OT:Vols Get Bad News

After winning vs. Memphis yesterday, today not a good day for 14th ranked Tennessee. Wonder if something like this will affect recruits for '10, like 5 star Tobias Harris.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4788521

For those wondering what the bad news is who don’t want to click through to the article, they were stopped for speeding, the cops smelled marijuana, and found open alcohol containers, guns with filed off serial numbers, and arrested four players.

Saw this on the ESPN ticker. Why would these idiots be “rolling so dirty” on New Years Eve (it happened last night right?) a night notorious for drunk drivers and pull overs… Idiots.

It happened today. Pot, alcohol and guns in mid afternoon, driving around. Delightful, huh?

[quote="noobd, post:3, topic:580"]Saw this on the ESPN ticker. Why would these idiots be "rolling so dirty" on New Years Eve (it happened last night right?) a night notorious for drunk drivers and pull overs.. Idiots.[/quote]

It happened today. Pot, alcohol and guns in mid afternoon, driving around. Delightful, huh?

Just learning to roll like the pros. Did you see where Gibert Arenas and Javaris Crittenton pulled guns on each other in the Wizard’s locker room?

[quote="noobd, post:3, topic:580"]Saw this on the ESPN ticker. Why would these idiots be "rolling so dirty" on New Years Eve (it happened last night right?) a night notorious for drunk drivers and pull overs.. Idiots.[/quote]

You know, I did some stupid things when I was younger, but wow, I am just shocked by the stupidity here…

Oh alright, now it goes from the epitome of stupid to extremely brainless. :wink:

The crap that goes on in the NBA and NFL is slowly leaking down to collegiate levels. Sigh.

Just learning to roll like the pros. Did you see where Gibert Arenas and Javaris Crittenton pulled guns on each other in the Wizard’s locker room?

I did see that. It’s going to be interesting to see if those two guys pass to eachother. :wink: Supposedly, Arenas lost at gambling to Crittenton and didn’t pay him, so JC pulled the gun, and Arenas responded in kind. Sorta like the Old West. IMO, owners should put in their contracts, and the league should insist, that contracts can be broken for cause for players being caught with guns. If the union fights this, they should be decertified.

I did see that. It’s going to be interesting to see if those two guys pass to eachother. :wink: Supposedly, Arenas lost at gambling to Crittenton and didn’t pay him, so JC pulled the gun, and Arenas responded in kind. Sorta like the Old West. IMO, owners should put in their contracts, and the league should insist, that contracts can be broken for cause for players being caught with guns. If the union fights this, they should be decertified.

The sad truth is that I doubt the Wizards would be willing to simply release a guy like Arenas. And even if they were willing, I’m sure there would be a dozen teams lining up for his services.

The sad truth is that I doubt the Wizards would be willing to simply release a guy like Arenas. And even if they were willing, I’m sure there would be a dozen teams lining up for his services.

True, but what if they want to get rid of Crittenton? I mean, can these guys play together after pulling guns on eachother? IMO, teams need some sort of options to rid themselves of problems like this. They’re paying millions, taking great financial risk and a situation like this can kill a team, then attendance, etc. I suppose a league mandatory suspension might work. It’d be interesting to know how much Arenas owes him, but I’m sure it’s got some zeroes in it.

Can I assume you mean caught doing something illegal with guns? Why wouldn’t athletes be allowed to own firearms? Just because they are athletes?

First time in a while Gilbert Arenas has turned down an open shot. :slight_smile:

I saw this story earlier in the day and the first thing that popped into my mind was “I’m really glad we don’t need to worry about Ed’s guys doing crap like this.” I really appreciate the quality of kids Ed recruits. I don’t know any of the kids personally but I couldn’t fathom reading something like this about any of the guys on the team. I know I’ll sound like someone who’s embraced losing, but I’d rather have the basketball program that we currently have at PSU (coach, players, fans, results) than some of these other schools that have achieved a lot more on the court success. You can’t tell me Bruce Pearl had no idea his players were at least dabbling in some stuff like this…I’ll take Ed over someone like Bruce Pearl every day of the week.

Be careful what you say…remember what people used to say about the kids JoePa recruited. Just calling a spade a spade.

[quote="Finding Forrester, post:13, topic:580"]I saw this story earlier in the day and the first thing that popped into my mind was "I'm really glad we don't need to worry about Ed's guys doing crap like this." I really appreciate the quality of kids Ed recruits. I don't know any of the kids personally but I couldn't fathom reading something like this about any of the guys on the team. I know I'll sound like someone who's embraced losing, but I'd rather have the basketball program that we currently have at PSU (coach, players, fans, results) than some of these other schools that have achieved a lot more on the court success. You can't tell me Bruce Pearl had no idea his players were at least dabbling in some stuff like this....I'll take Ed over someone like Bruce Pearl every day of the week.[/quote]

Be careful what you say…remember what people used to say about the kids JoePa recruited. Just calling a spade a spade.

joema, formerly jcmroad. your insight is brillant. Thank you for the reminder. Its good to know that if someone goes off track on an internet forum you are there to set them straight.

