PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: US Open Golf

In honor of the start of the US Open at Congressional, I present this video by the Golf Boys ( Ben Crane, Bubba Watson, Rickie Fowler, & Hunter Mahan)

Golf Boys - Oh Oh Oh (Official Video)

No more “you da man” cheers on these guys drives. From now on, it’s “oooh de lally lally”. ;D

Love it! :smiley:
Fowler looks a lot better in that outfit than some of the clothes he wears on the golf course!

Eff the US Open and the extra hour and a half it added onto my commute this morning.

This McIlroy kid is gonna be pretty good some day. 8)

Just asked my ten year old son if he wanted to watch the tournament…his response:

“Tiger’s not in it, I don’t care”

I actually find myself agreeing with him for some strange reason. And I’m not a Tiger fan in the least bit.

Just turned on TV to catch PTI on my DVR, and noticed it wasn’t on the last two days. Realized it was US Open time. My favorite tournament, but with no Tiger, it wasn’t on my radar.

Played the White Course today. sadly I am not as good as these guys.

To comment on this, and the Tiger comments:
McIlory is one of the very few guys I’m really pulling for anymore. Young guy, great deal of talent, but has made himself his own greatest enemy. If he ever gets through the head-games and gains some poise on Sundays, he’ll be a big name in golf for a while.

Tiger’s lack of success and participation has made a rather pallid year for the PGA. I hope this isn’t the beginning of the end for him, but I think it’s fair to believe it could be.

One of the great things about golf is that you can go out and actually play on a lot of the venues where the pros compete (that’s not true in very many other sports). Another thing is that you can occasionally hit a shot that mimics one by a pro (earlier in the week, I pured a hybrid from 190 that one hopped in for an eagle [insert a pat-on-my-own-back emoticon]). Of course, we might hit 10% of our shots pure, while the pros hit 90%+, but we do get to sometimes experience the joy of a great shot.

[quote="NGameday, post:7, topic:2502"]Played the White Course today. sadly I am not as good as these guys.[/quote]

One of the great things about golf is that you can go out and actually play on a lot of the venues where the pros compete (that’s not true in very many other sports). Another thing is that you can occasionally hit a shot that mimics one by a pro (earlier in the week, I pured a hybrid from 190 that one hopped in for an eagle [insert a pat-on-my-own-back emoticon]). Of course, we might hit 10% of our shots pure, while the pros hit 90%+, but we do get to sometimes experience the joy of a great shot.

Their pure > our pure

And I can beat Shaq in a free throw contest. 8)

[quote="NGameday, post:7, topic:2502"]Played the White Course today. sadly I am not as good as these guys.[/quote]

Their pure > our pure

You mean a pro wouldn’t be hitting a hybrid from 190? :smiley:

Just kidding lar, I’ve yet to make an eagle and I’ve been playing since I was about 10. Not for a lack of chances though, I’m just a choke artist under pressure. The rory mcilroy of eagle putts… I’m going to say that one while I still can, I don’t think he’s letting this one slip away.

I played Golden Tee once!

Had McIlroy won the Masters you’d probably get a lot more interest from the Tiger crowd, as there would be someone going for the grand slam. Though I have to say that 3rd, 3rd, leading on the back nine on Sunday and 1st after Saturday, in the last four majors is quite Tiger-like.

Their pure > our pure

Just kidding lar, I’ve yet to make an eagle and I’ve been playing since I was about 10. Not for a lack of chances though, I’m just a choke artist under pressure. The rory mcilroy of eagle putts… I’m going to say that one while I still can, I don’t think he’s letting this one slip away.

He might if his name is Y. E. Yang.

Yang has reportedly traded in his long irons for hybrids (there seems to be a debate about whether his longest iron is a five or six iron).

Me - I carry a very mixed bag. I rotate my long irons, woods, and hybrids depending on my mood but most often my bag consists of:

3 hybrids: 1, 3, 4
1 driving iron
5, 6, 7, 8, 9 irons
4 wedges
1 putter

I will sometimes rotate in a driver or three wood in what usually turns out to be a feeble attempt to make them work. I think my next move is to work on cutting my wedges back to three. Frankly, given that my most lofted wedge is only 55 degrees, it’s downright stupid to be carrying four of them. The really crazy thing is that the reason I want to move to three wedges is so I can add a three wood not so much for using it off the tee or fairway but for chipping with it around the green. I’m not the least bit comfortable with my putter once it gets more than 3-4 inches off the green, but I am deadly when using a three wood in those circumstances.

