OT: Tim Curley Email

A friend of mine recently purchased an autographed football helmet as part of a Children’s Miracle Network fundraiser. The football helmet includes signatures from most of the 2010 roster but does not include Joe Paterno. I was wondering if I got in touch with Tim if he could get Joe to sign the helmet for this generous bidder. I can be emailed at danlauver@gmail.com with any info that may be helpful.

Thanks
Dan Lauver

[quote=“danlauver, post:1, topic:1215”]A friend of mine recently purchased an autographed football helmet as part of a Children’s Miracle Network fundraiser. The football helmet includes signatures from most of the 2010 roster but does not include Joe Paterno. I was wondering if I got in touch with Tim if he could get Joe to sign the helmet for this generous bidder. I can be emailed at danlauver@gmail.com with any info that may be helpful.

Thanks
Dan Lauver[/quote]

The football office has pretty much let it be known that Paterno doesn’t sign things anymore. My guess would be that if you contact Curley he will simply give you the party line but you’re welcome to try.

tmc3@psu.edu

Besides, I’m not exactly sure the athletic director will appreciate being thought of a signature procurer.

Plus, even if you do wind up getting a signature on the helmet, chances are pretty good that someone other than Joe will have actually been the one to have signed it.

[quote="danlauver, post:1, topic:1215"]A friend of mine recently purchased an autographed football helmet as part of a Children's Miracle Network fundraiser. The football helmet includes signatures from most of the 2010 roster but does not include Joe Paterno. I was wondering if I got in touch with Tim if he could get Joe to sign the helmet for this generous bidder. I can be emailed at danlauver@gmail.com with any info that may be helpful.

Thanks
Dan Lauver[/quote]

The football office has pretty much let it be known that Paterno doesn’t sign things anymore.

Unless you’ve got connections. :wink:

I have an autographed football from Coach Paterno that my Father got for me when I graduated from PSU. Still pretty tough to come by even with all the people he knows in the AD.

Maybe you could spend a day camped outside of the Lasch building and ask him on his way to or from his car.

I wonder if there is a health reason behind him not signing autographs anymore. Most likely it is due to the overwhelming demand and his age that he won’t sign anymore. I can’t blame famous people for not signing these days. There is a good chance that anything you sign for free today will be for sale on Ebay tomorrow and you don’t get a red cent. It’s not fair and I don’t care if you have a billion $s in the bank already.

I’ve been hoping to get his autograph on a reprint of the SI cover with “You Go Joe” and Poz on the cover. I obtained Poz’s autograph a few years ago and have been hoping to get Joe’s ever since. To be honest I wouldn’t care if his secrectary or a machine signed it for him. I have no interest in ever selling it so I won’t mind being blissfully unaware of it’s authenticity.

[quote="danlauver, post:1, topic:1215"]A friend of mine recently purchased an autographed football helmet as part of a Children's Miracle Network fundraiser. The football helmet includes signatures from most of the 2010 roster but does not include Joe Paterno. I was wondering if I got in touch with Tim if he could get Joe to sign the helmet for this generous bidder. I can be emailed at danlauver@gmail.com with any info that may be helpful.

Thanks
Dan Lauver[/quote]

The football office has pretty much let it be known that Paterno doesn’t sign things anymore.

Unless you’ve got connections. :wink:

I have an autographed football from Coach Paterno that my Father got for me when I graduated from PSU. Still pretty tough to come by even with all the people he knows in the AD.

I 2nd that one. My father has numerous items signed by Paterno himself. One of my fathers ex -students had him sign and drop a little note to my father on a framed photo as a retirment gift. It can happen just might have to work at it :wink:

I’ve heard Joe hasn’t signed the random requests for autographs for many years now.

A couple of years ago, my wife got me Joe’s autograph as a Christmas gift. One of her friends at work (a newly graduated PSU alum) was dating a player. She asked her friend if the player might be able to get Joe’s autograph. I guess the player asked and got the autograph and it was even personalized to me. She spent lots of money on other gifts but that was by far the best.

My wife took a photo of me with a stand-up Joe. It was perfect. Most would think it was the “real” Joe. She mailed it to him and he returned it signed
Dear Tundra The guy next to you looks like a real dummy!. The best Joe Paterno

I remember worrying about autographs as a kid, but it always seems odd to me now that anyone would put much value in the signature of another person. I realize plenty of people do, but I just don’t get it personally.

I used to be an autograph hound as a kid but I grew out of a little. Only collecting people I meet. But I don’t pester them. The only autograph I have that I didn’t see it signed is Joe Paterno. All others I have seen signed. Bob Feller, Pete Rose, etc.

What’s funny is that the chances of any of these signatures actually being Joe’s is slim. Most of the Paterno signatures that are floating around are either done by a signing machine that they have in the office or by Spider Caldwell the team manager. When I read each of these posts, I sense people thinking “Well mine’s real because I got it through so and so, it’s everybody else who has a fake”. Guess what? Chances are even when you went through someone who knew Joe, they knew enough not to ask him and would just go to the machine or ask Spider.

Nice, I got a piece of something that has someone’s name written on it by them! :smiley:

That could very well be the truth. But in my case the player could have just said “Coach doesn’t sign anything anymore” and my wife would have been totally fine with that since it was just a chance thing.

