PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

OT Threads

I thought mjg had a worthwhile suggestion and I figured that I’d solicit everyone’s opinion on the OT threads. Keep in mind though that this is a non-binding poll and tjb can do whatever he wants to regardless of what the poll results say.

Some combination of a A & B.

The OT threads do help get through the stagnant times, but at some point (measured by time or popularity of the OT), they should get moved to an OT board (The “OT Chamber?”).

I liked the OT thread idea. Don’t have to create a whole new board for them, but still keeps them organized in one spot.

I liked the way deadwood was set up. It showed up at the top of the men’s board, so you could tell if there was anything new posted without actually going to that board. I think that would be better than a third board. But a third board is better than the way we do it now – in my opinion anyway.

I like it the way it is. In truth, I seldom read the right wing stuff - or the replys BUT I don’t think it hurts the board.

As I said in the other thread, I enjoy reading the stuff. Occasionally I learn something new, and it is almost always entertaining to see Lar & Kid argue :wink:

If it was in a different forum, I’d probably never see it. So I think things are great the way they are.

I voted to move OT threads to a separate board. The only exceptions, IMO, would be earth-shattering PSU-related news, e.g. JoePa’s resignation. Also, I wonder if BIG 10 expansion talk, for example, would be considered OT?

I’m of the mind that non-sports OT stuff should be moved to a separate board. I would like to see sports-related topics, especially Penn State ones, stay on the main board.

Bulldog brought up the point I was going to make.

How are we to determin what is “OT”? How far off topic does it have to be?

The other question is when is it OT? What if a legit thread starts going that way (as usually happens)?

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

I could support that approach, certainly for including PSU sports. Other sports I could go either way on.

I’ve got to say, it’s probably best to ban them, and I think moving them to a separate board is the same as banning them. Few will visit the second board to read them.

However, this is a PSU hoops board and it is the offseason. It’s not that unusual to run thin on PSU hoops discussion topics in July and August. I like that this is not a PSU football board. Would we also put football posts on the separate board if OT topics go there? What about other sports?

I could see creating an OT sub-board if there were a huge number of OT subjects, but we never seem to get that many. If they go to another sub-board, they’ll get lost. I’m not going to spend the time on another board. Here, you at least get to see the OTs and can decide whether to read or not. And there are a lot of good ones.

And no one should be upset with having to read Kid’s posts in the OTs he creates. You know what’s going to be in there and what will likely be coming in when you choose not to move on to the next subject.

So…is this an off topic thread? :slight_smile:

[quote=“JohnT, post:13, topic:2617”]I could see creating an OT sub-board if there were a huge number of OT subjects, but we never seem to get that many. If they go to another sub-board, they’ll get lost. I’m not going to spend the time on another board. Here, you at least get to see the OTs and can decide whether to read or not. And there are a lot of good ones.

And no one should be upset with having to read Kid’s posts in the OTs he creates. You know what’s going to be in there and what will likely be coming in when you choose not to move on to the next subject.[/quote]

Recent non PSU related OT threads include:

Music Thread
Fantasy Football
Gas Industry (political thread)
OT’s Gone Wild (random)
NW Hoops Court (hoops related at least)
GTown - China Fight (hoops related)
Brands and Their Fans (maybe twisted into being college sports related)
Little League World Series
Testing Forum Upgrade (ok, this doesn’t really count)
AP Columnist on NCAA Reform (college athletics related)
Social Networking and Recruiting (college athletics related)
“Play Their Hearts Out” (a book)
Physically Disabled Athletes Competing Against Able Bodied Athletes (track and field related)
Maybe Colleges Recruiting Middle School Kids Isn’t So Bad After All (soccer related)
Entourage Season 8
Kirk Cousins Speech (B1G football related)
Michigan Basketball Recruit in Critical Condition
Tour de France
Movie Thread

PSU Non Hoops Related

Wrestling
Rockvale Outlets / AVCA College Volleyball Showcase
Props to the Field Hockey Team
Fanalysis (volleyball related)
PSU Ice Hockey
PSU Football
JoePa Injured
PSU Women’s Volleyball
Reporter Asks for Coach’s Autograph
FB 9 Game Conference Schedule

By my count, of the most recent 57 threads (not counting the pinned threads), 29 are not PSU Basketball related and 19 aren’t really PSU related. It’s a good mix of discussion, but I’d hardly say we don’t have a lot of OT threads. I don’t care what tjb decides. It’s a great board the way it is. I would prefer we separate the non PSU related threads at least. Not saying there has to be a hard and fast rule (some could argue a connection to several of the threads mentioned above). But some are so obvious (music, movies, fantasy football, gas drilling, tour de france, little league world series, etc.) and might keep them more active if they had their own section. I know I don’t always like to search for old threads when I want to add to it.

[quote=“psuarva, post:12, topic:2617”]I’ve got to say, it’s probably best to ban them, and I think moving them to a separate board is the same as banning them. Few will visit the second board to read them.

However, this is a PSU hoops board and it is the offseason. It’s not that unusual to run thin on PSU hoops discussion topics in July and August. I like that this is not a PSU football board. Would we also put football posts on the separate board if OT topics go there? What about other sports?[/quote]

I disagree. I think separating the the threads into another category would thin out the hoops board and the OT board making keeping threads active longer. I rarely go to the second page of threads.

[quote="psuarva, post:12, topic:2617"]I've got to say, it's probably best to ban them, and I think [b]moving them to a separate board is the same as banning them.[/b] Few will visit the second board to read them.

However, this is a PSU hoops board and it is the offseason. It’s not that unusual to run thin on PSU hoops discussion topics in July and August. I like that this is not a PSU football board. Would we also put football posts on the separate board if OT topics go there? What about other sports?[/quote]

I disagree. I think separating the the threads into another category would thin out the hoops board and the OT board making keeping threads active longer. I rarely go to the second page of threads.

That’s a valid point mjg. Now Tim is going to do what he wants to do which is fair, but I like that reasoning. Keep the Penn State sports/Big Ten basketball/hoop-related OT threads on the main board, move the non-related ones over to the “OTB” or Off Topic Board (a play on the “Off Track Betting” places that gamblers are familiar with in the NY area).

Though I think people should feel free to start OT threads over on the big board, especially during the off-season, so others know there is a topic, but move them as they wear out their welcome. Of course, every move like this always brings on another unwanted layer, as board/topic police will undoubtedly sprout up overnight in determining what topics belong on which board.

Some of the most interesting posts on this board, for me, are OT posts by tjb on eclectic subjects that invariably are thought-provoking. If tjb the webmaster is inclined to ban OT posts, or move them to a separate sub-board, I hope tjb the poster is able to prevail on him and convince him that would be unfortunate – at least from my perspective.

Electic…eclectic + electric? :slight_smile:

Personally, the OT stuff is part of what I love about being here. I too enjoy tim’s posts and thoughts… he reads and thinks in different circles than I do, and I very much appreciate his thinking (even if I don’t agree with him most of the time :wink: )

If they were moved to a seperate board space, I think we’d see a lot less diversity of opinion and that would be sad. In these days of Fox New/MSNBC and the like, it’s hard to find anywhere where you can get both sides of an argument that isn’t an annoying talking points/shouting match.