[quote="kidcoyote, post:8, topic:580"]I did see that. It's going to be interesting to see if those two guys pass to eachother. ;) Supposedly, Arenas lost at gambling to Crittenton and didn't pay him, so JC pulled the gun, and Arenas responded in kind. Sorta like the Old West. IMO, owners should put in their contracts, and the league should insist, that contracts can be broken for cause for players being caught with guns. If the union fights this, they should be decertified.[/quote]

Can I assume you mean caught doing something illegal with guns? Why wouldn’t athletes be allowed to own firearms? Just because they are athletes?

Owning them and having them either on campus or in you locker(as Arenas supposedly did) are two different things. If carrying guns anywhere is so protected, try taking one onto your next flight or into a courthouse. Hope you have bail money. :wink:

The NY Yankees have a “no facial hair” policy, which is why Johnny Damon had to get cleaned up when he joined them. Teams and schools can have policies which must be adhered to or any contract is null and void. Guns sounds like a good place to start. Why do these guys need guns is probably related to where they’re hanging out. Take away the gun option, and maybe they stay out of certain neighborhoods.

It’s another matter, but I’d love to see these guys grades. I’d bet anything that GPA is directly inverse to carrying guns. So, it’s probable that these guys aren’t meeting the requirements academically anyway but are being protected by Bruce Pearl in those matters.

[quote="Finding Forrester, post:13, topic:580"]I saw this story earlier in the day and the first thing that popped into my mind was "I'm really glad we don't need to worry about Ed's guys doing crap like this." I really appreciate the quality of kids Ed recruits. I don't know any of the kids personally but I couldn't fathom reading something like this about any of the guys on the team. I know I'll sound like someone who's embraced losing, but I'd rather have the basketball program that we currently have at PSU (coach, players, fans, results) than some of these other schools that have achieved a lot more on the court success. You can't tell me Bruce Pearl had no idea his players were at least dabbling in some stuff like this....I'll take Ed over someone like Bruce Pearl every day of the week.[/quote]

joema, formerly jcmroad. your insight is brillant. Thank you for the reminder. Its good to know that if someone goes off track on an internet forum you are there to set them straight.

No problem. Just returning the favor to all my forum counterparts who do the same thing. Just calling a spade a spade.

[quote="kidcoyote, post:8, topic:580"]I did see that. It's going to be interesting to see if those two guys pass to eachother. ;) Supposedly, Arenas lost at gambling to Crittenton and didn't pay him, so JC pulled the gun, and Arenas responded in kind. Sorta like the Old West. IMO, owners should put in their contracts, and the league should insist, that contracts can be broken for cause for players being caught with guns. If the union fights this, they should be decertified.[/quote]

Owning them and having them either on campus or in you locker(as Arenas supposedly did) are two different things. If carrying guns anywhere is so protected, try taking one onto your next flight or into a courthouse. Hope you have bail money. :wink:

The NY Yankees have a “no facial hair” policy, which is why Johnny Damon had to get cleaned up when he joined them. Teams and schools can have policies which must be adhered to or any contract is null and void. Guns sounds like a good place to start. Why do these guys need guns is probably related to where they’re hanging out. Take away the gun option, and maybe they stay out of certain neighborhoods.

It’s another matter, but I’d love to see these guys grades. I’d bet anything that GPA is directly inverse to carrying guns. So, it’s probable that these guys aren’t meeting the requirements academically anyway but are being protected by Bruce Pearl in those matters.

I own 6 guns – A Mossberg 12 gauge, a Remington 1903, a Glock 21, a Walther PPK, a Walther P22 and a Ruger Single Six .22 magnum. Based on that information, where do you think I hang out?

I can understand not allowing firearms in the arena – my job has a sign at the door telling us we are not allowed to bring weapons into the building. But to tell players they can’t own them at all? That’s crazy.

I know firearms on campus is a sensitive topic because of some recent events. But, back when I was in college – at PSU – I knew plenty of hunters that brought their rifles into the dorms. No one thought anything of it. How times have changed.

I own 6 guns – A Mossberg 12 gauge, a Remington 1903, a Glock 21, a Walther PPK, a Walther P22 and a Ruger Single Six .22 magnum. Based on that information, where do you think I hang out?

I can understand not allowing firearms in the arena – my job has a sign at the door telling us we are not allowed to bring weapons into the building. But to tell players they can’t own them at all? That’s crazy.

I know firearms on campus is a sensitive topic because of some recent events. But, back when I was in college – at PSU – I knew plenty of hunters that brought their rifles into the dorms. No one thought anything of it. How times have changed.

I’m not anti-gun. Do you take your guns into bars? Drive around with them in your front seat? I don’t know when you went to college, but guns in dorms? NFW. Why, to shoot beercans off split rail fences? Okay, if you’re a hunter, the guns need to be kept with campus security and checked out, then checked back in. The amount of drugs and drinking on campuses can’t allow them in dorms.

I’m not anti-gun. Do you take your guns into bars? Drive around with them in your front seat? I don’t know when you went to college, but guns in dorms? NFW. Why, to shoot beercans off split rail fences? Okay, if you’re a hunter, the guns need to be kept with campus security and checked out, then checked back in. The amount of drugs and drinking on campuses can’t allow them in dorms.

I’m with you. The idea that firearms should be allowed in campus housing is just absurd.