PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: Wrestling team

There were a couple of mentions of the wrestling team in the Purdue IGT. I wanted to give tjb et al an update on how the squad is doing but not clutter up the IGT any more.

After tying #1 ranked Cornell in the Southern Scuffle, PSU moved up into a tie for #1 with them in the national rankings. Neither team had a full line-up at the Scuffle, so it will be interesting to see how things play out in Philly for the NCAA championships in March (both teams were missing two key kids in their lineups but the consensus opinion seems to be that the missing PSU kids have a better chance of scoring at the NCAAs).

While there are some freshmen redshirting, most of the stud wrestlers in the last two classes are taking the mats. Personally, I’d say the last two classes had four UncleLar All-World wrestlers in them, specifically true freshman twins Dylan and Andrew Alton and redshirt freshman David Taylor and Ed Ruth. The Altons and Taylor are Sanderson recruits, Ruth was already committed to PSU before Sanderson took the job.

Barring injuries, here’s what our expected NCAA lineup will probably be (# = national ranking):

125 #11 Sr Brad Pataky 7-2 (just returned from a preseason injury - should climb higher in the rankings
133 #8 So Andrew Long (NCAA runner up transfer from Ia State - just became eligible and should climb higher in the rankings)
141 #5 Fr Andrew Alton 22-2 (his two losses are both by one point to the #1 ranked wrestler, he is a pinning machine and could win the Schalles Award given to the countries best pinner)
149 #6 Jr Frank Molinaro 17-2 (two time All American)
157 #2 RS Fr David Taylor 23-0 (has dominated everyone at the weight - has the potential to go undefeated in college like his long time mentor Cael Sanderson)
165 #33 RS Fr Jake Kemerer 12-6 or So Nick Fischer 13-7 (a weak weight for us)
174 #2 RS Fr Ed Ruth 21-1 (an absolute stud, defeated the previous #1 and #2 ranked wrestlers at the Southern Scuffle)
184 #8 RS So Quentin Wright 8-2 (placed 6th at the NCAAs as a true freshman two years ago, has been injured, will return to the lineup tomorrow).
197 Fr Nick Ruggear 13-6 or So Justin Ortega 4-8 (very weak weight, probably the only one where we won’t have an NCAA qualifier)
285 #7 Jr Cameron Wade 19-3 (has the potential to place at the NCAAs)

Sanderson’s kids are: Long, Alton, Taylor, Kemerer, Ruggear
Sunderland’s kids are: Pataky, Molinaro, Ruth, Wright, Wade.

The studs of the group are the UL All-World freshman Alton, Taylor, and Ruth who are a combined 66-3. As noted, two of the three losses are by one point to the #1 ranked wrestler. Each of these kids has NCAA champion potential as freshman.

And as good as this team is, it could be even better, perhaps much better, next year.

The only wrestler we lose is Sr Brad Pataky and there are two replacements waiting in the wings. True freshman Frank Martellotti went 18-3 while filling in for Pataky and was 6th ranked but didn’t hit the books with as much intensity and is ineligible for the rest of the season. Scheduled to join the team next year is another UL All-World wrestler in Nico Megaludis. Nico just became only the third wrestler to ever win four Powerade national titles last weekend. His career record is 137-1 and he has a 105 match winning streak going. In the spring he will be looking to win his fourth PIAA championship. He is the #1 ranked HS wrestler at 125.

Freshman Andrew Alton’s twin brother Dylan is redshirting this season. The challenge for him next year will be finding a spot in the lineup for him. He will be battling senior to be Frank Molinaro for the 149 lb spot.

True Freshman 165 lber Dirk Cowburn is redshirted. He is 16-2 wrestling in open tournaments this fall and has been rumored to be beating RS Fr Jake Kemerer in practice. Some people have been calling for Cael to burn Cowburn’s redshirt in order to make a run for the championship in Philly.

The current hole at 197 will likely be plugged by another UL All-World wrestler in Morgan McIntosh. Morgan is currently the nationally #1 ranked HS wrestler at 189 lbs and was designated the #1 upper weight recruit in the country by Open Mat. He will be looking to claim his third California state crown in the spring.

Both the near and far futures look very, very bright for this team. Of course, it helps that PA is such a hotbed for wrestling. Of the six superstuds that will be on the team next year, four of them - both Altons, Megaludis, and Ruth are PA products. Other PA kids that have the potential to be major contributors either this year or next are Martellotti, Pataky, Kemerer, Cowburn, and Wright.

Excellent overview, Lar. I watched the Virginia Duals final vs. Michigan on ustream.com and Pataky injured his leg again, but gutted it out. He needs to stay healthy with Martellotti ineligible. Hopefully after the two week layoff he’s ready to go.

Wrestling is the hot ticket now. A Sold Out Rec Hall for wrestling (and in the past basketball) is an experience.

Thanks, Lar! Do we get any Big Ten matches on BTN?

