PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT: Tom Bradley to Pitt?

:-\

I too hate he’s going to Pitt. I just found my Sh*tt on Pitt shirt the other day in a box of clothes.

Just hope he doesn’t take too many of our coaches with him.

Wish him luck. I think he’ll do fine and maybe after he gets some head coaching experience and when Joepa retires he’ll come back.

Bradley did not text any players, has not been offered Pitt job ???

http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2011/01/conflicting_reports_on_tom_bra.html

Wow DJones with a premature send on a story.

Any chance that the hesitation on Scrap accepting is PSU finally putting a succession plan and timetable in place for JoePa?

[quote=“jjepsu92, post:4, topic:1732”]Wow DJones with a premature send on a story.

Any chance that the hesitation on Scrap accepting is PSU finally putting a succession plan and timetable in place for JoePa?[/quote]

I thought the same thing. PSU has to realize that if Scrap leaves, then he might take along a few other assistants with him. Then recruits follow and who knows what happens. Someone had to force their hand and ironically that someone might be Pitt.

It’s apparent that Bradley and Al Golden were told by someone at Penn State that the succession plan for Paterno does not include either of them. I like both and think either would be an excellent HC for Penn State, but at best they could be candidates to succeed the coach that succeeds JoePa. It certainly leaves one wondering what direction Spanier/Curley will take when Joe does step down. I can hardly believe that Penn State will go completely outside “the family” for the next football coach, but that’s how this is shaping up.

Is there any truth with Bradley going to Pitt?

Like the adage goes…where there’s smoke…and there’s been a whole ton of smoke.

Leading candidate…but no offer yet… per PPG.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11006/1115900-233.stm

[quote=“Evan Ceg, post:6, topic:1732”]It’s apparent that Bradley and Al Golden were told by someone at Penn State that the succession plan for Paterno does not include either of them. I like both and think either would be an excellent HC for Penn State, but at best they could be candidates to succeed the coach that succeeds JoePa. It certainly leaves one wondering what direction Spanier/Curley will take when Joe does step down. I can hardly believe that Penn State will go completely outside “the family” for the next football coach, but that’s how this is shaping up. [/quote]Going outside the program is the best thing they can do. Bradley has been a solid coach but has been around Joe way to long . For this team to get back to where everyone wants them they need a fresh start.

[quote="Evan Ceg, post:6, topic:1732"]It's apparent that Bradley and Al Golden were told by someone at Penn State that the succession plan for Paterno does not include either of them. I like both and think either would be an excellent HC for Penn State, but at best they could be candidates to succeed the coach that succeeds JoePa. It certainly leaves one wondering what direction Spanier/Curley will take when Joe does step down. I can hardly believe that Penn State will go completely outside "the family" for the next football coach, but that's how this is shaping up.[/quote]Going outside the program is the best thing they can do. Bradley has been a solid coach but has been around Joe way to long . For this team to get back to where everyone wants them they need a fresh start.
I think for both Bradley and Golden, they realize that waiting for Joe is a pointess exercise. They need to do what's in their own best interest, because you cannot be certain of the timing of anything with Joe. I think both of them getting outside experience at this point put them in better shape to replace Joe 100 years from now when her does step down.
[quote="Evan Ceg, post:6, topic:1732"]It's apparent that Bradley and Al Golden were told by someone at Penn State that the succession plan for Paterno does not include either of them. I like both and think either would be an excellent HC for Penn State, but at best they could be candidates to succeed the coach that succeeds JoePa. It certainly leaves one wondering what direction Spanier/Curley will take when Joe does step down. I can hardly believe that Penn State will go completely outside "the family" for the next football coach, but that's how this is shaping up.[/quote]Going outside the program is the best thing they can do. Bradley has been a solid coach but has been around Joe way to long . For this team to get back to where everyone wants them they need a fresh start.
I think for both Bradley and Golden, they realize that waiting for Joe is a pointess exercise. They need to do what's in their own best interest, because you cannot be certain of the timing of anything with Joe. I think both of them getting outside experience at this point put them in better shape to replace Joe 100 years from now when her does step down.
That or maybe Bradley realizes (has been told) he won't be getting the PSU job when Joe is finished.

Wait! According to this, Bradley has been offered the HC job at Penn State!

http://www.ecanadanow.com/world/us-world/2011/01/06/tom-bradley-running-to-be-penn-state-coach/comment-page-1/

And since it’s on the Internet, it must be true. Goofy Canadians… :wink:

[quote="jjepsu92, post:4, topic:1732"]Wow DJones with a premature send on a story.

