OT: Urban Meyer resigned

stated health reasons. Starts the coaching carousel

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/16337/sec-wont-be-the-same-without-meyer

Jay Paterno?! :smiley:

Hopefully his health returns and everything works out for him and his family. As much as I dislike the SEC you hate to see a guy go down like this.

[quote=“prideofsc, post:1, topic:549”]stated health reasons. Starts the coaching carousel

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/16337/sec-wont-be-the-same-without-meyer[/quote]

Wish him well and good health in the future. Maybe they will bring back Galen? Joking, of course, I think they had to forfeit an SEC title that Galen won

Possibly rethinking retirement. He would take a leave of absence through the 2010 season. Adazzio would become the interim head coach. Gator fans hate Adazzio so next season would be quite interesting with him at the helm.

Here’s the link to the ESPN report: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4774134

[quote=“psuphiman80, post:5, topic:549”]Possibly rethinking retirement. He would take a leave of absence through the 2010 season. Adazzio would become the interim head coach. Gator fans hate Adazzio so next season would be quite interesting with him at the helm.

Here’s the link to the ESPN report: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4774134[/quote]

Seems like within 24 hours he’s been pressured into rethinking his decision. Now I’ve read he’s likely to be back on the sideline in 2010, just won’t be involved this offseason. If this is a serious health issue, I hope he is being allowed to make this decision on his own, and not getting pressure to change his mind because of recruiting.

If it was stress causing the health issues, maybe he should talk to Paterno about how to last a while by doing this job without actually doing any work :wink:

Possibly rethinking retirement. He would take a leave of absence through the 2010 season. Adazzio would become the interim head coach. Gator fans hate Adazzio so next season would be quite interesting with him at the helm.

Here’s the link to the ESPN report: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4774134

Seems like within 24 hours he’s been pressured into rethinking his decision. Now I’ve read he’s likely to be back on the sideline in 2010, just won’t be involved this offseason. If this is a serious health issue, I hope he is being allowed to make this decision on his own, and not getting pressure to change his mind because of recruiting.

If it was stress causing the health issues, maybe he should talk to Paterno about how to last a while by doing this job without actually doing any work :wink:

Still think it might be a publicity stunt but its pretty extreme one if it is. All I know its going to be fun hearing how Lane Kiffin uses this to jab a few more knifes at Florida.

[quote="psuphiman80, post:5, topic:549"]Possibly rethinking retirement. He would take a leave of absence through the 2010 season. Adazzio would become the interim head coach. Gator fans hate Adazzio so next season would be quite interesting with him at the helm.

Here’s the link to the ESPN report: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4774134[/quote]

Still think it might be a publicity stunt but its pretty extreme one if it is. All I know its going to be fun hearing how Lane Kiffin uses this to jab a few more knifes at Florida.

I don’t know if it is a publicity stunt, I’m not sure what the point would be. I do think it is strange that Donovan kind of did the same thing, saying he was leaving Florida for the NBA and then changing his mind after about a day. Meyer says he’s resigning, and then changes his mind, says he’ll be back in 2010 the next day. As for Kiffin, I am curious to see how Tennessee will be after 4 years of him running the program.

I think back to the problems Pat Flannery had at Bucknell. When you’re that involved and that emotionally attached, I think it’s almost impossible to back away far enough and be satisfied… at least at the same level/program. If he does come back the the sidelines, I very much doubt it will last long.

In terms of “chanign his mind”, all they did was change his status from “resigned” to a “leave of absense”. I think a big reason for that is by taking a leave of absence, he is still considered an employee of the Univ., which gives his family security by providing him some level of salary AND BENEFITS so that he can persue all the necessary health-care options and treatments that he needs. Actually, it’s a good gesture on the part of the university to keep him on leave and not let him resign (My guess is Meyer never thought this part through). His family will be much better protected this way.

[quote=“MarkH, post:9, topic:549”]I think back to the problems Pat Flannery had at Bucknell. When you’re that involved and that emotionally attached, I think it’s almost impossible to back away far enough and be satisfied… at least at the same level/program. If he does come back the the sidelines, I very much doubt it will last long.

In terms of “chanign his mind”, all they did was change his status from “resigned” to a “leave of absense”. I think a big reason for that is by taking a leave of absence, he is still considered an employee of the Univ., which gives his family security by providing him some level of salary AND BENEFITS so that he can persue all the necessary health-care options and treatments that he needs. Actually, it’s a good gesture on the part of the university to keep him on leave and not let him resign (My guess is Meyer never thought this part through). His family will be much better protected this way.[/quote]

Florida already said he would stay on in some capacity following the resignation.

I think this is just second thoughts.

Man these guys are narcissists, though. He got into coaching for his family and his faith? How about “I liked it and I was good at it.”

[quote="MarkH, post:9, topic:549"]I think back to the problems Pat Flannery had at Bucknell. When you're that involved and that emotionally attached, I think it's almost impossible to back away far enough and be satisfied.... at least at the same level/program. If he does come back the the sidelines, I very much doubt it will last long.

In terms of “chanign his mind”, all they did was change his status from “resigned” to a “leave of absense”. I think a big reason for that is by taking a leave of absence, he is still considered an employee of the Univ., which gives his family security by providing him some level of salary AND BENEFITS so that he can persue all the necessary health-care options and treatments that he needs. Actually, it’s a good gesture on the part of the university to keep him on leave and not let him resign (My guess is Meyer never thought this part through). His family will be much better protected this way.[/quote]

Florida already said he would stay on in some capacity following the resignation.

I think this is just second thoughts.

Man these guys are narcissists, though. He got into coaching for his family and his faith? How about “I liked it and I was good at it.”

I know beans about Meyer…BUT it always seems to be the case that people who talk of the extreme importance of faith and family are described by family as being workaholic types!

Seems odd that he would announce his retirement so suddenly, and then significantly change his mind the next day. Perhaps he caught Brett Favre syndrome?

No coach currently is more self-absorbed and arrogant as Urbie.
That said, if he is ill, I wish him and his family the best.
Really, this announcement could not have waited until he and the Christ child played their bowl game?

When “spin” goes bad…

Urban Meyer retirement

Meyer, 45, says he consulted with his family, his doctors, school president Bernie Machen and athletic director Jeremy Foley before deciding it is in his best interest to focus on his health and family. Meyer told his wife and three children on Christmas he planned to quit as Florida coach, The Times reported.

He told The Times his daughter Nicki, 18, hugged him and said, “I get my daddy back.”

I saw it as a sign from God that this was the right thing to do,” Meyer told The Times of his daughter’s reaction. “I was worried about letting people down. I was feeling so awful and concerned about my health. That was among several other signs that said it’s time to back away.”

…on second thought, what does God know? Who cares what he thinks…

…and Nikki, say “bye bye” to Daddy again !!!