Tomorrow. Live vs Pitt at 6pm.

1/30 Iowa at PSU tape delay 1/31 9 pm
2/13 PSU at Minn tape delay 2/14 9 pm

Three others on bigtennetwork.com

Jan 23 Penn State at Indiana 1 PM
Feb 11 Illinois at Penn State 7 PM
Feb 18 Wisconsin at Penn St 7 PM

[quote="tjb, post:3, topic:1810"]Thanks, Lar! Do we get any Big Ten matches on BTN?[/quote]

Tomorrow. Live vs Pitt at 6pm.

1/30 Iowa at PSU tape delay 1/31 9 pm
2/13 PSU at Minn tape delay 2/14 9 pm

Three others on bigtennetwork.com

Jan 23 Penn State at Indiana 1 PM
Feb 11 Illinois at Penn State 7 PM
Feb 18 Wisconsin at Penn St 7 PM

Bummed that Iowa match won’t be live.

Good grief, it was the promo for the Pitt match that triggered my original question. Mind like a steel trap.

Lehigh just defeated Cornell 17-15 minutes ago. That will give us sole possession of #1 in the next poll.

Great article on David Taylor:

[size=12pt]Penn State freshman David Taylor taking college wrestling world by storm[/size]

[quote=“UncleLar, post:8, topic:1810”]Great article on David Taylor:

[size=12pt]Penn State freshman David Taylor taking college wrestling world by storm[/size][/quote]

From the article:

“When David first came to Penn State, he was getting thumped by some people in the room on a regular basis,” Sanderson said.

As evidence, here’s a video I took at the intrasquad match at the beginning of last season.

Sanderson manhandles Taylor

Taylor is 23-0 and ranked No. 2 nationally at 157 pounds for the Nittany Lions. He’s been destroying the competition. He’s scored bonus points in 22 of his 23 matches. He’s won six matches by fall, nine by technical fall and seven by major decision.

His closest match was a 9-3 win over Virginia Tech’s Jesse Dong, who has been ranked as high as No. 5 nationally.

What are the credentials of the guy ranked #1?

BTW… It’s amazing to see him wrestling at 157 this year and 163 last year as the article states. Some on this forum argued that he definitely would not be at that weight. He would be near his 135 like high school.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:10, topic:1810”][quote]
Taylor is 23-0 and ranked No. 2 nationally at 157 pounds for the Nittany Lions. He’s been destroying the competition. He’s scored bonus points in 22 of his 23 matches. He’s won six matches by fall, nine by technical fall and seven by major decision.

His closest match was a 9-3 win over Virginia Tech’s Jesse Dong, who has been ranked as high as No. 5 nationally.
[/quote]

BTW… It’s amazing to see him wrestling at 157 this year and 163 last year as the article states. Some on this forum argued that he definitely would not be at that weight. He would be near his 135 like high school.[/quote]

What I argued was that if he was going to be in the lineup last year it would have been at 141 or 149 not 157 (and I never said he’d be at 135). While it’s clear he wouldn’t have been at 141, I still think that if he was going to wrestle last year it would have been at 149 not 157. What Sanderson choose to do was redshirt Taylor and let grow into 157 while building his strength rather than have him fight to keep his weight at 149. One look at Cyler Sanderson throwing Taylor around the mat in the video ought to show you that he wasn’t ready to wrestle at 157. As far as wrestling at 163 this past summer, that’s simply because the next lower alternative is 146. If Sanderson didn’t want Taylor cutting to 149 last year, he surely wouldn’t want him cutting to 146 this past summer.

What Sanderson was doing with Taylor was no different than what he did with Ed Ruth. Ruth redshirted and wrestled at 184 all of last year so he could work on his strength. If he was going to actually wrestle for the team, he’d have cut weight and wrestled at 174 just like he’s doing this year. Same thing would have happened with Taylor if he would have wrestled last year. He’d have been cutting weight and wrestling at 149.

[quote="Skeeza, post:10, topic:1810"][quote] Taylor is 23-0 and ranked No. 2 nationally at 157 pounds for the Nittany Lions. He’s been destroying the competition. He’s scored bonus points in 22 of his 23 matches. He’s won six matches by fall, nine by technical fall and seven by major decision.

[/quote]

BTW… It’s amazing to see him wrestling at 157 this year and 163 last year as the article states. Some on this forum argued that he definitely would not be at that weight. He would be near his 135 like high school.[/quote]

What I argued was that if he was going to be in the lineup last year it would have been at 141 or 149 not 157 (and I never said he’d be at 135). While it’s clear he wouldn’t have been at 141, I still think that if he was going to wrestle last year it would have been at 149 not 157. What Sanderson choose to do was redshirt Taylor and let grow into 157 while building his strength rather than have him fight to keep his weight at 149. One look at Cyler Sanderson throwing Taylor around the mat in the video ought to show you that he wasn’t ready to wrestle at 157. As far as wrestling at 163 this past summer, that’s simply because the next lower alternative is 146. If Sanderson didn’t want Taylor cutting to 149 last year, he surely wouldn’t want him cutting to 146 this past summer.

