PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: Winter Classic likely at Heinz Field

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10087/1046280-61.stm

This is a matchup the NHL should have been promoting for a couple of years now. Not sure what took so long to get Crosby and Ovechkin together on a big stage like this. They should have every Pitt / Wash game on national TV – Vs. or NBC.

I still think a Pens-Flyers winter classic in Beaver Stadium would be sick.

Yeah but only in PA. There is zero national interest in the Flyers.

I’m a Penguins fan so I love this idea…but I thought the Winter Classic series was designed to get every team in the game before repeating?

I know Bettman voiced a preference in some variety for the game, but I don’t believe there was ever talk of getting every team involved. There are only so many venues where it’s even a possibility. And while they obviously have many more that could host, the league still wants to make money.

[quote="Pezlion, post:3, topic:1057"]I still think a Pens-Flyers winter classic in Beaver Stadium would be sick.[/quote]

Is there national interest in the Penguins? Other than from them being defending champs? I don’t follow the NHL very much, so I don’t really know.

[quote="Pezlion, post:3, topic:1057"]I still think a Pens-Flyers winter classic in Beaver Stadium would be sick.[/quote]

Is there national interest in the Penguins? Other than from them being defending champs? I don’t follow the NHL very much, so I don’t really know.

I didn’t think there was much national interest in any one team. I wouldn’t think the Flyers would have much more or less than anyone else .

Yes, because of Crosby. Which is why Pitt vs. Wash makes sense. It matches Crosby and Ovechkin on national (international) TV. I still don’t understand last year’s Flyers / Bruins matchup. Much better matchups for the Bruins than the Flyers (Montreal for one).

Yes, because of Crosby. Which is why Pitt vs. Wash makes sense. It matches Crosby and Ovechkin on national (international) TV. I still don’t understand last year’s Flyers / Bruins matchup. Much better matchups for the Bruins than the Flyers (Montreal for one).

I swear I read this had the highest tv rating of any hockey game in the past 33 years or something like that. The olympics might have passed it by this past winter (didn’t look it up so not sure on that one)

I swear I read this had the highest tv rating of any hockey game in the past 33 years or something like that. The olympics might have passed it by this past winter (didn’t look it up so not sure on that one)

I would argue that the Flyers are one of the more recognizable hockey teams… but you are right, my PA glasses are tinted that way. Philly is still a major market, and Hockey has proven to be a very regional sport, meaning that where you have an NHL team you get good ratings, but the draw just is not there otherwise. Therefore, if the Flyers play in one of the largest markets, it only makes sense that they would be one of the most visable teams.

The league also faced who would play the Bruins… I would think that the Rangers or Islanders would have been good choices, except maybe they were holding out for a Yankee stadium deal taking the NY teams out of play at Fenway. Couldn’t use Detriot, Chicago, Buffalo or Pitt again and you don’t want to ask a canadian team since it’s really NBC pulling the strings. Therefore, the only teams left besides Philly were the Caps, the blue Jackets (you kiding me!?) or maybe Carolina. Outside those, you reach much too far geographically, so Philly was really the best choice, except they stink right now, but who’s paying attention to the standings on Jan 1 :wink:

That might be correct. So think what a bigger drawing card could have done.

Maybe but it did gain better numbers than the 2 prior seasons. So maybe the Flyers and Bruins were a better draw than you thought.

Still think Pens vs Flyers in Beaver Stadium would be a great move.

Maybe but it did gain better numbers than the 2 prior seasons. So maybe the Flyers and Bruins were a better draw than you thought.

Still think Pens vs Flyers in Beaver Stadium would be a great move.

Could have been the Fenway Park factor too. Or maybe the bowl games it matched against were weak this year. Don’t have any answers (also don’t know for sure that your statement is correct). We’ll see. If the Pens / Caps game does better, then we could make two arguments – 1. The two teams are just a better draw. 2. The Winter Classic is gaining in popularity as more people become aware of the game. I know the Bruins and Flyers are both hugely popular in their hometowns. But I can’t think of anything about either team that makes them interesting to a national audience – like a Crosby vs. Ovechkin matchup would.

Okay, I looked it up. You are not quite correct. The 2009 game drew a 2.9. The 2008 and 2010 games were each 2.6 ratings. However, all three games are the highest rated regular season games – since 1996. Nothing really exciting about any of the ratings in all honesty. But I think a Crosby vs. Ovechkin game has a chance to draw some pretty big numbers. Neither guy alone would draw much more than average numbers. But put them on the ice together – I think it will do well. (Take note of point number 3 in the article.)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Five-reasons-not-to-panic-about-Winter-Classic-s?urn=nhl,211696

Okay, I looked it up. You are not quite correct. The 2009 game drew a 2.9. The 2008 and 2010 games were each 2.6 ratings. However, all three games are the highest rated regular season games – since 1996. Nothing really exciting about any of the ratings in all honesty. But I think a Crosby vs. Ovechkin game has a chance to draw some pretty big numbers. Neither guy alone would draw much more than average numbers. But put them on the ice together – I think it will do well.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Five-reasons-not-to-panic-about-Winter-Classic-s?urn=nhl,211696

I know. I eat crow on this one. I didnt open up the entire link. Found this…

“NBC earned a 2.6 overnight Nielsen rating for the Flyers-Bruins Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic on Friday, down 10.3% from a 2.9 for the Red Wings-Blackhawks matchup last year, and even with the inaugural Penguins-Sabres Winter Classic in '08. The 2.6 overnight still marks the second-best NHL regular-season rating since '96.”

Interesting that the article says PNC Park wasn’t really ever considered and partly because of it’s capacity. It’s bigger than Fenway…

With Heinz field next door in comparison, it is pretty small… but it might also have to do with sight lines. Besides, PNC isn’t THAT much bigger than Fenway.

Personally, I don’t like the baseball layouts. It seems like that means everyone is away from the ice. I think they should use a football stadium and turn the rink sideways like they do for basketball in the domes, and bring in some temporary bleachers for the other end. You’d get 40-50k instead of 80, but the seats would be soooo much better.

[quote="Friznitz5, post:17, topic:1057"]Interesting that the article says PNC Park wasn't really ever considered and partly because of it's capacity. It's bigger than Fenway...[/quote]

With Heinz field next door in comparison, it is pretty small… but it might also have to do with sight lines. Besides, PNC isn’t THAT much bigger than Fenway.

Personally, I don’t like the baseball layouts. It seems like that means everyone is away from the ice. I think they should use a football stadium and turn the rink sideways like they do for basketball in the domes, and bring in some temporary bleachers for the other end. You’d get 40-50k instead of 80, but the seats would be soooo much better.

Agree 100%.

In another hockey related topic, if Tom Flynn is a Flyer fan, he didn’t do them any favors in this article. Love the photo of Bettman though.