know we got some big crowds the 1st year it opened ). I’ve been fortunate enough to see some of the other b10 arenas that are true basketball arenas and just wish we could have a homecourt advantage like that. The BJC itself is a very nice building I just don’t think its a great basketball venue especially for a team with the history of PSU.

I really liked the Liacouras Center. Great on campus place to play basketball. Not a bad seat in the house.

No one has mentioned having a problem in opening this Dave Jones article. I can only get to the teaser lead in, but when I click on full story, I get a blank page. I have gone into internet options and on the privacy tab lowered the scale to the very bottom and turned the pop up blocker off. I never had an issue with pulling up articles from Penn-Live, however this is a new computer that I just picked up 10 days ago.

I am having the same problem. Tried different browsers and both gave me the same trouble

How often is that? I’ve always felt the place was to big. Even when PSU is good they aren’t going to fill that place night in night out(yes i know we got some big crowds the 1st year it opened ). I’ve been fortunate enough to see some of the other b10 arenas that are true basketball arenas and just wish we could have a homecourt advantage like that. The BJC itself is a very nice building I just don’t think its a great basketball venue especially for a team with the history of PSU.

I do think a 12k hoops only arena would be ideal, not saying that. The BJC is cavernous when it is less than 2/3 full. I think it would fill regularly if we were consistent Big 10 contenders.

No one has mentioned having a problem in opening this Dave Jones article. I can only get to the teaser lead in, but when I click on full story, I get a blank page. I have gone into internet options and on the privacy tab lowered the scale to the very bottom and turned the pop up blocker off. I never had an issue with pulling up articles from Penn-Live, however this is a new computer that I just picked up 10 days ago.

I am having the same problem. Tried different browsers and both gave me the same trouble

Something’s wrong with it. I saw the whole thing yesterday, although I did not use the link here (it may be the same, just clicked in from somewhere else so can’t be sure).

Works for me… unless the article goes beyond the countdown of venues.

I do think a 12k hoops only arena would be ideal, not saying that. The BJC is cavernous when it is less than 2/3 full. I think it would fill regularly if we were consistent Big 10 contenders.

We could have an “on the bubble team” when the Buckeyes come into town and it will be senior night and the farewell of mabye the most popular player in PSU history. I bet you will get around 10 K if that.Its just the way it is…