What Sanderson was doing with Taylor was no different than what he did with Ed Ruth. Ruth redshirted and wrestled at 184 all of last year so he could work on his strength. If he was going to actually wrestle for the team, he’d have cut weight and wrestled at 174 just like he’s doing this year. Same thing would have happened with Taylor if he would have wrestled last year. He’d have been cutting weight and wrestling at 149.

No Lar, he wasn’t at 163 this past summer, it was last season !!!

[quote=“Skeeza, post:10, topic:1810”][quote]

[/quote]

What are the credentials of the guy ranked #1?[/quote]

Steve Fittery of American. He’s a PA kid who transferred to American from Shippensburg. While at Shippensburg he was a two time DII national runner-up. Last year as a junior at American, he finished fifth at the NCAAs. So far this year, he’s 16-0. Fittery was ranked ahead of Taylor preseason and he’s just stayed there. Taylor’s been climbing the rankings as the guys in front of him lose. Fittery hasn’t lost yet and much like Taylor he’s been pinning or majoring every one of his opponents, so there’s no reason to drop him. He won the prestigious Midlands tournament over Christmas and was named Champion of Champions by his fellow wrestlers at the tournament. Fittery is like Taylor in that he uses a wide open aggressive style. He’s also like Taylor in that he’s moved up to 157 from much lower weight classes and uses speed and quickness as an advantage over many of his opponents. If he and Taylor meet in the NCAA finals, like many predict, it could be quite an exciting bout.

[quote="Skeeza, post:10, topic:1810"][quote] Taylor is 23-0 and ranked No. 2 nationally at 157 pounds for the Nittany Lions. He’s been destroying the competition. He’s scored bonus points in 22 of his 23 matches. He’s won six matches by fall, nine by technical fall and seven by major decision.

[/quote]

It was last FREESTYLE season which takes place AFTER the wrestling season during the spring and summer.

[quote="Skeeza, post:12, topic:1810"]No Lar, he wasn't at 163 this past [i]summer[/i], it was [b]last season [/b] !!![/quote]

It was last FREESTYLE season which takes place AFTER the wrestling season during the spring and summer.

Note the dates:

Taylor lost in Colorado at the end of May, had he won he would have been wrestling in Budapest in July.

I’m pretty excited to be going to my first ever wrestling match tonight. First time I’ll be in Rec Hall since John Amaechi played.

Do they still sell soda and popcorn in there for sporting events?

[/quote]

Whether it was the summer or not is immaterial. He wrestled all last year at 157.

I’m not going to spend a lot of time on this, but as evidence in your video above, Talor was wrestling Sanderson in a intraquad match at the BIEGINNING of last season. Wasn’t that match at 157? Wasn’t that in November of 2009? Did he not spend the rest of the season at 157?

…and you think he would have been at 141? COME ON, LAR !!!

[quote=“MillionaireMagic, post:16, topic:1810”]I’m pretty excited to be going to my first ever wrestling match tonight. First time I’ll be in Rec Hall since John Amaechi played.

Do they still sell soda and popcorn in there for sporting events?[/quote]

Yes.

My initial observation is that wrestlers give basketball players a run for worst cheap tats.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:17, topic:1810”]Whether it was the summer or not is immaterial. He wrestled all last year at 157.

I’m not going to spend a lot of time on this, but as evidence in your video above, Talor was wrestling Sanderson in a intraquad match at the BIEGINNING of last season. Wasn’t that match at 157? Wasn’t that in November of 2009? Did he not spend the rest of the season at 157?

…and you think he would have been at 141? COME ON, LAR !!![/quote]

I already admitted that he probably wouldn’t have been at 141 but more likely would have been at 149.

It’s not unusual for a kid to wrestle up a weight during his redshirt season. Ed Ruth wrestled all last year at 184. When it came time for him to wrestle for real this year he’s wrestling at 174.

I still maintain that if Taylor was going to wrestle any meaningful bouts for PSU last year it would have been at 149 not 157. When Taylor was wrestling in the summer of 2009 at the National Junior Freestyles, he wrestled at 145. If he could make 145 then, chances are pretty good he could have made 149 a few months later. Penn State also carried him on the roster at 141/149, another indicator that that’s where he probably would have wrestled if he had to go for real. Quentin Wright was listed at 165/174 on the roster but redshirted and wrestled at 184 all year. Why did those guys all wrestle up a weight or two? Because if they’re not going to wrestle any meaningful bouts there’s no reason to cut weight. They can concentrate on building their strength and not worry about weight management.

EDIT: Just noticed that Taylor appears in the season stats at both 149/157 which means he wrestled at least one match at 149.