PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT - Tour de France

Surprised that I didn’t see any thread throughout the Tour on here, seeing that we seem to have a lot of people who follow random sports happenings on here…especially one as compelling as the Tour has been this year.

Anyway, just thought I’d give a big “Aussie, Aussie, Aussie…Oi, Oi, Oi” to my son’s favourite cyclist Cadel Evans for winning his first Tour de France. In fact, my son’s followed him religiously since 2006, when he was five years old which I find puzzling to say the least.

Do you have any weird sports figures or teams that you follow for interesting reasons? Let’s hear about them.

Also from cycling is the legendary hardman Jens Voigt. He’d be my choice. He has his own twitter following of Jens Voigt Facts, similar to the Chuck Norris Facts idea.

Nittany, here’s one. Ever since I bought my wilson n-code racquet about 3 years ago(I wanted the Federer racquet but was talked out of it as it’s only 90 sq in head) I discovered that was the model I ended up buying was the one Mardy Fish uses (or did, until Wilson’s change about a year ago). Well, it’s been a very interesting story…

He never really made a big spalsh, then about 2 years ago he got married, and unlike most pros, at 29 and married his game IMPROVED. With the motivation of the new Mrs Fish, he shunned the BK whopper diet, dropped almost 20 lbs (amazing he played top 100 tennis with all the weight) and re-dedicated himself to his fitness… he’s now got his world ranking up to #9 and is now the top ranked US male player. He just beat Isner (of the long Wimbeldon match fame) in 3 to win the Atlanta ATP event on Sunday.

It’s been quite fun watching him fulfull his poptentail, and at the “old” age of 29 I really believe he appreciates every miniute of it.

Since I started following the Tour and cycling in general (probably in 96 after I ran into Miguel Indurain at the Atlanta Olympics), I’ve taken a liking to Jens Voigt. I love guys who can crash hard onto the pavement and just get back on their bike regardless of the pain. That’s Jens in a nutshell. And many guys in the Tour for that matter. In fact, Johnny Hoogerland, he of “car meet biker, biker meet barbed wire” fame, has now become my son’s second favorite cyclist. And I have to agree with his choice.

As for Mardy Fish. I have to admit I don’t follow tennis, but his name just flashed into my consciousness after seeing him in the headline of the Atlanta JC as I dove into my Cheerios this morning. Didn’t know much of him or that he is now the top American. Good trivia question if you ask me.

I’m surprised nobody mentioned that on one of the mountain stages, one of those people who run along side the leaders for a hundred yards had a PSU sweatshirt on. I was 95% sure it was a PSU shirt, and then about a minute later, the next group went by and the guy did the same thing and I confirmed it.

Locksmith,

Thanks for sending me this article on Jens via PM…I must share…

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303661904576454451021920040.html

In fact, my son and I were watching the race live when Volgt went off the mountain and down the slight ravine, only to carry himself and his bike back onto the road to continue. We both got a laugh about that one. My son then reminded me of the time Jens crashed hard several years ago while clocking 60 mph (not kph) down a descent onto the road, causing a concussion. The race doctors would not let him continue, though you know Voigt wanted to. Yes, even my ten year old knows and appreciates the legend that is Jens.

Oh and I must share this (complete with his crash from 2009 that did knock him from the Tour)…

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/21/refusing-to-quit-the-tour-de-france/

Cletus…do you remember the stage?..I still have all of the Alps on my DVR and can spin through to check.

I am a HUGE Tour de France fan. I DVR and watch every stage. My friends rip on me for it, and it’s almost a running joke. Every July, I get my phony French accent and try to work the word peleton into every conversation.

My lady likes to see all the French countryside (when she walks in and out of the room).

Fantastic site for all you Jens Voigt fans or soon to be Jens fans…

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

He alone makes cycling an enjoyable watch.

Skeeza…my wife said to me after the Tour had ended…you two (my son and I) will go through withdrawal. In fact, my son asked me today…Monday morning…any live sports on TV.

We have a few cousins who live in France and either next year or for the 100th anniversary of the Tour in two years, we will make the trek. It will be an easy sell for the spouse since we spent half our honeymoon traveling through France. Though I will miss following the Tour on TV…best seat in the house if you ask me.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:7, topic:2567”]I am a HUGE Tour de France fan. I DVR and watch every stage. My friends rip on me for it, and it’s almost a running joke. Every July, I get my phony French accent and try to work the word peleton into every conversation.

My lady likes to see all the French countryside (when she walks in and out of the room).[/quote]

It’s that time of year again. I am in Hog Heaven !!! ;D

I am a HUGE Tour de France fan. I DVR and watch every stage. My friends rip on me for it, and it's almost a running joke. Every July, I get my phony French accent and try to work the word peleton into every conversation.

My lady likes to see all the French countryside (when she walks in and out of the room).

It’s that time of year again. I am in Hog Heaven !!! ;D

You and me both. Great finish to today’s Stage 1.

Thanks for bringing back the thread. Last year I had to start it up after the Tour was over.