Any chance that the hesitation on Scrap accepting is PSU finally putting a succession plan and timetable in place for JoePa?[/quote]

I thought the same thing. PSU has to realize that if Scrap leaves, then he might take along a few other assistants with him. Then recruits follow and who knows what happens. Someone had to force their hand and ironically that someone might be Pitt.

[quote="MarkH, post:11, topic:1732"]I think for both Bradley and Golden, they realize that waiting for Joe is a pointess exercise. They need to do what's in their own best interest, because you cannot be certain of the timing of anything with Joe. I think both of them getting outside experience at this point put them in better shape to replace Joe 100 years from now when her does step down.[/quote]That or maybe Bradley realizes (has been told) he won't be getting the PSU job when Joe is finished.

WHERE DO YOU PEOPLE COME UP WITH THIS STUFF ?!?!?!?!??!!

It blows my mind how other will insert their own little drama into these situations !!! Paterno and his staff has been saying the same thing for decades, and it has proven to be the truth time after time after time,… but people still keep coming up with this crap.

[quote="jjepsu92, post:4, topic:1732"]Wow DJones with a premature send on a story.

[quote="MarkH, post:11, topic:1732"]I think for both Bradley and Golden, they realize that waiting for Joe is a pointess exercise. They need to do what's in their own best interest, because you cannot be certain of the timing of anything with Joe. I think both of them getting outside experience at this point put them in better shape to replace Joe 100 years from now when her does step down.[/quote]That or maybe Bradley realizes (has been told) he won't be getting the PSU job when Joe is finished.

It blows my mind how other will insert their own little drama into these situations !!! Paterno and his staff has been saying the same thing for decades, and it has proven to be the truth time after time after time,… but people still keep coming up with this crap.

What has Joe said about this situation ?

If Bradley was the shoe-in for Joe’s replacement, why on earth would he be interviewing for Temple, Pitt and UConn?

If Bradley was the shoe-in for Joe’s replacement, why on earth would he be interviewing for Temple, Pitt and UConn?

BECAUSE THERE IS NO SHOE-IN !! THERE IS NO ‘SUCCESSION PLAN’ !!! That’s what he’s been saying.

If the only reason why Bradley was staying was for the HC position, then why would he have stuck around for 32 YEARS !!!

Can you name ANY OTHER coach who has served under the same head coach for 32 years? How about serving at the same school for 32 years?

Bradley should have left a few years ago like Golden did. Get some HC experience elsewhere to make himself a more viable candidate. At this point with Joe’s departure becoming more and more imminent and likely to be unplanned he should stay put and hope for the promotion. (i.e. the Jerry Dunn method (just had to get a hoops reference in :slight_smile: )

Leaving now he would be required to promise his new school that he won’t go back for the PSU job for several years. I don’t see Joe going past next year, so he’d be giving up his dream for a job at Pitt, UConn, etc???

A lot of people point out how longtime lieutenants haven’t fared well replacing their legendary bosses. And I agree that it has been true, but Bradley isn’t like those guys. The promoted coach was typically the CEO under the head man. An older organizational guy, but not a dynamic leader and recruiter. Bradley is the type of guy who I think would succeed based on the fact that he is a tremendous recruiter and very well liked and respected.

BECAUSE THERE IS NO SHOE-IN !! THERE IS NO ‘SUCCESSION PLAN’ !!! That’s what he’s been saying.

If the only reason why Bradley was staying was for the HC position, then why would he have stuck around for 32 YEARS !!!

Can you name ANY OTHER coach who has served under the same head coach for 32 years? How about serving at the same school for 32 years?

Maybe because being an Asst. at PSU IS a DREAM JOB in itself! Huge salary and JOB security. Job security is unheard of in that occupation! Look at the resumes of most coaches at other schools!
Maybe Tom really enjoyed this dream job in a dream town with a dream salary!!

I’m being told in Pittsburgh that ~itt is negotiating with Bradley. Sticking point is he wants asst. coach salaries OVER ~itt’s planned budget!

Yesterday morning, I heard some commercial on the radio for a car dealership here in Pittsburgh. It said something alongs the lines of “It’s Tom Bradley Time in Pittsburgh” or “Welcome Tom Bradley”, I can’t remember exactly what they said, but it seems like quite the mistake if nothing was official.