PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: Wake Forest coach (baseball) gives player kidney

Wake Forest coach gives player kidney

Wake Forest freshman outfielder Kevin Jordan needed a kidney transplant. None of his family members was a suitable match for a donation.

That’s when his baseball coach, Tom Walter, stepped in.

Both men are recovering at Emory Hospital in Atlanta after Walter donated a kidney to Jordan on Monday. One of the surgeons in the procedures, Dr. Kenneth Newell, said the operations went well and that both men are expected to make full recoveries.

[quote=“manatree, post:1, topic:1914”]Wake Forest coach gives player kidney

[quote]Wake Forest freshman outfielder Kevin Jordan needed a kidney transplant. None of his family members was a suitable match for a donation.

That’s when his baseball coach, Tom Walter, stepped in.

Both men are recovering at Emory Hospital in Atlanta after Walter donated a kidney to Jordan on Monday. One of the surgeons in the procedures, Dr. Kenneth Newell, said the operations went well and that both men are expected to make full recoveries.[/quote][/quote]

Isn’t that an NCAA violation? ;D

Was planning to post the same thing. I could really see the NCAA, in it’s warped view of enforcement, stepping in with something to say here. Kudos to the coach.

From another news story:

“The NCAA will reportedly table any sanctions against the school so long as the coach is willing to donate his other kidney to any Wake Forest student who is not an NCAA athlete.”

Depends…was the coach’s kidney recruited before it was offered?

[quote=“jyd, post:4, topic:1914”]From another news story:

“The NCAA will reportedly table any sanctions against the school so long as the coach is willing to donate his other kidney to any Wake Forest student who is not an NCAA athlete.”[/quote]

What if the player’s Dad was actually the one who asked… …uh, nevermind !!! :-X

Yeah, I thought about that as well. Lately it seems to me that some of the NCAA rules exist solely for the fact that they are basically trivial, but easy to investigate and enforce for a press release. I would rather that they focus their efforts on serious things like fudging grades, etc.

Come on guys! It is a great story. There is some good left in the world. Don’t ruin it