OT's GONE WILD!

The Center for Ancient Astronaut Research objects.

giorgiofeat__span

Reading comments is always an interesting exercise. smh

8,599 votes and 540 comments so far on Reddit

This was fascinating - how we see color, depending on where we’re from and what language we speak.

Not the brightest tool here.

Man Stuff - 😳😳😁

Not sure where to post this, but the article was a great read for a casual chess player… this looks like it could get interesting once you dig into the details

Reads like an Onion headline

Not for the faint-hearted…

Scientists have been working for more than a century to understand how racism operates—and how it might be cured. The notion that biases can be identified and overcome connects with early theories about how racism manifests in the brain. From the 1920s to the 1950s, psychologists studying racism considered prejudice to be a psychopathology—“a dangerous aberration from normal thinking,” writes John Dovidio, a Yale University psychology professor, in the Journal of Social Issues . Psychologists employed personality tests to identify prejudiced people, with the hope of understanding how to treat them with psychotherapy, under the assumption that “if the problem, like a cancerous tumor, can be identified and removed or treated, the problem will be contained, and the rest of the system will be healthy.”

By the 1970s, however, psychologists had developed a new theory. An individual’s personality, character traits, and beliefs were predominantly influenced by the place in which she grew up and the people she was surrounded by—“nurture,” in other words, not “nature.” Racial prejudice was a societal ill, something learned through a lifetime of conditioning and exposure to hateful ideas—and therefore “normal”—and not a disorder that could be treated medically in any one individual.

Studies over the past two decades, however, have both clarified and complicated these ideas. Scientists now recognize that we are influenced by both our genes and our environments—the forces of nature and nurture work in tandem. On the one hand, stereotypes and prejudices are not innate. Racism is not simply an evolutionary reaction to an inherent human predisposition to be “tribal.” But there is a biological component to hatred and racism, which interacts with environmental factors. Studies show that growing up around people who espouse racist views—or even simply in an environment that lacks diversity—can contribute significantly to how a person interprets race.

“Our brains have evolved to be really sensitive to differences in our environments, to novel things,” said Jeni Kubota, a psychologist at the Center for the Study of Race, Politics, and Culture at the University of Chicago. “Those systems, because of the culture, have co-opted the processing of race.” The brain categorizes people very quickly—friend or foe, threat or non-threat—based on information it has learned, and if the brain makes its assessment using biased information, the results will reflect that bias. “Unfortunately, that leads to horrible inaccuracies and in some cases life-and-death consequences,” Kubota said. “So the system that’s really efficient in processing a lot of information can also lead to a lot of harm.”

I’m not sure if I mentioned this Netflix special on here before or not (I intended to but may not have gotten around to it).

Derren Brown has done some pretty controversial specials before (getting someone actually attempt to murder another individual for example) and there are those that wonder how real his specials are, but he swears this was real and most people seem to believe him (I was skeptical but am coming around to the thought).

In it, Brown attempts to get a racist to take a bullet for an illegal Mexican immigrant.

I remember when Kim covered PSU hoops for the CDT. I’m glad she is doing well after her health scare and surgery.

The United States of Wonder

https://vannizhang.github.io/wonder/

http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2018/12/race-discrimination-nba-alas-long-suspected.html

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/photography/contests/photo-contest-2018/gallery/winners-all/1/