PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: Wisky at NW

To me, this is a great matchup. Don’t have the conviction that NW can win this(or I’d take it) but if NW can beat anybody at home that they shouldn’t, IMO, it’s Wisky. While they play at a faster clip, NW should have no trouble in a slowed down halfcourt game. They may also force Wisky to play a bit quicker. Big issue, IMO, is if they can handle Leuer.

Not even sure what I’d like to see. If NW wins, does that mean Wisky isn’t that good, or that they’ll both be tough for us? Can’t wait to see this one.

Northwestern never poses a challenge for us. They tend to miss all their 3s when it comes to playing us.

[quote=“bballguy, post:2, topic:1823”]Northwestern never poses a challenge for us. They tend to miss all their 3s when it comes to playing us. [/quote]Sweet. i didn’t think about that one. I’ll chalk those 2 up as W’s right now :wink: I think both games against NW should be very entertaining. Talent level is about the same and both teams are playing pretty well at the moment.

Except they’re 69-170 (40.5%) the past 4 years.

[quote="bballguy, post:2, topic:1823"]Northwestern never poses a challenge for us. They tend to miss all their 3s when it comes to playing us.[/quote]

Except they’re 69-170 (40.5%) the past 4 years.

Don’t let facts get in the way of the eyeballs. ;D

[quote=“kidcoyote, post:1, topic:1823”]To me, this is a great matchup. Don’t have the conviction that NW can win this(or I’d take it) but if NW can beat anybody at home that they shouldn’t, IMO, it’s Wisky. While they play at a faster clip, NW should have no trouble in a slowed down halfcourt game. They may also force Wisky to play a bit quicker. Big issue, IMO, is if they can handle Leuer.

Not even sure what I’d like to see. If NW wins, does that mean Wisky isn’t that good, or that they’ll both be tough for us? Can’t wait to see this one.[/quote]
At halftime, Wisky putting up big numbers, and dominating. Surprised, but then shouldn’t be surprised with a Bo Ryan coached team. At the expense of a cliche, I think all our games will be tough. We enter any game left on our schedule without playing like we know we have a tough opponent and therefore have to play tough, will end up as a loss.

[quote="kidcoyote, post:1, topic:1823"]To me, this is a great matchup. Don't have the conviction that NW can win this(or I'd take it) but if NW can beat anybody at home that they shouldn't, IMO, it's Wisky. While they play at a faster clip, NW should have no trouble in a slowed down halfcourt game. They may also force Wisky to play a bit quicker. Big issue, IMO, is if they can handle Leuer.

Not even sure what I’d like to see. If NW wins, does that mean Wisky isn’t that good, or that they’ll both be tough for us? Can’t wait to see this one.[/quote]
At halftime, Wisky putting up big numbers, and dominating. Surprised, but then shouldn’t be surprised with a Bo Ryan coached team. At the expense of a cliche, I think all our games will be tough. We enter any game left on our schedule without playing like we know we have a tough opponent and therefore have to play tough, will end up as a loss.

Wow, what a beating. NW looks a step slow, weak. Last year they beat Minny, Purdue. Thought they were better. Glad I didn’t pick this one.

So much for that great match up! Northwestern getting throttled.

Yeah it’s to bad Coble didn’t come back this year. He would have helped them a ton.

WOW :o

Tivo’d the game so I could speed through it at the half of the Packers/Bears. I guess the state of Wisconsin is better than the state of Illinois today.

Maybe it was the NFL playoff factor. Not only did Wisky kill NW, but Wisconsin Milwaukee upset Butler, and Wisconsin Green Bay upset Valpo. Packer fever, perhaps?

And the Bears voluntarily have their 3rd string QB in the game

Just like PSU in “most” years, Northwestern’s OOC schedule is biting them in the arse! They built up a nice record early on, but are taking their lumps in the league.

It will be interesting to see what kind of schedule we have next year, since we are losing 4 senior starters, and only have one senior-to-be in Woodyard returning. But, I guess we’ll let that up to whoever the coach is. :-\

[quote=“Smitty, post:13, topic:1823”]Just like PSU in “most” years, Northwestern’s OOC schedule is biting them in the arse! They built up a nice record early on, but are taking their lumps in the league.

It will be interesting to see what kind of schedule we have next year, since we are losing 4 senior starters, and only have one senior-to-be in Woodyard returning. But, I guess we’ll let that up to whoever the coach is. :-[/quote]

Some games, NW has looked awesome. Granted it was Iowa, but they blew them out, making it look easy. Today, while I never considered Wisky to be an athletic team, they looked stronger, quicker, tougher than NW. Also, and this concerns me re playing Wisky, NW was running back doors all day, but Wisky covered them well, which forced NW into taking treys, often bad ones, which Wisky also handled. Our recent play has seen PSU get the ball inside, usually the high post, and some dribble drives, with Frazier and Brooks doing it. My sense is that the dribble drive vs. Wisky won’t be as effective(NW even tried it today when nothing else was working, without success), though we’re better at it than NW, so I don’t know. But we have to get that high post pass. Wisky’s D had NW look helpless. Hope we’re more effective vs. it. Seemed like Wisky knew every NW tendency, and just beat them to the spot.