Oh - have I mentioned that I do absolutely everything right handed except putt. That’s the second most strange part of my game. The most strange is that when I use my hybrids from the tee box, I don’t use a tee. I bump up a mound of dirt with my club and use that as a tee. I use to catch a lot of flack from my golfing buddies for it, but the results speak for themselves (it only takes a couple of hybrids off the deck past their drivers to shut them up).

Their pure > our pure

Yang has reportedly traded in his long irons for hybrids (there seems to be a debate about whether his longest iron is a five or six iron).

From the Washington Examiner.

#10 was a downhill 199 yard par three. Yang used a 5-hybrid which makes me think that he would have used the same 5-hybrid for my 190 yard shot.

Not sure if anybody saw the comments by Padraig Harrington about McIlroy, and while kind of ambitious(about him being the one to beat Nicklaus), a victory today would make him younger than Jack in winning his first professional major. I first noticed this kid in the PGA at Whistling Straits. IMO, he’s going to win multiple majors. He’s better than his country mate, McDowell.

If anybody didn’t read the Matt Kuchar piece in Golf Digest, about how he changed his swing, I’d recommend it. Kuchar had 11 top 10 finishes last year and was leading money winner. He’s tied for 3rd in this tourney. His swing is somewhat similar to McIlroy’s, sort of old style, less upright, steeper shoulders on the backswing, a bit of the reverse “C” in the finish. Kuchar’s more radical, but they both seem a throwback, less hands and arms, more hips and body. Kuchar’s coach actually got him as a student by stating, “we need to take the athleticism out of your swing.”

[quote=“UncleLar, post:14, topic:2502”]He might if his name is Y. E. Yang.

Yang has reportedly traded in his long irons for hybrids (there seems to be a debate about whether his longest iron is a five or six iron). [/quote]

It appears that KJ Choi has the same philosophy.

From a Golf.com article published during the Masters.

[i]"The longest iron in Choi’s bag Thursday was a 7-iron, but on Friday he put his 6-iron back in the bag and went with only three hybrids.

Yang, who shot an even-par 72 Friday to finish at five under par, carries four hybrid clubs all the time. The longest iron in his bag is a 6-iron."[/i]

Wow, I knew guys were using hybrids now on tour but I didn’t realize they were replacing so much of their bag with them. They are ridiculously easy to hit, I will grant you that. I love the one I carry in my bag, it plays like about a 3-4 iron for me though and I am only using it from 220+ yards out or occasionally off the tee if my driver has gone to crap. I’m not sure I could envision using one on par 3’s consistently though, it just doesn’t seem to have the precise feel of an iron shot to me. It’s long and high though so I guess it’s probably better than I’m imagining, especially as higher lofts. I hit my 7 and 5 so well though I just can’t see replacing it yet. Maybe when I get a bit older and the hips aren’t quite as good as making that turn I’ll switch out a few more clubs.

I remember older guys used to always have fairway woods in their bags, down to like 9-woods… and I never understood it because I thought they were always rather difficult to play off anything but a perfect lie. But the hybrids make perfect sense to have a bag full of, they are really almost like cheating.

[quote author=UncleLar link=topic=2567.msg62983#msg62983 date=1308490738]

It appears that KJ Choi has the same philosophy.

From a Golf.com article published during the Masters.

[i]"The longest iron in Choi’s bag Thursday was a 7-iron, but on Friday he put his 6-iron back in the bag and went with only three hybrids.

Yang, who shot an even-par 72 Friday to finish at five under par, carries four hybrid clubs all the time. The longest iron in his bag is a 6-iron."[/i]

My boss, a 5 time club champ and 300+ yard driver, got a hybrid after he worked at the US Open at Bethpage in '09, after watching how many pros had them. Still, I’d bet 90% of regular tour pros still carry a 4 iron. Longer than that, probably goes way down. At the '09 Open, I saw a couple guys using non-irons on #3, which plays 241 yds. for them. I assume they were hybrids. I think the shorter hitters probably carry more hybrids. Here’s the bag of crusher Dustin Johnson, zero hybrids. I used to carry a 4 wood(in the persimmon days I carried 1,3,4). I loved it. Much more accurate than the 3 wood for me, and I probably hit it ~225 yds. Often used it off the tee, esp in matches. Maybe I should go back to it. :wink: Too cheap to splurge for hybrids, with the limited amount I play today.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/whats-in-my-bag/2009-08/dustinjohnson_golfbag

I think it’s safe to say now, through 9.5 holes on the final round, we have a new superstar officially on the scene. Just about aced the 10th.