PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: We've landed Pegula, now can we get his daughter Jessica

Nationally ranked junior tennis player considering whether to go to college or turn pro. Let’s get her here and let her father also finance the construction of a new Tennis Facility.

Just curious, is there an issue with Sarni? It was just built 10 or so years ago…

Or are you referring to the indoor facility?

The Sarni Tennis Center is fine. It just needs an electronic scoreboard and some minor upgrades.

The indoor tennis center has only four courts, which makes team matches inordinately long. The courts themselves and the lighting are fine, but the rest of the facility is sub-par. We need at least six indoor courts, and would like to have more to host state championships, tournaments, etc.

Long-range plans (3-5 years?), which could always change or never materialize, have a new 10-court indoor tennis center at the Bigler Complex, built on the IM field closest to the outdoor pool.

So, if you stood at the outdoor pool looking toward the BJC, you’d have the indoor tennis center, the field hockey stadium and then the hockey arena occupying the Bigler Complex, from west to east.

from: Map 5-4 - Proposed Program Accommodation and Future Campus Expansion Sites

the proposed indoor tennis center is A-12 on this detail

The university has been trying to derail the hockey gift for a while. Every time there has been a potential donor they have tried to steer them away from ice hockey and to the Nat and the Tennis Center. The Pegula gift forced PSU’s hand. They were going to have to turn down an almost $100M gift to keep Ice Hockey from happening. You will see a few more million coming in to ice hockey from a few different sources in the next couple of years as well.

Well-respected swimming coach Bill Dorenkott fled to Ohio State three years ago because he grew tired of waiting for Penn State to commit to an Olympic swimming pool and 10-meter diving well added to the Natatorium. I’m guessing that when Penn State signed Dorenkott’s replacement, Jon Hargis, promises were made about the Natatorium upgrades.

With construction of the new softball facility underway and Pegula presumably paying for the hockey arena, I have to believe that the next priority capital project for Athletics is the Natatorium additions. I’ve heard that could cost $35-40 million.

After that, we have the need for the indoor tennis facility and the Jeffrey Field soccer clubhouse and upgrades. However, as we’ve seen with Pegula, donors tend to drive priorities and time lines.

when they are done throwing all these dollars at the sporting teams, when are they going to build something really special for the general student population?

I know while I went, the athletic facilities for the common student was sub-par. I’m dropping somewhere close to $15K per year, and the weight training facilities being shared by the 20,000 students were rediculous.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:7, topic:1346”]when they are done throwing all these dollars at the sporting teams, when are they going to build something really special for the general student population?

I know while I went, the athletic facilities for the common student was sub-par. I’m dropping somewhere close to $15K per year, and the weight training facilities being shared by the 20,000 students were rediculous.[/quote]

well if you drop enough $$$$ they’ll be more than glad to work with you. Both Rec hall & White Building have been reworked & renovated with the general student population in mind. In fact, some of the downtown gyms were talking about suing PSU for overstepping their bounds. If you would take the time to look at teh map above, you would see plans for redoing the IM building. Also, the new ice rink will be used for student & community use. I imagine any future indoor tennis & Nat facilities would be as well.

[quote="Skeeza, post:7, topic:1346"]when they are done throwing all these dollars at the sporting teams, when are they going to build something really special for the general student population?

I know while I went, the athletic facilities for the common student was sub-par. I’m dropping somewhere close to $15K per year, and the weight training facilities being shared by the 20,000 students were rediculous.[/quote]

well if you drop enough $$$$ they’ll be more than glad to work with you. Both Rec hall & White Building have been reworked & renovated with the general student population in mind. In fact, some of the downtown gyms were talking about suing PSU for overstepping their bounds. If you would take the time to look at teh map above, you would see plans for redoing the IM building. Also, the new ice rink will be used for student & community use. I imagine any future indoor tennis & Nat facilities would be as well.

What are the “BJC Additions” in that plan?

[quote=“UncleLar, post:1, topic:1346”]Nationally ranked junior tennis player considering whether to go to college or turn pro. Let’s get her here and let her father also finance the construction of a new Tennis Facility.

[/quote]

When I saw the title of this post by Lar, I was a little worried.
I’m glad to see it was athletics related. ;D

[quote=“Skeeza, post:7, topic:1346”]when they are done throwing all these dollars at the sporting teams, when are they going to build something really special for the general student population?

Have you seen the student gyms now in the White Building and Rec Hall? First class. And as noted above, the IM building is scheduled for an addition in the next couple years. If you haven’t checked out the student weight training/aerobic facilities in the past several years, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

[quote="Skeeza, post:7, topic:1346"]when they are done throwing all these dollars at the sporting teams, when are they going to build something really special for the general student population?

Have you seen the student gyms now in the White Building and Rec Hall? First class. And as noted above, the IM building is scheduled for an addition in the next couple years. If you haven’t checked out the student weight training/aerobic facilities in the past several years, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

That’s good to know, because they were pretty lousy for the general student population back when I was part of that Cohort in the late 80’s.