[quote=“UncleLar, post:11, topic:1215”]What’s funny is that the chances of any of these signatures actually being Joe’s is slim. Most of the Paterno signatures that are floating around are either done by a signing machine that they have in the office or by Spider Caldwell the team manager. I read each of these posts I sense people thinking “Well mine’s real because I got it through so and so, it’s everybody else who has a fake”. Guess what? Chances are even when you went through someone who knew Joe, they knew enough not to ask him and would just go to the machine or ask Spider.[/quote]Well considering Joe was in town visiting a recruit and his family, and it was the recruits little brother who got the picture and autograph signed. I’m guessing it was probably real. I know you hate to think you might be wrong , but trust me Larry you def are on this one :-*

That is quite interesting, as I have no idea the inner workings of Joe and his autograph. As a kid I received from my Father (he bid and won this football in the early 80’s - forget what function it was that they had this bid) a 1977 signed football by the entire team (1977 was the year I was born - hense my dad wanting to bid on it for me). Would something even that old be suspect???

[quote="UncleLar, post:11, topic:1215"]What's funny is that the chances of any of these signatures actually being Joe's is slim. Most of the Paterno signatures that are floating around are either done by a signing machine that they have in the office or by Spider Caldwell the team manager. I read each of these posts I sense people thinking "Well mine's real because I got it through so and so, it's everybody else who has a fake". Guess what? Chances are even when you went through someone who knew Joe, they knew enough not to ask him and would just go to the machine or ask Spider.[/quote]

That is quite interesting, as I have no idea the inner workings of Joe and his autograph. As a kid I received from my Father (he bid and won this football in the early 80’s - forget what function it was that they had this bid) a 1977 signed football by the entire team (1977 was the year I was born - hense my dad wanting to bid on it for me). Would something even that old be suspect???

You’ve certainly got a better chance than most. Spider Caldwell’s been the team manager since 1982. It was sometime in the 80s that he started signing for Joe but my guess is that it probably would have been later in the decade rather than earlier. As far as the signing machine goes, I have no idea other than it’s been around a long time too.

Thanks to Lar I guess we will need to move this parade to its raindate.

[quote="UncleLar, post:11, topic:1215"]What's funny is that the chances of any of these signatures actually being Joe's is slim. Most of the Paterno signatures that are floating around are either done by a signing machine that they have in the office or by Spider Caldwell the team manager. I read each of these posts I sense people thinking "Well mine's real because I got it through so and so, it's everybody else who has a fake". Guess what? Chances are even when you went through someone who knew Joe, they knew enough not to ask him and would just go to the machine or ask Spider.[/quote]Well considering Joe was in town visiting a recruit and his family, and it was the recruits little brother who got the picture and autograph signed. I'm guessing it was probably real. I know you hate to think you might be wrong , but trust me Larry you def are on this one :-*

I didn’t say every one of them was fake, I said most of them - and I stand by that statement.

[quote="UncleLar, post:11, topic:1215"]What's funny is that the chances of any of these signatures actually being Joe's is slim. Most of the Paterno signatures that are floating around are either done by a signing machine that they have in the office or by Spider Caldwell the team manager. I read each of these posts I sense people thinking "Well mine's real because I got it through so and so, it's everybody else who has a fake". Guess what? Chances are even when you went through someone who knew Joe, they knew enough not to ask him and would just go to the machine or ask Spider.[/quote]

OK. I’ve got two of 'em

1. I have a copy of “Football my way” I’m sure was signed by Joe. It was signed to my Grandmother with “Thanks for all the years of loyalty”. It was a gift to her by her brother, with the 72 cotton bowl score written inside, so my guess is it was signed sometime during the (Lar, I’m sure THAT one is authenic!!)
  2. My grandmother also won a football signed by the Orange bowl back-to-back teams. As a kid, I remember looking at it and recognizing Ham’s and Mitchell’s names (and MANY others, but I don’t think Joe was one). However, it’s been “passed around” the family some, and now all but the signatures on the bottom have faded… Ham’s and one or tow others are still legible, but that’s all (I be there were at least 20-25 signatures on it, all told) Does anyone know of anyone or anyway that these signatures could be restored?? I don’t have big $$ to go all CSI or anything, but I don’t know what’s even possible.

I’ve always thought it was a pretty goofy thing to want somebody else’s autograph. But just this past year I made an exception and got my first and only autograph - I got Talor Battle to sign a #12 jersey at the autograph signing session after a game. It seems even goofier for a grown man to ask a college kid for an autograph, so I borrowed my friend’s 3-year-old son so that I would be less embarrassed. Unfortunately, the kid got cranky standing in line, so they bolted. I was left with the choice of sticking it out or heading home. When you have a man-crush you tend to do goofy things, so, I stuck around and asked him for the autograph. I sure was embarrassed, but it is one of my most treasured possessions now. I just didn’t want him to think I was only getting it to try to sell it.

So, Craftsy, I can see both sides of it. Logically, it doesn’t make any sense, but so much about sports, at least on the fan side, doesn’t make logical sense. I mean why do we care so intensely about whether or not some young kids that we don’t even know win or lose a game of basketball against some other kids that we don’t know? We shouldn’t, but we do. And that’s OK. At least, that’s how I rationalize my irrationality with sports! :smiley: