PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT - Trustees election

Is there a slate of candidates for the board that believes the board did the right thing in firing Spanier and Paterno? Everything I see seems to the the revenge ticket.

Is there a place with objective information on this?

I thought I read that all candidate bios will be posted sometime before elections open next month.

IMHO, this election of Trustees is about much more than cleaning up the Sandusky incident and apologizing to Joe’s family. This is really about the opportunity to position the university for the future. There is no doubt in my mind that post-secondary education is in for a major shock and significant overhaul in the coming years. Frankly, it is just too expensive and we’re producing too many grads who have huge debt and degrees with little value. College/univesity budgets are bloated, too many professors teaching too few classes, physical plants way overbuilt, low utilization rates for buildings, etc. I want to see some candidates whose goals are to reduce costs and tuition by 30% in the coming years. I also want to see candidates who vow that every student will graduate with a classic liberal arts education – English, history, math, science, foreign language, and then you take courses in your major. I also think Erickson was on the right track with emphasis on research. Do those three things (lower tuition, classic liberal arts education, and focus on research) and the students will flock to PSU and so will recruiters and corporate research money.

Yes, I think my statement was a bit reactionary. What I am looking for is candidates not motivated by Joe’s firing and without a Tea Party attitude toward higher ed.

I’d rather have a “tea party” attitude than a “Occupy” attitude At least the tea party grads find jobs… ::slight_smile:

Yes, I think my statement was a bit reactionary. What I am looking for is candidates *not* motivated by Joe's firing and without a Tea Party attitude toward higher ed.
I'd rather have a "tea party" attitude than a "Occupy" attitude At least the tea party grads find jobs... ::)

Tea Party employment numbers hurt by retirement skew.
Infographic

[quote=“Great Santini, post:3, topic:3089”]IMHO, this election of Trustees is about much more than cleaning up the Sandusky incident and apologizing to Joe’s family. This is really about the opportunity to position the university for the future.

Do those three things (lower tuition, classic liberal arts education, and focus on research) and the students will flock to PSU and so will recruiters and corporate research money.[/quote]

It could be, and should be about more, but I fear that it will not be. Too many blowhards in the race will make it near impossible for anyone to focus on menaingful issues.

The thing is, in my eyes, Penn State’s increased focus on research has come at the expense of affordable tuition and the liberal arts, which are presumeably two of the principals of Land-Grant Universities. Agriculture is another area that has been slowly, but steadily gutted.

[quote="Great Santini, post:3, topic:3089"]IMHO, this election of Trustees is about much more than cleaning up the Sandusky incident and apologizing to Joe's family. This is really about the opportunity to position the university for the future.

Do those three things (lower tuition, classic liberal arts education, and focus on research) and the students will flock to PSU and so will recruiters and corporate research money.[/quote]

It could be, and should be about more, but I fear that it will not be. Too many blowhards in the race will make it near impossible for anyone to focus on menaingful issues.

The thing is, in my eyes, Penn State’s increased focus on research has come at the expense of affordable tuition and the liberal arts, which are presumeably two of the principals of Land-Grant Universities. Agriculture is another area that has been slowly, but steadily gutted.

Are the liberal arts any part of the Land-Grant charter? I always thought that that heritage was the reason why the liberal arts colleges were so weak when I was a student in the late 70s and early 80s. The colleges have been tremendous beneficiaries of the efforts to improve Penn State in the decades since.

[quote="Great Santini, post:3, topic:3089"]IMHO, this election of Trustees is about much more than cleaning up the Sandusky incident and apologizing to Joe's family. This is really about the opportunity to position the university for the future.

Why are tuition and research even related? Seems like grants, etc. should fund research and tuition should pay for education.

The wording of the Morrill Act, Section 4 are “…without excluding other scientific and classical studies, and including military tactics, to teach such branches of learning as are related to agriculture and the mechanic arts, in such manner as teh legislatures of the States may respectively prescribe, in order to promote the liberal and practical education of the industrial classes in the several pursuits and professions in life.”

Now, trying what I can remember of a term paper I wrote my Freshman year, back in waning days of the typewriter…Penn State was founded as a state Land-Grant school before the Morrill & Hatch Acts, but was later designated the official federal Land-Grant school for PA, and thus beholden to the Federal acts.

Morrill felt that colleges of the day were not practical enough. He felt that the country’s future lied in advancing agriculture & engineering (mechanic arts). So yes, the focus was on Ag & Engineering.

However, the wording for classical studies and liberal education was added to appease those who felt that the traditional liberal arts education was also important for the industrial class who could not afford to go to the private colleges.

Military tactics was added in an attempt to narrow the knowledge gap between the officers & the enlisted men.

The Hatch Act really pused the idea of outreach education to the community via Ag-Extension programs.

Penn State never had a strong foundation in the Liberal Arts, and I think that it’s not getting any stronger. The focus seems to be more on developing research oriented programs like IST & Forensic Sciences while allowing programs like American Studies & Religious Studies to wither & die.

The college of Ag, including Ag Extension gets hit harder every year.

Access for the industrial class, well, say no more.

Now, I’m not saying that all change & expansion is bad. Penn State has become the type of school that the BoT wanted & has changed considerably since we joined the BigTen. They hired & extended Spanier to drive the bus to where they wanted it to go. Again, it’s not all bad. However, I think we’ve long reached the point where both Penn State and the Commonwealth need to re-evaluate the mission, priorities & finances of the University. I also feel that the structure of teh BoT has been flawed for a long time and needs to be changes, which would require major partipication from the Legislature.

Now is not time for single issue blindness.

[quote="tjb, post:4, topic:3089"]Yes, I think my statement was a bit reactionary. What I am looking for is candidates *not* motivated by Joe's firing and without a Tea Party attitude toward higher ed.[/quote] I'd rather have a "tea party" attitude than a "Occupy" attitude At least the tea party grads find jobs... ::)

Tea Party employment numbers hurt by retirement skew.
Infographic

Tea Party’s racist? Unsubstantiated, but typical of the left. Feminism, environmentalism and an occasionally played race card dominate it. As there were more instances of rape at OWS than racism at TP events, maybe we should add “rapists” to the OWS side of the ledger. Only fair, no?

I’m of the line that PSU has pushed their research costs beyond their funding and have focused their fundraising on things that are only tangentially related to education and require even more money to maintain. Namely new facilities, which only further compounds OPP which is one of the most inefficient bureaucracies in the history of bureaucracies.

[quote=“tjb, post:1, topic:3089”]Is there a slate of candidates for the board that believes the board did the right thing in firing Spanier and Paterno? Everything I see seems to the the revenge ticket.

Is there a place with objective information on this?[/quote]

Probably the incumbents?

I want trustees who will push for change EVERY opportunity they can. This 30 something mostly political appointee board is beyond silly. Will the politicians give up their power…NOT without a huge fight. I want trustees who will fight for change at every turn!!

Define change.

Change isn’t always necessary, or even good. In this case, the Board of Trustees seems to just need a new coat of paint. Get some fresh blood in there so the bad blood can be gotten rid of.

What has the existing board done wrong, outside of the Sandusky situation?

I’d say it was more the Paterno situation than the Sandusky situation at this point. And probably more perception than reality. Although a lot of things certainly could have been handled better, in hindsight (hmmm), was the end result still going to be the end result? Probably. Seems to me that a round of new trustees elected (3 total) would do wonders for relations with alumni.

They may have done everything else right, but the way this has been handled has been FUBAR’D to the max. The only person that was fired in the whole mess was the only one that did what he was supposed to. Curley is on administrative leave and the university is paying his legal bills. Spanier resigned. Shultz resigned. McQueary is on administrative leave. Joepa was fired after 61 years of service over the phone. Those reasons right there are reason enough to clean house.

Ever inflating budget for one. Growing up around and having a parent who works for the University it is easy for me to see how money is wasted needlessly. Their solution is to continually put those costs on the undergrads.

I’ll stop at that because there are a number of fiscally irresponsible things that go on at the University.